Covid injection scams.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just received an email from the NHS, well that is what it said, and invited me to register for a vaccination.
I pressed the button to enquire further, this asked my name and address.
I continued, the next page asked for my card details.

The first two pages seemed genuine, but asking for bank details, was a bit much.

Be careful out there, these fraudsters are out to get you and your money!

Stay safe

Reactions: SaskiaKC

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
General information.

Before clicking on a link, hover over the link with your cursor and the address of the link should appear at the bottom left of the screen.

Check that the address is the same as the sender

Here is an example of a recent email I got from Tescomobile.

upload_2021-1-25_20-25-39.png

I get a few PayPal and Amazon phishing emails every week.

When they are not right, they are often not even close.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are a fair few scams going about.

I've had a couple claiming to be from "DVLA" saying my payment failed for the car tax?
Not only did it seem to come from a random private email account but they were months too late from the date I actually taxed my vehicle..

I've had a couple suggesting I wasn't in for my parcel delivery from Amazon too, & needed to arrange another date... (Something about an iPad??)
Lol, I didn't order anything.

A COVID jab scam don't surprise me..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love playing around with the incoming phone calls from scammers. Let's just say they decidedly don't.

They persisted for a month or so but I'm clearly on their "do not call" register..

I sampled & edited the audio from that Liam Neeson, Taken phone scene to play on pickup.
Nobody I know calls me on my landline anymore. It's just cold callers & something about my computer..

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
One idiot phoned pretending to be from Microsoft called and told me I had caught a virus in my Windows.

I told him I kept them shut and locked all day.

Last edited:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
There are a fair few scams going about.

I've had a couple claiming to be from "DVLA" saying my payment failed for the car tax?
Not only did it seem to come from a random private email account but they were months too late from the date I actually taxed my vehicle..

I've had a couple suggesting I wasn't in for my parcel delivery from Amazon too, & needed to arrange another date... (Something about an iPad??)
Lol, I didn't order anything.

A COVID jab scam don't surprise me..

I’ve had the DVLA scam email today about a £30 tax that didn’t go through yesterday. My car is tax free!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had the DVLA scam email today about a £30 tax that didn’t go through yesterday. My car is tax free!
I've had one claiming to be "Netflicks." We did not take payment account closed till payment. click here.. Not likely!

"Unauthorised activity" on iTunes email..? You can check your purchases in the app..

I open Netflicks up (the proper way.) & it signs me right in..
if your subscribed account was suspended due to "non payment?" You just wouldn't have access to it's service. ;)

Reactions: hankjam

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a text yesterday and today from Royal Mail to tell me what time a parcel from John Lewis was being delivered, if not going to be in click link below. Emm no!! Haven't ordered anything from John Lewis, not even been on their website. Needless to say said parcel didn't arrive. Have had a few like this supposedly from Royal Mail.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a recorded phone call from the British Security Services about "terrorist activity on my bank account", and would I please give them my bank details so they could be sure it was the right account?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a very cheery person rang today to tell me my Internet was going to be cut off in 2 hours. They were far too cheery to be believable. I didnt wait to hear what they wanted me to do about it!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
a very cheery person rang today to tell me my Internet was going to be cut off in 2 hours. They were far too cheery to be believable. I didnt wait to hear what they wanted me to do about it!

The fact that this type of scam is still going would suggest there is still milage in it.... but they are so badly done, I really wonder how they do work.....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The fact that this type of scam is still going would suggest there is still milage in it.... but they are so badly done, I really wonder how they do work.....

Most legit calls from people i know use my mobile these days..

All i know is due to sparseness of work for me & my wife working from home.. Our landline rings about 3 to 5 times from 10.30am. stops around lunch time then tries again for an hour or two thrice.. One time it was a guy from "Microsoft." i tend to "phonejack" those guys..

However, most times on a pick up, there seems to be an office chatter in the background then it hangs up..
This happens daily during the week? I don't even know why we bother with a landline..?

So, about a week or so ago. I picked the phone up after letting go 3 calls & said "thank you, take me of your list." this young guy on the other end with a Kent or London regional accent told me to "go forth." Then hung up.
That phone has not rung to date... I kid you not. :) Result.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am afraid that I like dodgy calls on my phone I see how long I can wind up the caller !!! The last one said my internet had a fault and needed to be fixed after a lot of " not understanding " They wanted to know if I had an internet line ,but have a clothes line ;)
Carol

Reactions: urbanracer

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hah I have a landline because it is required for normal broadband provision since I no longer have virgin fibre (roll on deployment of ‘fibre-to-the-home’), but I don’t have a phone plugged into it, it went to the tip years ago. It was amazing how often it rang in the first couple of weeks after being set up on a new number, which I don’t even know and had shared with no-one. Hence phone-in-bin.

Peace reigns...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am afraid that I like dodgy calls on my phone I see how long I can wind up the caller !!! The last one said my internet had a fault and needed to be fixed after a lot of " not understanding " They wanted to know if I had an internet line ,but have a clothes line ;)
Carol
Unfortunately the almost daily calls I get about Amazon Prime are a recording, which means that winding up or abuse is ineffective.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately the almost daily calls I get about Amazon Prime are a recording, which means that winding up or abuse is ineffective.

The recorded messages, have a somber subtle guilt levying condescending tone to them.. (Almost using the same phycology as "chain letters?)
When my elderly mum was still independent, I noticed a look of worry & confusion when she answered these calls. When I checked in on her..

I had to reassure that these were generic scams & nothing untoward will happen if they are just ingnored. This was prior to her being diagnosed with Alzthiemers.

I've come to the conclusion there must be "voice actors" or voice over artists willing to step over an ethical line.
Because the ones I've heard, sound professionally studio recorded & flawless in execution.