Fasting morning levels high

Sal82

Hi
I’ve had GD in my last pregnancy so they tested me at 12 weeks this time. My post 1 hour meals levels have been within range, however my morning fasting ones are high, can someone please recommend anything, I’ve been given a week otherwise will be put on medication. My last pregnancy I controlled with diet and no meds.
I have my evening meal around 7pm, it’s usually protein with very little carbs or none.I go for a 20 minute walk. Not sure what else to do? Any advise will be much appericiated. Thank you

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Take a look around the forum for "Dawn Phenomenon"
Morning highs are commonly due to this.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I’ve had GD in my last pregnancy so they tested me at 12 weeks this time. My post 1 hour meals levels have been within range, however my morning fasting ones are high, can someone please recommend anything, I’ve been given a week otherwise will be put on medication. My last pregnancy I controlled with diet and no meds.
I have my evening meal around 7pm, it’s usually protein with very little carbs or none.I go for a 20 minute walk. Not sure what else to do? Any advise will be much appericiated. Thank you

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

What sort of fasting BGs are you getting..?

Sal82

Yes I am testing 1 hour after every meal, the readings are within range.
The HbA1c hasn’t been tested yet, the diabietes midwife has asked me to self test for now

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Took me about 6 months post diagnosis to consistantly get FBG back in the non-diabetic zone <5.6.
You're going about this the correct way, your body just needs time to regain insulin sensitivity.
For now your postpriandials are the most important.

dje55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sam,

Have you tried having a supper or bedtime snack? Sometimes with GDM the fasting readings can be fixed by this simple option. It can help prevent your liver doing a dawn glucose dump.

Hope this helps,

D x

Sal82

Took me about 6 months post diagnosis to consistantly get FBG back in the non-diabetic zone <5.6.
You're going about this the correct way, your body just needs time to regain insulin sensitivity.
For now your postpriandials are the most important.

Thank you, hopefully it will get better.

Sal82

Hi Sam,

Have you tried having a supper or bedtime snack? Sometimes with GDM the fasting readings can be fixed by this simple option. It can help prevent your liver doing a dawn glucose dump.

Hope this helps,

D x

I read about having a small bedtime snack, thank you I will see if this helps :)