Question about FIASP

CristyN29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone first post on here!
Little background story : dx'd back in 2018 with FBG 17.1 and a1c 14%. Went on insulin for like a month or so full of hypos so my doc told me to stop using insulin. Next year without insulin and about 150 carbs/day and strenous phisical activity, my a1c were between 5.1-5.5%. Then covid came and my doc told me to stop testing that much. Fast forward a year later I went to my blood tests only to find out my FBG was back again into 15s. This time my doctor gave me FIASP(before it was novorapid/novolog) and tresiba as long acting (before Abasaglar).
Sugars stabilised again, with I:C ratio of 1:15-20 and basal at around 14. Today decided to do some testing with my mom who isnt diabetic nor pre-diabetic(FBG in the 80s, a1c 5.2 ish) . We ate some traditional corn food(30g carbs) +pudding without sugar of around 10 carbs and cream soup(~15 carbs) and tested before meal and 1hr mark. I bolused accordingly. Pre meal we both were at like 4.4-4.5. Interesting tho, post meal 1hr mark my mom was at 7.5 and I was at 6.3. Here comes my question, is FIASP even faster than human body insulin?
Side note: No matter what I eat if i bolus accordingly I never spike above 8.5 even with refined carbs (CGM-wise) and if I spike its for about 5 min like a non D curve

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A healthy pancreas will start producing insulin when the body detects the start of a rise in blood sugars, It produces much faster acting insulin than is manufactured and injected.
Different food raises our blood sugars at different rates so the time when a pancreas will start producing insulin will depending on what the food is.

In contrast, injected insulin works at a fixed rate from the time it is injected,

Therefore, you cannot compare the speed injected and naturally produced insulin by testing blood sugars in the wya you have. Your mother's pancreas would have started producing the insulin after you injected your Fiasp.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone first post on here!
Little background story : dx'd back in 2018 with FBG 17.1 and a1c 14%. Went on insulin for like a month or so full of hypos so my doc told me to stop using insulin. Next year without insulin and about 150 carbs/day and strenous phisical activity, my a1c were between 5.1-5.5%. Then covid came and my doc told me to stop testing that much. Fast forward a year later I went to my blood tests only to find out my FBG was back again into 15s. This time my doctor gave me FIASP(before it was novorapid/novolog) and tresiba as long acting (before Abasaglar).
Sugars stabilised again, with I:C ratio of 1:15-20 and basal at around 14. Today decided to do some testing with my mom who isnt diabetic nor pre-diabetic(FBG in the 80s, a1c 5.2 ish) . We ate some traditional corn food(30g carbs) +pudding without sugar of around 10 carbs and cream soup(~15 carbs) and tested before meal and 1hr mark. I bolused accordingly. Pre meal we both were at like 4.4-4.5. Interesting tho, post meal 1hr mark my mom was at 7.5 and I was at 6.3. Here comes my question, is FIASP even faster than human body insulin?
Side note: No matter what I eat if i bolus accordingly I never spike above 8.5 even with refined carbs (CGM-wise) and if I spike its for about 5 min like a non D curve

Hello back,

& welcome to the forum.

My wife & i have messed about doing a similar experiment & oddly similar results. But i use Novorapid.
Also my wife had demolished a bag of chocolate covered raisins.
That's not even accounting for my wife's different metabolism & a functioning pancreas..

I feel the only thing one can take away from this, Is you got the timing & the dosage correct for the meal eaten..

CristyN29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All right, I ll check it out. Thankfully Im kinda insulin sensitive or something, because 1 unit of fiasp seems to lower my BG by 2-3 mmol in 30mins-1hour after being injected and then flatting . Hopefully next months I'll get a pump with fiasp and it'll help me kinda manage my BG at least closer to a functioning pancreas(correction and so on).
The last question I have and I'll post here is, how do you cover high carb high fat meals with insulin? I went to a party, kinda drank like 3-4 servings of whiskey diet coke and ate a burrito(60 carbs). Injected 5 units, BG started at 4.4, dropped to 3.4 and I felt so bad I had to eat 2 sugar candies, one sugar free 10 carbs white chocolate and about 40 carbs of potato chips to feel better, 1 hr later i was almost at 11 and 2 hours back to 5.2, but that drop felt hard

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be the alcohol I think... Pre-covid, when I could go out for a meal and a few drinks, I always carried my insulin with me, but rarely took any fast acting, as it seemed that the alcohol and the being out and about seemed to cover the carbs.