Apple crumble

Bclampton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I use almond or coconut flour to make apple crumble when on a low carb diet instead of ordinary flour

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably. The apples would be a problem for me. Google keto apple crumble and see what comes up.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I have crumble topping made with almond flour, butter, flaked almonds, cinnamon and a dash of vanilla. I generally have it on top of stewed rhubarb with stem ginger and a bit of erythritol. Not exactly traditional apple crumble but yummy served with creme fraiche or Greek yoghurt.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And remember to have double cream with it, no sugary custard or ice cream.
I'd probably do low carb topping as you suggested but have only a very small amount of apple, perhaps no more than a quarter of one. You could test bg before and after to see effects

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi welcome

Sure you can, half the fun is in the experimenting

Will it be like the apple crumble we know and love? Nooooo lol but good fun trying to get it as close as possible.

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almond flour makes delicious crumble topping - it tastes a bit like those yummy Greek almond shortbreads, it's nice and crisp. I make apple and raspberry crumble and do a crumble topping with a little mixed spice, almond flour, walnuts, and a few oats as well. I serve it with cashew cream. Delicious!

aErlpPm.jpg

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sounds good. My wife also uses sugar substitutes to further reduce the carbs.

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Sounds good. My wife also uses sugar substitutes to further reduce the carbs.

I find xylitol is best in baking, which is what I use in my crumble, but there's no need for much, since the fruit is naturally sweet. I wouldn't keep xylitol in the house though if I had a dog.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
Can I use almond or coconut flour to make apple crumble when on a low carb diet instead of ordinary flour

Lots of good choices I see when I searched for breads/cakes on the site. I wanted to ask, because I see several people using substitute sweetners, and I use Stevia (by Purisure) in my coffee/chicory mix in the a.m. Just 2 total scoops, which are 1/32 scoop each, level.

I'd like to get feedback as even that makes this newbie (T2) a bit nervous ;)