Type 1 Daughter newly diagnosed - any hope for a cure

AFC84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have been type 1 diabetic for 24 years. My daughter age 6 was diagnosed just 3 weeks ago which has absolutely devastated me. I am finding it very difficult to come to terms with this as I know what will be expected of her. I have been researching over the last few weeks and have been surprised by how far research has come with regards to finding a cure - but is this a headline or who out there is actually hopeful of a cure being found in the not too distant future?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be honest I wouldn't expect it anytime soon, I've been hearing about so-called cures every 5 years or so for the last 40 or so, not happened yet so not going to believe it til I actually see it.

Tech has got a lot better though and is making it a lot easier to live with though so that should definitely help your daughter, she will have more available than you did (and definitely more than me when I was young).

I think a large amount of the problem is that they still don't know what causes it and I suspect there is not one cause either therefore not one fix.
Not trying to put a downer on your hopes, but not convinced we'll see one soon I'm afraid

Reactions: davgre

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have been type 1 diabetic for 24 years. My daughter age 6 was diagnosed just 3 weeks ago which has absolutely devastated me. I am finding it very difficult to come to terms with this as I know what will be expected of her. I have been researching over the last few weeks and have been surprised by how far research has come with regards to finding a cure - but is this a headline or who out there is actually hopeful of a cure being found in the not too distant future?

Hi,

I have to agree with @Rokaab , 44 years for me. & there always seems to be a "cure" over the rainbow.. (Normally "in 10 years?" involving, "Tests on mice.")
Don't let your kid's diagnosis put you in too much a tailspin.

Best wishes to you both.

Reactions: Sad21+

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sadly I don't expect any sort of cure for many years. The cause is a mix of genetics and other triggers such as viruses, illness and so on. It may be that some of these can be overcome but the family DNA aspect will be difficult. You have my sympathy but at least you do know what it means and how to handle it but it can't be easy with children.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Unfortunately have to agree with the consensus here , 40 years for me, and have heard of potential “ cures” for most of the time I had diabetes , but technology has advanced a long way , there are people on this forum who have “ clocked “ up 50 & 60 years with basically no technology in the past , so the future for people with diabetes today is so much more optimistic,
There may not be a cure for diabetes , but longevity is far more achievable

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi @AFC84 sorry to read about your daughter's diagnosis ( It feels horrible when children are diagnosed also the family can be in shock) As you are type 1 yourself, you will know how to manage diabetes and live a full life, you had your daughter with type 1, as did I. :)
Help and advise her, guess each other's BG numbers for instance. As for a cure, I have heard the same things as other member's on here, a cure is in the pipeline, but unfortunately I still can't see it, even though I always hoped a cure would be ' around the corner'. Diabetes is a small part of who we are and I hope she will have a healthy and a happy life.
Is your daughter at home with you because of the lock down ?
Take care, it will get easier in time X

Reactions: EllieM
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
social media but trying
The big trick is to make sure you are still around when the cure comes. I suspect that the cure may be technology in some form of artificial pancreas. I have had the condition 57 years with very little technology. Only moved off glass syringes 3 years ago! When I was first diagnosed my parents were reassured that a cure was 10 years away and that I should survive till then.

So keep hoping and make sure you are around to benefit from it.

BarbaraHK

Hi!
My 6 year-old daughter was also diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and I am devastated. But I hope that cure is around the corner and perhaps a simple one at the same time. Perhaps I am just in a phase of denial, but I have just finished reading Valter Longo's book The Longevity Diet and I feel hopeful.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I keep an eye on research and I am confident a cure for Type 1 diabetes is not "around the corner".
Whilst there have been studies with some success on mice, there are a few things that I consider
- the number of people with Type 1 diabetes is small compared to type 2. Therefore, more funding goes into type 2 research.
- it is not known what causes Type 1 diabetes. Understanding what causes it allows it to be eradicated before catching it so there will be no need for a cure. Unlike something like covid, it is not contagious so curing one person does not save the next.
- the treatment for Type 1 diabetes has come on leaps and bounds. Type 1 diabetes is not the death sentence or even life inhibitor that it used to be. There are England rugby players and ex Prime Ministers with the condition.
- the big 3 - Novonordisk, Sanofi and Eli Lilly make a lot of money out of insulin.

Overall. I lead a good life with Type 1 diabetes.
A cure would be nice but I don't expect one in my life time.

AFC84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you all for the replies - if I am being honest, not as positive as i would have liked but I fully understand where people are coming from. This has hit me at a time when I am absolutely burnt out with my own diabetes and feel the weight of it constantly. If I am being very honest, I could manage better if I wasn’t awake all night worrying about hypos. Also think lockdown has not helped with regards to anxiety/ mood rtcy

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If I am being very honest, I could manage better if I wasn’t awake all night worrying about hypos. Also think lockdown has not helped with regards to anxiety/ mood rtcy

So sorry you are having a bad time. Cures notwithstanding, I think that technology will make life very much easier for younger T1s. In the long term, closed loop pump cgm systems may well be just ten years away (or less, I know some people experiment with them now) and I expect the NHS (and other countries with public health systems) to increase the eligibility for systems such as cgms which (when combined with alarms) can remove the fear of hypos.... (I am lucky enough to be able to afford to self fund a dexcom and it has had a similar affect on my life as my first glucometer did nearly 4o years ago.)

Lots of virtual hugs. From personal experience (I had a T1 mother) it is a big help for a T1 child to have a T1 parent.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
social media but trying
I was reading on another site a lady who has just changed her pump for one connected to a cgm system .I think she helped with the first pump trials. So that type of solution may be very close.