Really cold hands and feet

• Thread starter Sparklebrightisright62
  • Start Date
S

Sparklebrightisright62

Hi to all,

My hands and feet especially get really cold even in bed my feet feel like ice I have to wear more than one pair of socks and I also have a fleecy blanket on bottom of bed and a weighted blanket and a quilt on top of that I can't cope with ice feet it's awful possible to do with poor circulation but gp says my pulses are fine in my feet what could this be any ideas please.

I have had a lot of anxiety but could I be missing something important.
my legs are really pale white colour looks like no blood in them.

Sparklebright62.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get cold hands and feet where my fingers go white and numb. I know this is Reynauds. My Mum has it and my grandmother had it so I guess I inherited it.
It "flares up" when I am stressed. This could be the physical stress from a hypo which is a pain because I have no blood in my finger tips to check the hypo.

Te other thing to consider is that with all those blankets you could be over-insulating your feet and trapping in the cold. I find if I put a pair of thick gloves on over cold ands, they get colder. This is a challenge for me because it means I have to remember to put the gloves on as soon as I leave the house when my hands are still warm.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi to all,

My hands and feet especially get really cold even in bed my feet feel like ice I have to wear more than one pair of socks and I also have a fleecy blanket on bottom of bed and a weighted blanket and a quilt on top of that I can't cope with ice feet it's awful possible to do with poor circulation but gp says my pulses are fine in my feet what could this be any ideas please.

I have had a lot of anxiety but could I be missing something important.
my legs are really pale white colour looks like no blood in them.

Sparklebright62.

I've read of quite a few people who have had this and cured it with some iodine supplements.

I get it too sometimes especially when doing extended fasts.

Could be woo woo but there seem to be quite a few that it works for,,?

https://lifespa.com/iodine-deficiency/

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089KG17T1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For putting my feet on while I work at my desk.

I habitually wear sheepskin booties all day, and heat holder socks https://www.amazon.co.uk/HEAT-HOLDE...words=heat+holder+socks&qid=1611655261&sr=8-6 when my bed is cold. I also have an amazing, extremely light and lofty15tog pure down duvet (usually referred to as the ‘unicorn duvet’ because it was so hideously expensive even in the sales that we think it should be stuffed with unicorn fur and fairy wings) which only comes out when it’s very cold.

You could try an electric under blanket, they are very nice. But like In Response I find the key is not to let feet get cold in the first place.

Reactions: 1970clea

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was a teenager I used to push my feet out of the bottom of the blankets to cool them down. During my 40's/50's I had a Jack Russel/Terrier cross who loved to come into my bed and warm my feet. Now at 79 (with no dog) my feet are so cold that I have to warm them up on my legs before I can snuggle up close to my wife - yet my body gets so hot in bed that I sweat.

My blood sugars are well controlled and seldom go above 7 before breakfast (they are usually in the 5's) because I vary my insulin intake depending upon my exercise and diet. I only take between 30 - 34 units in the morning and 20 - 24 units in the evening plus 2 Metformin SR in the evening. I eat mainly salads with chicken, turkey, or fish and drink Green Tea with Lemon in the morning and Marmite the rest of the day. I also have had Diabetic Neuropathy for about 30 years.

Any suggestions about curing cold feet?

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could try an electric under blanket, they are very nice. But like In Response I find the key is not to let feet get cold in the first place.

Having just raised this very subject elsewhere I'll pop in here to agree vehemently.

If I don't get into bed with already warm feet, or with the bed heated up by my electric blanket, then they stay cold (and in fact get worse).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my ancestors used to visit a 'big house' regularly because it had a Gingko Biloba tree in the garden, aka the maidenhair tree. It is not the same thing as the maidenhair fern. The leaves were used to make a tea as a remedy for poor circulation, but they should not be used by women of childbearing age though they are safe later in life.
I believe that an extract can be bought as tablets now a days.
It might be worth a trial - a fair few things once regarded as old wives tales have been found to have benefits.