Breakfast Idea Please!!

joelcam

Hi all,

Need some ideas for breakfast! Whatever I eat in the AM - I end up slightly high 2 hours later and then hypo about an hour after that. I have tried toast, weetabix, shredded wheat etc and it still happens...I have tried adding a bit of fruit etc too.

I don't like porridge. Was thinking of just having eggs every morning and no insulin but that would be boring.

Any ideas please??!

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
joelcam said:
Hi all,

Need some ideas for breakfast! Whatever I eat in the AM - I end up slightly high 2 hours later and then hypo about an hour after that. I have tried toast, weetabix, shredded wheat etc and it still happens...I have tried adding a bit of fruit etc too.

I don't like porridge. Was thinking of just having eggs every morning and no insulin but that would be boring.

Any ideas please??!

My BG usually takes longer that 2 hours to return to pre-meal levels. Yours sound as if they are doing this and then more. It sounds as if you may need to bring your morning insulin down, even though you are showing slightly higher BG levels 2 hours after food. If you're not happy doing that, maybe you could have something to eat about 3 hours after breakfast? I sometimes have a couple of biscuits or a piece of fruit during the morning.
You say you've tried toast, was it white or wholemeal? Wholemeal tends to be broken down more evenly over time, so the "high" would be lower and the "low" would be covered by the slower break-down of the bread.
Good luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
joelcam said:

Eggs are fine Joel but you'll more than likely find that you will still need insulin to cover your food. Protein in the absence of visible carbs converts to glucose by around 50-60%, so without any insulin you'll find your bg rising hours after eating.

I've tried having a no-carb breakfast of eggs and bacon and find I need as much insulin to cover this as I do eating my normal porridge, if you are using a fast acting insulin like Novorapid or Apidra then you might find that your insulin will work much faster than the food is digested......meaning hypo's are a strong possibility!

Hopefully some experienced type 1 low-carbers will be along soon to offer some advice on eating a low-carb breakfast.

KateH

Dislikes
Living in France, Missing Home, Fish, Spiders
have you tried eating more? It sounds as if you're having too much insulin, rather than eating the wrong thing. Or spread out eating your breakfast into two sittings. Cereal first, then toast an hour later. Peanut Butter is quite a slow acting carb (surprisingly) so try that on brown toast :) You want foods that are low on the glycemic index, so check the list out to see more options :)

Fallenstar

Joelcam hi :D
I used to have this problem with high carb foods, just like you, a spike ,then dropping hypo a couple of hours later...I called it the roller coaster on Carbs..and I got really fed up of it.
I low carb now, eat clean ,with plenty of fruit ,veg ,and meat and I'm not afraid of fat..the good fats that is..no processed trans fat. The difference in my control is unbelievable .

Like Noblehead I have to Bolus exactly the same amount on a pure protein breakfast as I would have with a pure carb one...But no spike and drop. Just a smooth profile.

I now have a big bowl of strawberries and blueberries with single cream, 2 units of Novo, a run and it keeps me steady at around 5 to 6 mmols all morning. If I don't run I still need the same 2 units or I hypo if I try to add another unit, weird. I've tried increasing my dose to counteract the expected rise for no training but I still need the same dose .
Anyway, if the low carb aproach is not for you, why not try introducing a good helping of fat with your breakfast,as fat really does slow down the absorption of the carbs and it may counteract the spike at two hours ,and you may not get the current drop you get now before the Bolus action leaves your system. It may just work for you.
You may need to experiment with types of fat and amounts, but maybe full fat yoghurt with your cereal , or cream with your porridge will slow down carb release to match your insulin.
Finding foods that work really is trial and error ,when you don't want ,or need even ,to adjust your doses.
I do undersatnd your problem though as I was just the same on low GI or carb foods. Maybe tweaking your insulin around may work but it didn't with me , so I have found a way of eating which works for me ,and makes me feel healthy and full up all the time without the swings in BG. I hardly hypo at all now, from maybe 3 a day to 1 slight one a week and much better meter readings most of the time, I'm amazed really :shock: :lol: ..So I'm well chuffed.
You could try a more protein based breakfast, ie Bacon ,egg, tomato ,mushrooms and see how level this keeps you.

You could also reduce your dose of Bolus,and maybe split it if you find you stay a bit high, take a 70%/30% of your reduced Bolus just with breakfast if you find with the reduced amount you go a bit high at the 3/4 hour mark. If this time of day is your problem only do it with breakfast.I do this with a the occasional high carb meal I may have..Its the only way I can do it. Again you will have to experiment with this ,but there are ways to try and combat it. I would alway choose the diet approach over insulin adjustments first...but that's just how I choose to help my control, we are all different.

Just a few ideas, hope you find a way, Good luck :D

DM1

One of my favorites for breakfast or any other meal:

1 tin tuna, packed in water (about 200 grams) (do not drain or discard the liquid)
2 tablespoons finely chopped tinned jalapeño peppers (more or less according to taste) OR 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers (from tin)
3 tablespoons full-fat mayonnaise, with 0 carbs
black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, curry powder (optional, to taste)

For this breakfast, I (71 kilograms weight) use about 3 u of aspart, assuming I am within the normal range before breakfast and before injecting the aspart. For me, blood sugar begins to rise gradually once the aspart begins to wear off (about 2 - 3 hours postprandial).

Here in México, it is a tasty way to wake up!