What is your latest cholesterol level?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
  1. 7.3 I think but that contains plenty of hdl and low triglycerides so I remain a stain dodger. This isn't a key indicator for me. No point knowing the total goals if you don't know which side won.

andbreath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine is 4.3, which is a reduction from 5.7 on diagnosis 18 months ago.
HbA1c 42, which has come down from 109 in the same time frame.
My diet is low carb, under 50g of carbs per day.

Reactions: oldgreymare

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
  1. 7.3 I think but that contains plenty of hdl and low triglycerides so I remain a stain dodger. This isn't a key indicator for me. No point knowing the total goals if you don't know which side won.
I think my last total chol was 6.0, but HDL well over over 1 and triglycerides low. I have yet to see any evidence that statins improve longevity and/or life quality for postmenopausal women who have not had a heart attack.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5. High HDL, good trigs. Low carbing at around 50-80g a day. Since diagnosis, although my cholesterol has remained fairly stable, the amount of HDL has risen, and LDL dropped.

I beleive, based on a lot of evidence, that cholesterol is a good thing.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
OK, with a breakdown if you have it. Not all tests give a break down eg the ones you can buy at the chemist shop.
Don't waste your time on the one no information metric of total chol - the breakdowns are the ONLY useful guide to your possible cardiovascular risk. At bare minimum, HDL-C, LDL-C. triglycerides, Apo-B, lipo-A (this last only needs to be done once, its a genetic marker). I know that you have mentioned you are shielding, but pragmatically, given how focused you are, I would figure out how to safely access your GP surgery for much more comprehensive blood panels. The very crude approaches you are trying just won't help you anywhere near as much as compared to using proper clinical tests. Realistically my GP surgery is about the most covid safe environment I could visit.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5. High HDL, good trigs. Low carbing at around 50-80g a day. Since diagnosis, although my cholesterol has remained fairly stable, the amount of HDL has risen, and LDL dropped.

I beleive, based on a lot of evidence, that cholesterol is a good thing.
Kind of essential to continue living so yep its a very good thing..

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, with a breakdown if you have it. Not all tests give a break down eg the ones you can buy at the chemist shop.
Unless you have a breakdown, you can’t compare. The ratio is also important.

Europa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, not sure this is the right thread for my question. I’m told i have to increase my statin (right now at 10mg per day) because my ldl is “high” for a diabetic at 2,39. My other results are as follows:
Total cholesterol. 4,79
Hdl. 1,76
Trig. 1,39
I had patted myself on the back for reasonably good fasting blood results, and am now doubting myself. If i take a higher dose of statins, i get leg cramps... i’m about to start keto at 50g carb/day to give a boost to my stagnating weight loss.

Europa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to put my question: do you think i can carry on my weight loss journey into keto without worrying about my cholesterol levels ?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it important to differentiate between cholesterol test results from a fasting test instead of a non fasting one? I assume the results would be different in each case?

Europa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The blood tests i had done were fasting ones.