EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Does having type 1 diabetes affect fertility?

Not that anyone's ever mentioned to me, but too high sugar levels certainly effect the viability of any new pregnancy (birth defects etc). Men can get ED but I assume you're talking about female fertility.

If you're thinking about getting pregnant then best to talk to your clinic first - there are things they can do to maximise the chances of a successful pregnancy.

Reactions: dani96xx

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
I think that there are aspects that can, they usually class type 1's as high risk but there only seems to be low risk and high risk in the NHS, so this seems to be precautionary. I haven't given birth btw so I may be speaking out of turn, but currently trying.

I was wondering myself actually, if anyone has been, whether you have to have an in-hospital birth? Or if you're able to give birth at home? Thanks

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not that anyone's ever mentioned to me, but too high sugar levels certainly effect the viability of any new pregnancy (birth defects etc). Men can get ED but I assume you're talking about female fertility.

If you're thinking about getting pregnant then best to talk to your clinic first - there are things they can do to maximise the chances of a successful pregnancy.
Hello Ellie, thank you for your reply. I'm not currently planning on a pregnancy it was just something I'd never really thought about before and wasn't sure whether having type 1 does affect a woman's fertility

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think that there are aspects that can, they usually class type 1's as high risk but there only seems to be low risk and high risk in the NHS, so this seems to be precautionary. I haven't given birth btw so I may be speaking out of turn, but currently trying.

I was wondering myself actually, if anyone has been, whether you have to have an in-hospital birth? Or if you're able to give birth at home? Thanks
Thank you for your reply. Hoping baby dust comes your way! If you don't mind me asking how long have you been trying? As a diabetic is there anything you have to do differently in order to try and conceive?

Reactions: mooshk

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for your reply. Hoping baby dust comes your way! If you don't mind me asking how long have you been trying? As a diabetic is there anything you have to do differently in order to try and conceive?
Heya, many thanks :). Literally only a month so I'm completely new I'm afraid. I've started taking zinc and progesterone tablets to help but that's me personally not a general diabetic thing. I've been type 1 for 26 years if that helps at all. I think we may have slightly larger babies due to the insulin and having to treat lows but I'm not very knowledgeable sorry

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I hope you are not waiting too long and heave a healthy pregnancy I come from a family of big babies so being diabetic aswell I dread to think how big my potential future babies may be

Reactions: mooshk

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hope you are not waiting too long and heave a healthy pregnancy I come from a family of big babies so being diabetic aswell I dread to think how big my potential future babies may be
Cheers lovely. Aha oh no! I think they offer us c sections if that helps