Intermittent metformin?

aLATHEA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone know if you can use metformin just occasionally? I am currently on a trial without meds but wondered if on occasions where i know my carb intake is going to be higher than normal, if I could take it beforehand to prevent a spike?

Jen

999sugarbabe

Hi aLATHEA,

I think the short answer is NO.
Having just read the (very) small print on the sheet of notes that comes with my Metformin it does say you shouldn't stop taking them without consultation, and also the procedure if you "miss a dose". That, to me, implies it is not a good idea to do as you are asking.

The other factor is that it takes a while for the effects of Metformin to get established, so just taking them as you suggest (occasionally) would interfere with this process.

Check the small print that should be in your box of tablets under "Taking your medicine".

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi aLathea/Jen.

What sugarbabe says is absolutely spot on.

A single dose of Metformin will have little or no effect. It takes typically around a couple of weeks to build up in your system before you will notice any sort of changes in Bg levels.
A far better way to reduce incidences of 'spikes' is to just reduce the amount of Carbohydrates you consume.

Ken.

aLATHEA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Guys,

Of course I was just looking for an easy way out....oh well, acceptance is the key!!!

Jen :roll:

Trinkwasser

Dunno how easy it is to get here but some people in the States get Prandin or Starlix which is a short acting sulph and can be taken ad lib just for a specific high carb meal.

Things I do that *might* work for you: a small dose of fast carbs about half an hour before the meal which gets my pancreas in the mood, and a brisk walk round the village immediately after eating, which helps stash the glucose while your own insulin production is at its highest.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi aLATHEA
Metformin can't be used intermitteently, but Starlix can although it's not meant to be. It works in the way you mention and is safe. Ask you doctor about it.

mikeUSA

Your average blood sugar over long periods of time is more damaging that having a rare spike in blood sugar. If you are frequently lapsing off your low carb diet or lapsing off your walking/exercise program, then your typical blood sugar will likely suffer, as measured by a Hemoglobin A1c blood test.

If your fasting blood sugar in the morning is slightly above 145 (American) or 8.05 (UK), then your doctor likely will prefer that you to stay on a low dose of metformin (eg, 500mg at bedtime). Interestingly, a recent study suggested that diabetic cancer patients taking metformin were twice as likely to be alive than other diabetic cancer patients, so perhaps there are additional benefits to metformin beyond just blood sugar test results. In addition, some of the reasons that persons with diabetes die early are related to your lipids (eg, cholesterol) and therefore your doctor likely will not stop your “statin” cholesterol medication unless your “cholesterol” test results are super excellent.

When I see people talking about “intermittent metformin” it is more related to taking metformin for a month or so during a lapse in diet and exercise rather than in only taking metformin for one day once in a blue moon. And if you are lapsing from your diet and exercise more than once in a blue moon…before long you likely will end up back on daily metformin and a daily statin.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found that a low carb higher fat diet lowered my cholesterol without the need for statins
CAROL

Reactions: mikeUSA

PiersAaron

Old thread but on point. Reaction to taking 500mg of Metformin after missing my once daily 500mg dose for about a week: hypoglycemia/light-headedness to the point where I almost fainted. Ate nothing this morning except for a couple cups of black decaf coffee. Before going to the gym I ingested one 500mg Metformin tablet. Then i went to the gym for swimming. I was a tiny bit light-headed at start of workout. I did not exercise hard and ended workout early after 40 minutes. At end of workout i was extremely lightheaded and almost fainted. I sat down and got some vending machine snacks such as popcorn and pretzels.Eating popcorn and pretzels seemed to stabilize my BS and help to eliminate the light headedness.

Looking for comments. My theory/best-guess is that Metformin kicked in about 30 to 40 minutes after ingesting it (when I was then at the gym). Thereby lowering my BS excessively (causing the light headedness).

PS Recently, I have been living away from home for 3 or 4 days at a time. As I am working on a large project (location of project is about 150 miles from home). And have forgotten to bring my Metformin with me.