Does this show I may not get remission

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
My numbers are fab at the mo. some days I’m having say 10g of carbs some less some days are 24 (if I have particular meal). It doesn’t do anything to my sugars.

but my thinking is that if I want to be in remission I have to get these numbers with no medication help.
I currently have 0.75 of trulicity a week. So if I am heading towards remission surely the meds should be putting my prick numbers too low?

Because that would mean I don’t need the meds anymore. The fact that I’m getting perfect numbers but while on meds does that suggest I’ll always need meds.

mt weight doesn’t move despite very low carbing and exercise. I’m too heavy but it’s not shifting.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Are you deliberately reducing your food intake?
May lead to metabolic slowdown hence the cessation of weight loss.
Not really. I’m deliberately reducing the carbs but otherwise not really.

the weight thing was just info really.
The main question is about the remission

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My numbers are fab at the mo. some days I’m having say 10g of carbs some less some days are 24 (if I have particular meal). It doesn’t do anything to my sugars.

but my thinking is that if I want to be in remission I have to get these numbers with no medication help.
I currently have 0.75 of trulicity a week. So if I am heading towards remission surely the meds should be putting my prick numbers too low?

Because that would mean I don’t need the meds anymore. The fact that I’m getting perfect numbers but while on meds does that suggest I’ll always need meds.

mt weight doesn’t move despite very low carbing and exercise. I’m too heavy but it’s not shifting.

This is just a thought. I think I am still on a honeymoon period so still producing some of my own insulin. When I inject insulin I think my body uses that first meaning my own insulin doesn't need to kick in to balance things out unless it detects a rising glucose level beyond what the injected insulin can cope with. If I have the same meal (without insulin but around the 20 carbs mark) my glucose levels react in the same way leaving levels that are identical (tested by f/pricks and the libre). Could it be that your OWN insulin is being somewhat supressed by the 'fake' meds that are busy bringing your levels down and that without the meds your OWN system will kick in?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
This is just a thought. I think I am still on a honeymoon period so still producing some of my own insulin. When I inject insulin I think my body uses that first meaning my own insulin doesn't need to kick in to balance things out unless it detects a rising glucose level beyond what the injected insulin can cope with. If I have the same meal (without insulin but around the 20 carbs mark) my glucose levels react in the same way leaving levels that are identical (tested by f/pricks and the libre). Could it be that your OWN insulin is being somewhat supressed by the 'fake' meds that are busy bringing your levels down and that without the meds your OWN system will kick in?
Isn’t it with type 2 that we have insulin it’s jut a bit naff? So I’m not sure my system can kick in because I’m assuming I have insulin.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Isn’t it with type 2 that we have insulin it’s jut a bit naff? So I’m not sure my system can kick in because I’m assuming I have insulin.

You're right but I was wondering whether the trulicity injection (is that a form of insulin or similar?) supresses your own insulin in any way? x

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You're right but I was wondering whether the trulicity injection (is that a form of insulin or similar?) supresses your own insulin in any way.
No it’s not insulin.
I’m not actually sure how it works to be honest.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Are you deliberately reducing your food intake?
May lead to metabolic slowdown hence the cessation of weight loss.
Sorry think it came across rude. Wasn’t supposed to be. Thanks

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No it’s not insulin.
I’m not actually sure how it works to be honest.

from Wikipedia
Mechanism of action[edit]
Dulaglutide binds to glucagon-like peptide 1 receptors, slowing gastric emptying and increases insulin secretion by pancreatic Beta cells. Simultaneously the compound reduces the elevated glucagon secretion by inhibiting alpha cells of the pancreas, as glucagon is known to be inappropriately elevated in diabetic patients. GLP-1 is normally secreted by L cells of the gastrointestinal mucosa in response to a meal.[18]

so it slows the process of the food reaching your blood, increases insulin and lowers glucagon

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe test that theory? Would you be willing and able to get a c peptide or insulin test.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really. I’m deliberately reducing the carbs but otherwise not really.

the weight thing was just info really.
The main question is about the remission
I guess the only way to test is to stop the Trulicity and monitor what happens.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
from Wikipedia
Mechanism of action[edit]
Dulaglutide binds to glucagon-like peptide 1 receptors, slowing gastric emptying and increases insulin secretion by pancreatic Beta cells. Simultaneously the compound reduces the elevated glucagon secretion by inhibiting alpha cells of the pancreas, as glucagon is known to be inappropriately elevated in diabetic patients. GLP-1 is normally secreted by L cells of the gastrointestinal mucosa in response to a meal.[18]

so it slows the process of the food reaching your blood, increases insulin and lowers glucagon
Thank you,

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I guess the only way to test is to stop the Trulicity and monitor what happens.

my last bloods showed that my sugars had actually increased by 4 to 58 so think it’s a bit early to think about coming off the meds, I’d like to get my sugars down to the 40s before I consider it.
And especially with everything else going on I think I’d rather wait until their is some normalcy etc.
I guess if there is some possibility that my body is being a bit lazy and letting the meds do it’s job quite hopeful for the future,

I’m doing very well carb wise at the mo so will leave it will aubergine end March till I push dr for blood tests to see what hba1c is doing, my last lot was November, but don’t want to do it yet, one because of COVID but 2) because I want them as low as I can.

Jo123

That must be frustrating, and reading what trulicity does I would be inclined to agree with you.
Are you counting all the carbs you eat including non carby veg? And are you eating lots of protein, excess isn't good for your levels?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
That must be frustrating, and reading what trulicity does I would be inclined to agree with you.
Are you counting all the carbs you eat including non carby veg? And are you eating lots of protein, excess isn't good for your levels?
I’m eating loads of protein but my sugars are fab. Below 8 and spend most of the day in the 6 and 7s
But for me if I don’t need the meds anymore they should be really a lot lower. The fact they are normal with meds suggests that without it probably wouldn’t be amazing.
No veg.
I’m very strict on the carbs at the mo