Newly diagnosed type 2 and very confused.

Little Fat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
running, balls
Thats what I like to hear so advice going forward.

Red meat yes/no ?
Full fat or low fat ?
Whole grain breads ?

Overall Carb total a day ?

Again ive not had chance to speak with dietician yet only my GP who gave me 3 pieces of paper and sent me on my way... all im eating right now is Sausage,eggs and baked beans as i dont know what else to have lol

Red meat Yes, prefer organic and grass fed grass finished organs also good
Full fat for yogurt greek better , natrual chess, full cream. Milk ..depends because of lactose, most low fat dairy product gone thur many process. And Low card also need good fat.
Whole grain breads, better not until you have stabilised your blood sugar, go for keto bread (mainly almond flour/ coconut flour)

If you want to have better control less than 50g carbs per day and get it from natural form not processed. Start from 100g then 50g per day. Tell your doctor if you are on insulin or insulin stimulus drug.

For low carb most of the carbs is from non starchy vegetables and greens, avoid fruit especially those sweet, berries is good and also avocado.

1) low carb with good fat
2) fasting
3) exercise

monitor your c-peptide and fatty liver

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,

Just got told a few days ago I'm type 2 and my blood was at 52 and the normal is somewhere between 36-41 or something along those lines.
Since then my GP has game me leaflets describing what to eat. The obvious ones to lose weight reduce portion size, smaller plate etc...

But then the rest is confusing just based on other diets ive read online.

So the leaflet from GP with BDA fact sheet - Include some carbs (wholegrain, fruit veg, low fat milk, low fat yoghurt)
Reduce intake of Cheese, butter, processed meats and pastry.
swap meat for beans pulses lentils...
sugar can be eaten but dont overdo it.

However then i've read some other things - High fat is good for blunting the glucose spike when eaten with carbs.. so eat high fat
Gow low carb and they also ear meats.

Just hoping someone could give me an idea of what i should be aiming to do as im making a shopping list tonight and a bit confused by it all.

Thanks
52 isn't the end of the world. That's only just outside of the pre-diabetic range. We have a habit of thinking in absolutes: you either have diabetes or you don't. The way I see it these days, it's more of a spectrum. At one end, you have people with perfect blood sugar management, regardless of what they eat, and on the other, people whose blood sugar is several times what it should be, unless they heavily medicate and moderate their diet.

A meter will give you snapshots at specific times. UK general medical advice is to stay below 8.5 mmol/l at all times, except for within 2 hours after a meal, when you're allowed to exceed that. Bear in mind that it's possible for a non-diabetic to go as high as 11 for a short time, after a heavy carb meal. In an ideal world, you'll want it to settle around the 4's and 5's. But it's also worth considering that someone who averages 6.5 mmol/l through meter testing probably won't get diagnosed as even pre-diabetic on an A1c test.

A Libre sensor will give you a better overall view, including how high food 'spikes' you within that 2 hour window, and whether it continues to affect your levels for more than 2 hours after. If you're really curious as to how your body responds to different foods, it can be worth the investment.

Frustratingly, blood sugar monitoring is very hit and miss. Allowed tolerances mean a genuine blood sugar level of 6 mmol/l can read as low as 5.1 or as high as 6.9. I've run 2 meters and a Libre simultaneously, and they don't agree. You can take 2 samples from the same finger with the same meter, back to back, and get substantially different results.

In your shoes, I'd buy a meter and eat as you were for a few days, to get an idea of what your bloods normally are and what spikes you (bread is the absolute killer for me.) Then adjust your diet to minimise carbohydrate (not just sugar) and see if it brings your numbers down. Starting from 52, you only really need to reduce your figures by about 25% to get back into the normal range.

I believe you're entitled to an A1c test every 6 months, so if your GP fobs you off with testing annually, I suggest you press for more frequent tests. Get the A1c result down into the 30s to low 40s, and you don't really have much to worry about. I halved mine from 76 to 39 without meds, just cutting out most carbs.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @fendertele ,

I'm yet another who has reduced my HbA1c to well within the normal range within 3 months of diagnosis by going very low carb. I've also lost over 30 kg without counting calories.

My advice is low carb but don't take it from me- test your levels before and 2 hours after a meal and see what that meal has done to your levels. My meter was the thing that showed me that the lower the carbs the better the blood sugar levels- when I carb creep I put on weight and my levels go up. neither of these is attractive to me. My usual carb intake is less than 20 grams a day- actually I try to keep it under 10 grams. Recently I've had a bit of carb creep- resulting in increased blood sugar levels (still in the normal range), increased weight and increased hungry and carb cravings.

For me low carb is what works- not my preferred diet but it works.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: fendertele

fendertele

So much fantastic info im going to be doing a lot of homework as i believe my first dietician appointment is a good while away so makes sense to make a start myself.

My main issue and it shouldnt be one as there are much more important things in life.. was I really enjoyed weight lifting as a hobby I went 3/4 times a week before covid lockdown... it's probably the reason I wasn't diagnosed sooner.. as I was burning everything off.

Does anyone else on here lift and still get gains on such low carbs ? As this was always hard for me when i went low carb prediabetes.

I do mostly real food but did enjoy taking the occasional protein shake and I ate a lof of wholegrain carbs also for energy and growth when bulking..

Im guessing my days of bulking are over aswell ? as i've got to maintain low body fat with type 2 ?

Thanks again for all the replies.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone else on here lift and still get gains on such low carbs ? As this was always hard for me when i went low carb prediabetes.

I do mostly real food but did enjoy taking the occasional protein shake and I ate a lof of wholegrain carbs also for energy and growth when bulking..

Im guessing my days of bulking are over aswell ? as i've got to maintain low body fat with type 2 ?

Paging @Mbaker who does a ton of weights and eats low carb.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just eating low carb and losing the weight off my middle - my waist is 12 inches smaller than at its largest, and I could move knitting machines around again, so I had gone back to work after being diagnosed in late 2016.
Everything is so much easier these days.
I was always quite strong I used to roadie and I could swing by my hands across a horizontal ladder - used to give some folks fits. Every time I was put onto a low fat high carb low calorie diet I would end up weaker and heavier, though it took a couple of decades to get really bad.
As far as I am concerned, carbs are not a good food for Humans, we should be lean, muscular and fast on our feet and carbs do not do the job of keeping us that way.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Paging @Mbaker who does a ton of weights and eats low carb.
@fendertele the science says you just need leucine present whilst hitting failure within the exercised muscle to build, there'll be enough insulin knocking about to get a reaction. I have found this to be true. Carbs are not required....unless you are going on stage and some find mentally they need them, and or can train harder, I think this is an adaption. The carbs help to improve the "swoll" look of filling out the muscle, so purely top end aesthetics, without the carbs you'll still look great but not competition optimised with the striations / definitions. Remember though this is top - top end, the rest of us 99.9999% do not need the protein shakes, carbs, pre and post workout etc. Some have found a potassium and salt drink before helps the workout.

@bulkbiker's reference of Shawn Baker is a great one, he just turned 54 and is in the top percentage of strong humans across the globe. Dr Ted Naiman is shredded on just bodyweight and time under tension techniques. There are so many using low carbs to drive performance, even ex competition level persons such as Ben Pakulski https://go.muscleintelligence.com/keto-program/ and the lads on Mark Bells Power Project, Mark Bell https://www.instagram.com/marksmellybell/ Nsima Inyang https://www.instagram.com/nsimainyang/

In my personal journey, I know my t-shirts are getting tighter in the right way, as well as strength increases, mentally I am training to blood glucose control. Soon I will shift to performance for a cyclical period only. I have pulled back a bit on rep maxing, to get more reps in. I am playing with 100 barbell squats spread throughout the day (20 x 5) @ 100 kg (max is 200 kg), along with X3 Bar and giant sets. My deadlift is either 220 0r 225 kg achieved on my birthday last October at 53 (was'nt sure of the barbell weight), and my bodyweight around 91kg (98kg at Type 2 diagnosis, so alot of fat to muscle now). This is me today 31.01.21 at my fattest, I will lean up more in the spring and summer with harder training and a bit more cardio

upload_2021-1-31_12-2-54.png

Here's some further referencing:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/bulking-with-type-2.174591/#post-2267742
"Edit around my deadlift details"

Last edited:

fendertele

Sorry for the delay in replies. Started new job and been all over the place with appointments etc. Will be going through this thread at some point this weekend to take notes :)