Sugar Issue or other

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Using a BG meter, I feel, would really help you here. Although I can't find it right now, there is a You Tube video that provides a study about how people feel they have low BG and so it makes them think they need to eat. The study showed how this wasn't actually the case, it was a pretty high percentage that the BG was in a good range, not low at all. Maybe if you had tested you would have seen your BG was in a good range and that would most likely be comforting to know. I know for me I've tested a few times when I thought my sugar was low and the test showed it was in the mid 6s.

I agree about the glucometer and have advised this with using a food diary, because they will help with your GP.
I can tell what it is like having low blood sugar levels. I didn't know what it was til I was diagnosed. It's really horrible, I call them years my hypo hell.
When your blood sugar levels go up and down all day, hyper then hypo, every time you eat, even if you don't go hypo because the brain is permanently telling you to eat, because it believes the signal to create more insulin is necessary and the way to do that is to eat. More hormonal response, once you start eating breakfast that is it for the rest of the day, up and down.
That is not the only symptom, there are many others that exacerbate your feelings.
Quite a few that affects the brain, and more symptoms similar to type two diabetes.
There is always the risk of coma, if the brain doesn't correct the imbalances.
For some reason, my body has a reset, which is usually in deep sleep. Unless I have a bad night.
Since diagnosis and going Keto, these symptoms have gone. But every now and then I do want to eat the inside of a fridge!!

Reactions: hughinoo

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree about the glucometer and have advised this with using a food diary, because they will help with your GP.
I can tell what it is like having low blood sugar levels. I didn't know what it was til I was diagnosed. It's really horrible, I call them years my hypo hell.
When your blood sugar levels go up and down all day, hyper then hypo, every time you eat, even if you don't go hypo because the brain is permanently telling you to eat, because it believes the signal to create more insulin is necessary and the way to do that is to eat. More hormonal response, once you start eating breakfast that is it for the rest of the day, up and down.
That is not the only symptom, there are many others that exacerbate your feelings.
Quite a few that affects the brain, and more symptoms similar to type two diabetes.
There is always the risk of coma, if the brain doesn't correct the imbalances.
For some reason, my body has a reset, which is usually in deep sleep. Unless I have a bad night.
Since diagnosis and going Keto, these symptoms have gone. But every now and then I do want to eat the inside of a fridge!!
Thanks I will genuinely consider it.

Yeah low carb has made difference as I feel more alive though I am suffering with my anxiety especially at night so could be better if sleep better. Today's dip showed me it does seem to be food dependent-low carb is best but like I said I worry what be like when eating out when lockdown over or wanna have treat. Your suggestion about reactive is 1 I am still researching but I don't have weight issue which I've read most commonly linked to reactive hypo. Time will tell.

Thanks soo much. U may see me posting on reactive hypo.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi again, after I posted, I had a really bad night!
For some reason, I had gripe pains, reflux and dyspepsia, which made me cough.
Kept me awake, so I didn't get my beauty sleep. Feeling a bit rough, done a bit of walking this morning.
Anyway, you don't have to have a weight problem, to have the condition, there have been many on here that are not needing to lose weight. It helps to be your optimum weight for your health.

On eating out, my job before redundancy, I was traveling up and down the motorways quite a bit. And I didn't find it a problem, most places and restaurants, by law have to tell you what is in each dish. There are a lot of meals that are pre made or prepared elsewhere, these you have to be careful with, because of sauces, dressing or added sugar. Low fat foods are a problem. I used to stay in hotels and I never had a problem making sure, that the food I ordered was low carb and cooked fresh.
If you have breakfast, there is nowt wrong with bacon and eggs.

Hopefully see you in the RH forum.

Keep safe

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry I went silent but Up until yesterday(had foods body didn't agree with either), I had few days of normal with 1 dip in that time that I could explain(had high carb snack for convenience) .

From my research my good eating was reason for feeling/doing better so trying to get back on track.

I suppose what I really not clear on is if I follow low carb/keto will I eventually be able to have treats occasionally.

Also do people follow 2litre water daily intake suggestion? Also sipping better than gulping-myth or truth?

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose what I really not clear on is if I follow low carb/keto will I eventually be able to have treats occasionally.
Thats what I'm hoping for, but am coming, after nearly a year, to the conclusion treats will be very infrequent if in the form of cake etc, but I am now not wanting them anywhere near so much as in the early days.
Try not to look forward, just concentrate on each day now and do the best you can for yourself and your body today.

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats what I'm hoping for, but am coming, after nearly a year, to the conclusion treats will be very infrequent if in the form of cake etc, but I am now not wanting them anywhere near so much as in the early days.
Try not to look forward, just concentrate on each day now and do the best you can for yourself and your body today.
Aaw thanks. Good to know am not alone & this may just be blip in my journey . Like many am thinking about post lockdown activities like eating out. I will get back on track as I'm encouraged that some of the issues I've had may have been body adjusting & doing 'keto flu' . I'll plod on I'll do anything to avoid insulin need. as I said I'm convinced this is lockdown effects & distractions as I have had good results, monitored heavily in pregnancy, lead up to it pregnancy (ivf) & being vigilant after 1st diagnosis

Anyway ill stop babbling on thanks again.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry I went silent but Up until yesterday(had foods body didn't agree with either), I had few days of normal with 1 dip in that time that I could explain(had high carb snack for convenience) .

From my research my good eating was reason for feeling/doing better so trying to get back on track.

Also do people follow 2litre water daily intake suggestion? Also sipping better than gulping-myth or truth?
Hi, I was asking the same question a year or so ago. For me, the answer has been "it depends" . I have never been that bothered by sweet stuff, but chips, bread, beer....different story. So I tried and tested. Chips and bread in small quantities reliably spike me to 10+ ...beer doesn't. I still get a rise, but it's not huge (5.0 to 5.5 for example) from one beer. So, for me, I do have a beer now and then in the context of an otherwise <20g carb day but I don't have chips or bread at all. You are almost certainly going to have a different experience. On your other question, I don't do the 2 litres of water but probably well over that in terms of total fluid daily. No idea about sipping/gulping - it all ends up in the same place.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Low carb eating, is for most people, the best way to try and lose weight, it is also the best way to reduce high glucose levels, but more importantly your health.
Doing low carb will reduce symptoms, and you won't even notice most of them because feeling better with good energy levels, is such a great feeling.

I drink mostly through the morning, afternoon but stop after my last meal, because if you drink too late, you will be spending more than a penny overnight!

Stay safe and let us know how you are doing.

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb eating, is for most people, the best way to try and lose weight, it is also the best way to reduce high glucose levels, but more importantly your health.
Doing low carb will reduce symptoms, and you won't even notice most of them because feeling better with good energy levels, is such a great feeling.

I drink mostly through the morning, afternoon but stop after my last meal, because if you drink too late, you will be spending more than a penny overnight!

Stay safe and let us know how you are doing.
Thanks so much. Yours words of assurance are great help. Touch wood but things looking up I feel better, less fatigue or high spikes, less trips to bathroom at night & I am starting to feel sweet tooth less. Just now trying to find balance between eating enough & food choices without losing too much weight.

Thanks again stay safe. Fingers crossed I continue on the up

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks so much. Yours words of assurance are great help. Touch wood but things looking up I feel better, less fatigue or high spikes, less trips to bathroom at night & I am starting to feel sweet tooth less. Just now trying to find balance between eating enough & food choices without losing too much weight.

Thanks again stay safe. Fingers crossed I continue on the up

That's great, keep us informed on how you go, and ask the questions if you don't understand what is happening. When I was told that I can't eat sugary foods and drinks, my tastes changed and some sweet morsel would taste awful and non sweet food tasted better. I've got to the stage now if I accidentally put something really sweet in my mouth, I would be gagging and saying a lot of swear words, yuk!

Keep safe.