Medtronic 670G - Issues with set change

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started on the above pump about 2 months ago. I have significant arthritis in my hands and this is making set changes challenging. In particular I find filling the reservoir difficult.

If anyone is in a similar situation and has some suggestions I would be very pleased to hear from them.

I have spoken to the pump team locally but they have no suggestions. The pump has made a difference already so I would not want to go back to pens

Thanks in advance

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you get someone to fill them for you - you could always have one or two filled and ready?

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I would agree that you do need help from a friend.

I push the limits on how far I can go on my pump being empty. There are about 7 units of useable insulin after the pump says it’s empty. My pump went empty at lunchtime today. I didn’t change it until dinner time. I don’t see a reason to waste insulin if I don’t have too.

But, you do need to find a friend to help you change your reservoir. But you just need to be aware that there is more time if your pump says it’s empty.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning Fairylights and Jollymon Thanks for your suggestions. I will put this to the Pump Team locally.

One member of the pump team did comment previously that you should not fill reservoirs in advance of them being needed as the insulin can deteriorate. I did think that as long as they were stored in the fridge it would be okay. I am also going to make contact with the OT at the Rheumatology Clinic to see if she has any suggestions

Thanks again for your replies

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a different pump, but we were told you could fill cartridges in advance and store in the fridge in a cardboard box etc (so light couldn't get to it), and this works well for a couple of cartridges. Not tried it for any more than that.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you Hopeful34, Thanks very much for this. I did wonder about using these precautions.

Thanks again h884

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Medtronic do a infusion set called mio advance, it’s targeted at those who have difficulty changing sites etc.

I too heard insulin degrades in the reservoirs. I would agree on if you have a partner or a friend to help you fill your reservoirs, unless you ask your team to enquire a pump that uses insulin pen cartridges instead of reservoirs.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
A long while ago there used to be a pump that just used a cartridge from an insulin pen. So it didn’t need to be refilled. It inky had to be replaced. The pump hit the market, and then the company folded. And then the pump was done. I wish it was an option for you; they were quite easy to change over. I had a friend who had one and he showed me how easy it was to change.

I kind of think this would be a good idea for you. If this pump was still available.

I wish I could remember the name/manufacturer of it.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
A long while ago there used to be a pump that just used a cartridge from an insulin pen. So it didn’t need to be refilled. It inky had to be replaced. The pump hit the market, and then the company folded. And then the pump was done. I wish it was an option for you; they were quite easy to change over. I had a friend who had one and he showed me how easy it was to change.

I kind of think this would be a good idea for you. If this pump was still available.

I wish I could remember the name/manufacturer of it.

It was the Asante Snap pump.

I wanted one. And then it was gone as an opportunity.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Folks

Thanks very much for your replies, I use the mio advance infusion sets, they are easy to use. No issues there. It is filling the reservoirs and connecting the tubing that is an issue. I live on my own, I have various friends that could help. I already get their help opening bottles and jars and others things.

The pumps available locally are Medtronic, tandem slim and omnipod. The idea of a pump which uses pen cartridges really appeals. I will certainly ask about that. I have a VC on Monday with a member of the pump team and an OT from Rheumatology to see if they can come up with any suggestions. I really hope that jointly we can come up with a solution. I do not want to go back to pens.

Thanks again

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just wanted to provide an update. I was given the opportunity to try the Omnipod Dash and found it much easier for me. I changed onto the Omnipod Dash this afternoon, now just have to learn how to use it.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Reactions: sleepster