Newly diagnosed and terrified.

DisneyGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negative people and negative outlooks.
Diabetes lol
I trusted my gut after I start having man problems / reoccurring what seemed to be balanitis.
Due to covid I did the superdrug online doctor home test and my results came back as 97.

I'm terrified and completely devastated

I've dealt with anxiety and depression for years due to my weight and health anxiety

I'm terrified of dentists, needles, hospitals

I dont know what to do.

I've got a follow up with the doctor Thursday via phone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
social media but trying
Hi and welcome to the thread. Not sure what to say to reassure you. Dealing with diabetes is not really difficult but you do need a lot of information to deal with it. Then you go into information overload. Try and take small steps and I am sure it will all become part of your normal life.

Reactions: LaoDan

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the superdrug online doctor home test and my results came back as 97.
Which test was this? If HbA1c then yep welcome to T2 diabetes.
However, many of us have used the diagnosis as the boot up the b*m we needed to get ourselves healthier than ever before.
Look upon it as finding our what was wrong with you and as an opportunity to do something about it before it gets any worse?

DisneyGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes lol
Thanks all. It was for type 2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. It was for type 2
There isn't really a test for Type 2... the HbA1c shows the average level of blood glucose for the past 2-3 months and is often used to diagnose "diabetes" . The type is then determined by other tests or by monitoring reactions to things like dietary changes and medication.
Do you happen to know the units of your "97" result?

DisneyGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes lol
All it says is
The result of your Diabetes (HbA1c) test is: 97 mmol/mol (normal range is 20-41 mmol/mol)
Results of 48 mmol/mol or more are usually considered high enough to diagnose diabetes.

Your results mean that you have diabetes

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
While it is very helpful to test regularly to get your blood sugar under control the home systems use a tiny pen lance which is less painful and doesn't leave any bruising. I used to have a serious needle phobia, that reduced with help but never went away yet I can use the pens.

Many of us here with T2 got our diabetes into remission by sticking to a low carb diet, at the least it should reduce the need for medication. There is lots of information, menus, etc. One advantage of going low carb is that you will probably lose weight without ever feeling hungry the way you do on low calorie diets, and there are reasonable healthy substitutes for most high carb foods.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Reducing the carbs in your diet should help a lot and possibly avoid the need for injections for a long time if ever. So, don't panic and adjust your foods to get those carbs down.