Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Beating-My-Betes

Please do continue to share! You had me at the first pic - there's nothing better than a delicious fresh sandwich. Lots of yummy things there! I really love the sound of no. 6.

The sandwich definitely needed more fillings, but it's all I had. Would love to be able to post more interesting stuff. Unfortunately, due to a horrible flat-share situation I try to avoid using the kitchen too much. I make everything in my bedroom. All cooked meals are done in the air-fryer, including the rice which I buy frozen. Still, having seen your photos, I might go the extra effort. I can squeeze more out of the air-fryer. And while I only originally took photos as a form of proof, you've definitely encouraged me to be more mindful abut my presentation (I'm sure I've heard sit said that we eat with our eyes and nose before it gets to our mouths. Something like that, anyway ;) )

Last edited:

Beating-My-Betes

There are other discussions where people openly discuss carbs and the impact on their BG, yet you come to a thread where vegetarians and vegans are sharing the foods they eat. If someone invites you to comment on their carb intake, that's totally different.

I don't mind being asked. Hoping to put up a blog, which should deal with any questions.

Last edited:

Beating-My-Betes

And back on topic... I didn't take a pic of my (boring) lunch yesterday, but here are some of my recent meals...

Breton crepe with Tofurky Smoked slice, tomato, spinach, spring onion, vegan cheese.
muXItLE.jpg

Miso soup with soba noodles, tofu, enoki mushrooms and greens.
GKFONig.jpg

I love my spiraliser! Tofu and veg with coriander dressing, toasted peanuts, and there are some noodles underneath.
kArTAJo.jpeg

Chargrilled tofu and veg, two kinds of pesto (basil and coriander), Greek salad with Bio Cheese feta, and potato salad made with low(ish) carb potatoes (a variety called Spud Lite with 25% less carbs).
w7TKxUo.jpg

These look GORGEous! Makin' me very hungry! If they were options at an all-you-can-eat buffet, I'd have them all :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I'm about to have the mega-brunch before a 7-8 mile walk. This will all be done in one big pan. Small leftover piece of tortilla, halloumi, tomatoes, mushrooms and buttery, garlicky spinach. And half an avocado with a dash of lime and chilli. Easy!

Reactions: OB87

Beating-My-Betes

About to head off to Decathon, to buy some shorts. This delicious Scooby-Snack will help the 6-mile walk:

Multi-seeded bread, smoked tofu, slice of Sheese Mature Cheddar style, a touch of Marmite (Added umami to make the vegan cheese actually taste like cheese ;) ), red pepper, cucumber, raw onion & perhaps 0.5 teaspoon of ketchup to add the tiniest whiff of sweetness.

Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 11.41.39.png

Last edited:
Reactions: VioletFoxtrot

Beating-My-Betes

What I thought was lining up to be a 12,000 step day, turned out to be be a 19,000 step day. Took the large detour to buy a large plate and then gave it it's first mission:

White rice, peas, sweetcorn, onions, tomato and red pepper. Smoked tofu and cubed Fry's chicken-style burger. Salad of lettuce, shredded cabbage and grated carrot. A sprinkle of chia seeds, a squirt of sweet-chilli sauce, a dash of teriyaki sauce and a splash of fiery chilli sauce.

Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 20.02.38.png

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Multi-seeded bread, smoked tofu, slice of Sheese Mature Cheddar style, a touch of Marmite (Added umami to make the vegan cheese actually taste like cheese ;) ), red pepper, cucumber, raw onion & perhaps 0.5 teaspoon of ketchup to add the tiniest whiff of sweetness.

Now that's my kind of sandwich - yum! I do that too, adding a little Promite or Vegemite to bring out the cheesiness.

White rice, peas, sweetcorn, onions, tomato and red pepper. Smoked tofu and cubed Fry's chicken-style burger. Salad of lettuce, shredded cabbage and grated carrot. A sprinkle of chia seeds, a squirt of sweet-chilli sauce, a dash of teriyaki sauce and a splash of fiery chilli sauce.

Wow look at that! It all looks so beautiful and delicious on your new plate! :)

This isn't a very pretty pic, but since you brought up vegan cheese and how to bring out more flavour... I recently made this take on a Welsh Rarebit. I actually found the recipe in a magazine from the 1950s and veganised it.

I started out by sauteing a small finely chopped onion in Nuttelex Buttery (margarine), with half a teaspoon of smoked paprika, and then put in a 200g block of grated cheddar Bio Cheese (or whatever brand you like), stirring on a low heat until melted. I added half a teaspoon Massel Chicken-style Stock Powder, a big glug of vegan Worcestershire, a heaped teaspoon of dijon mustard, and two heaped teaspoons of tapioca flour blended with half a cup of soy milk. The other flavours you add are up to you. I put in chopped capers, two peeled and seeded tomatoes, and a spring onion. Chives would be good, sundried tomatoes, maybe even olives. Miso or Vegemite would make it extra savoury and cheesy.

Then you spread it on toast and grill it. I've also had it with asparagus under the cheese, and also put some on top of stuffed zucchinis before baking them. It's so tasty and melty!

Htcwnpt.jpg

Tonight I'm making ramen from this book with low carb edamame noodles.

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm about to have the mega-brunch before a 7-8 mile walk. This will all be done in one big pan. Small leftover piece of tortilla, halloumi, tomatoes, mushrooms and buttery, garlicky spinach. And half an avocado with a dash of lime and chilli. Easy!

You had me at buttery spinach. :)

Reactions: Marie 2

Beating-My-Betes

Now that's my kind of sandwich - yum! I do that too, adding a little Promite or Vegemite to bring out the cheesiness.

Wow look at that! It all looks so beautiful and delicious on your new plate! :)

This isn't a very pretty pic, but since you brought up vegan cheese and how to bring out more flavour... I recently made this take on a Welsh Rarebit. I actually found the recipe in a magazine from the 1950s and veganised it.

I started out by sauteing a small finely chopped onion in Nuttelex Buttery (margarine), with half a teaspoon of smoked paprika, and then put in a 200g block of grated cheddar Bio Cheese (or whatever brand you like), stirring on a low heat until melted. I added half a teaspoon Massel Chicken-style Stock Powder, a big glug of vegan Worcestershire, a heaped teaspoon of dijon mustard, and two heaped teaspoons of tapioca flour blended with half a cup of soy milk. The other flavours you add are up to you. I put in chopped capers, two peeled and seeded tomatoes, and a spring onion. Chives would be good, sundried tomatoes, maybe even olives. Miso or Vegemite would make it extra savoury and cheesy.

Then you spread it on toast and grill it. I've also had it with asparagus under the cheese, and also put some on top of stuffed zucchinis before baking them. It's so tasty and melty!

Htcwnpt.jpg

Tonight I'm making ramen from this book with low carb edamame noodles.

Had the same sandwich today, but with added seitan, nooch and Dijon mustard :)

Those Welsh Rabbits (How I knew then when very young) look delicious. The amount of fat would be tough for me, currently, though I guess I could use it as a cheat-meal. Winner-medal, either way.

Beating-My-Betes

Eaten sandwiches most of the day. Been busy with other stuff, and just threw them together. Not bothered tracking, but will put together a rough estimate based on previous similar meals.

Actually about to finish off the bread as I've decided to quit it. Not only is the nutritional opportunity-cost of bread too great, but I find it so dehydrating. Was fun while it lasted (Who doesn't like sammidges?) It was going to be gone in the next phase, anyhow.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Morning: Black tea, black coffee.
Brunch: Another fry-up. Egg, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, big heap of spinach.
Dinner: Going to be baked halloumi with harissa and lime and a salad made with pink grapefruit, red chicory, avocado and leaves.
And I going to try not to pig out on nuts in the meantime but given that it is raining steadily and I feel disinclined to drag myself off the sofa......

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
lunch
bowl of veggie split pea soup
2 large summer rolls dipped in peanut sauce and a touch of sriracha sauce
small brownie
dinner
beyond meat burger and bun with caramelized onions, lettuce, tomato and ranch dressing
salad
a vegan caramel chocolate

Last edited:

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No lunch for me today because I'm going out to a Vietnamese restaurant for dinner with friends and family and plan to have their incredible salt and pepper tofu and a big plate of stir fried veg. They do amazing cold rolls too.

Here's a curry ramen with sesame tofu, roasted broccoli, and edamame noodles from a couple of days ago. Last night I had wholemeal spaghetti with roasted eggplant and tomato sauce. :)

UPPUYTM.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Loving the food styling! I make something similar to your curry ramen using black bean noodles. Looks very trendy and increased the protein content.

Beating-My-Betes

No lunch for me today because I'm going out to a Vietnamese restaurant for dinner with friends and family and plan to have their incredible salt and pepper tofu and a big plate of stir fried veg. They do amazing cold rolls too.

Here's a curry ramen with sesame tofu, roasted broccoli, and edamame noodles from a couple of days ago. Last night I had wholemeal spaghetti with roasted eggplant and tomato sauce. :)

UPPUYTM.jpg

Nom-Nom!!! :)

Beating-My-Betes

Had my last two coffees, this morning (Quitting for Feb, and hopefully for longer). Also, due to resolving to take at least the month off of eating bread, this is going to be a pretty bready day...again :)

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Loving the food styling! I make something similar to your curry ramen using black bean noodles. Looks very trendy and increased the protein content.
Thank you! Black bean noodles are delicious!

Had my last two coffees, this morning (Quitting for Feb, and hopefully for longer). Also, due to resolving to take at least the month off of eating bread, this is going to be a pretty bready day...again
All the best with your Unbreaduary! :)