Type 2 I don't like food

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I understand completely how you are feeling, I’m exactly the same. I don’t like many foods only English food at that. I have a very bad diet I only really eat cakes, biscuits and chocolate. I don’t like cooking, the smells make me feel ill. I work in a hospital on a ward and when meal times come round that also makes me feel physically sick the state/smell of it. I cook for my grown up sons but not myself. Today I had lunch out which is the first hot meal I’ve had in a week!
I had a similar thing on occasions when cooking. I do enjoy it, but sometimes, by the time I've finished cooking say a roast, I feel like I've eaten at the end and my appetite just drops right off. I have to eat it later on if not the next day.

Sheepish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Needles!
Eating, especially going to restaurants.
Hi All

Does anybody else have this problem?

I really don't like food and eat purely to stay alive. I find no enjoyment in cooking food or even going to a restaurant choosing something to eat... in fact I find it very embarrassing.

I eat around 20 different foods, where the staple products are bread and potatoes - which probably explains why I'm diabetic type 2. The remainder is made up of meat, with a few veg and fruit thrown in. I don't particularly like the veg and would rather not eat it, but it's a needs must! I eat 3 meals a day, without snacking inbetween.

I've been to more dieticians than I care to mention and all they do is tell me what I should eat, I know what I should eat, but how many meals does the average person eat where they don't actually like the food in front of them?

I would love to try the low carb diet, to lower my levels, but how would that work, with so little food intake.

Would be good to hear your thoughts
Thanks
Hello, I've just come across this and it totally resonates with me. I used to enjoy cooking, giving dinner parties, going to retaurants, etc. but since my diagnosis in 2018 eating has become at best a chore and at worst an endurance test. After three years I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'm never going to enjoy eating again. I like fruit (but we're only allowed three small portions a day) and I like most vegetables but I don't get any enjoyment from them. I've got to the point where I'm frightened to put anything in my mouth as I don't know what it's doing to me. I started having therapy but had to stop at the first lockdown. Currently trying to get my weight UP to 7 stone! Like you, I only really enjoy carbs and I do allow myself two sandwiches a week and a boiled egg with toast once a week; not on the same day. I know what you mean about dieticians! The therapist said I needed to be kinder to myself and have a treat occasionally so sent me to a nutritionist to reassure me that that would be possible. However, after three months and several hundred pounds! she only told me what i knew already - carbs spike your blood glucose levels - and removed cereals, oatmeal and bread from my diet!
The only thing I have done that helps a bit is to make 'cakes' with ground almonds instead of flour and erythritol instead of sugar. There are lots of recipes online but, be warned: none of them are what they say they are. 'Shortbread' certainly isn't, keto 'bread' is nothing like bread, 'muffins' aren't. You just have to work round the disappointment.
I hope you've found something useful by now.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I've just come across this and it totally resonates with me. I used to enjoy cooking, giving dinner parties, going to retaurants, etc. but since my diagnosis in 2018 eating has become at best a chore and at worst an endurance test. After three years I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'm never going to enjoy eating again. I like fruit (but we're only allowed three small portions a day) and I like most vegetables but I don't get any enjoyment from them. I've got to the point where I'm frightened to put anything in my mouth as I don't know what it's doing to me. I started having therapy but had to stop at the first lockdown. Currently trying to get my weight UP to 7 stone! Like you, I only really enjoy carbs and I do allow myself two sandwiches a week and a boiled egg with toast once a week; not on the same day. I know what you mean about dieticians! The therapist said I needed to be kinder to myself and have a treat occasionally so sent me to a nutritionist to reassure me that that would be possible. However, after three months and several hundred pounds! she only told me what i knew already - carbs spike your blood glucose levels - and removed cereals, oatmeal and bread from my diet!
The only thing I have done that helps a bit is to make 'cakes' with ground almonds instead of flour and erythritol instead of sugar. There are lots of recipes online but, be warned: none of them are what they say they are. 'Shortbread' certainly isn't, keto 'bread' is nothing like bread, 'muffins' aren't. You just have to work round the disappointment.
I hope you've found something useful by now.
Hello sheepish.

Can you give us an idea of what you are eating day to day, and if you are on any diabetes meds please?

It's probably a good idea to start a new thread.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Many people here didn’t realise how rough they felt til after they get their bloods back to decent levels. Only then do they realise that their old normal was actually pretty rubbish. Do you know your current blood glucose levels?
Absolutely.
I was waking up in the 9s just after Xmas. 3 weeks of ultra low carving (some days just a few grams] and tonight I and a fake pizza. I went up to 9. To be fair 9 is t completely awful. I have been feeling absolutely rotten since I ate it. Unbelievable that 9 used to be acceptable.
I’m taking it as a good sign, even if it would be nicer not to feel rubbish,