Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Beating-My-Betes

iCloud storage full and so haven't been taking photos. Still pretty much the same kind of meals i.e tofu, rice, tvp, potatoes etc. Gonna be increasing the amount of tofu, as I scored a nice deal, and bought 2 kilos. Gonna have to freeze some, but it's looking like things will be getting a bit tofu-y, up in here :)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Slice of HiLo toast with crunchy peanut butter, black tea, black coffee followed by 8km walk.
L. Salad bowl from local deli, 3 crackers and a wedge of Brie.
D. Going to be a pizza slice from deli - pastry filled with feta, spinach, sundried tomatoes with herby, mushroom greens.

Reactions: OB87

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi, am feeling slightly stir-crazy so had a fridge-forage and tried this recipe.

Black bean noodle and tofu salad.

200g of cooked black bean noodles
1carrot chopped into small pieces
1 red pepper also chopped
Brunch of spring onions, sliced
1pkt teriyaki vegan tofu

Dressing

1.5 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Juice of half a lime
1tsp honey
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 cm piece of ginger, grated
2 tbsp soy sauce

All mixed together then added to salad! This dressing could easily be modified according to taste. I shall be having this for dinner with stir-fried greens. If you don't mind more carbs soba or egg noodles would do the trick. I have tried to upload a photo but get the error message image too large!

Last edited:
Reactions: VioletFoxtrot

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, am feeling slightly stir-crazy so had a fridge-forage and tried this recipe.

1pkt teriyaki vegan tofu

Dressing

1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Juice of half a line
1tsp honey
2 tbsp spy sauce

All mixed together then added to salad! This dressing could easily be modified according to taste. I shall be having this for dinner with stir-fried greens. If you don't mind more carbs soba soba or egg noodles would do the trick. I have tried to upload a photo but get the error message image too large!

Which black bean noodles do you use? I bought some black bean spagetti and discovered it was made from black soya beans rather than turtle beans. I don't have anything against soya beans but the spagetti wasn't very nice.

MartyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have just started trying overnight oats. Had my first one for breakfast

Rolled oats
Fromage Frais
Blueberries
Chia seed
Oat Milk (unsweetened)
Candarel.

The first spoon full was unexpectedly tasty.
Now searching for more ideas :)

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Which black bean noodles do you use? I bought some black bean spagetti and discovered it was made from black soya beans rather than turtle beans. I don't have anything against soya beans but the spagetti wasn't very nice.
I do use the black bean spaghetti that is sold by Aldi in the UK. It isn't amazing particularly if overcooked. However, if covered in some sauce or dressing it is a good source of protein. Also, as a form of soya it is good for those of us who have some degree of bone loss!

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)

1pkt teriyaki vegan tofu

Dressing

1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Juice of half a lime
1tsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce

All mixed together then added to salad! This dressing could easily be modified according to taste. I shall be having this for dinner with stir-fried greens. If you don't mind more carbs soba or egg noodles would do the trick. I have tried to upload a photo but get the error message image too large!

I like it: I think we’re all “slightly stir-crazy” at the moment

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I’ve not contributed for a while, so today has been:

B: Cheese omelette

L: Greek salad

D: “Meatball” black bean chilli with rice. It was a little weird - I adapted a BBC recipe for this - I don’t eat meat or rice, so I used frozen Quorn Swedish “meatballs” (they were quite bland, but I need to boost my protein intake) and I had no cauliflower so I grated some broccoli. Overall, it was tasty, and quick to make for a mid-week meal, but I’m sure any Mexican chef will be horrified at the thought of this dish!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/meatball-black-bean-chilli

I halved the quantity of tinned tomatoes (taste rather than carbs before anyone asks).

Ps. I’ve never eaten meat balls: Swedish, Italian or otherwise, so perhaps they’re always bland.

Reactions: VioletFoxtrot

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Low GI wholemeal toast with Promite and peanut butter
L: handful of macadamias and Coles choc-coconut icecream (11g carbs)
D: eggplant moussaka with low carb potato and lentils

I make a lower carb bechamel for moussaka and lasagne by grinding half a cup of raw cashews in a bullet blender and using that instead of flour, with soy milk, to make a really creamy sauce. Season it, add a dash of nutmeg, and it's a really nice bechamel alternative.

No new pics, but here's a breakfast I made. It's Orgran Vegan Easy Egg, which I make a half serve of (about 12g carbs) and add nutritional yeast. The sausage is Coles Herb and Sons Beef style (which I can highly recommend if you're in Aus).

GSZfUsv.jpg

Last edited:

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sunday:

Brunch: Fried eggs, baked beans, 2 LM mozzarella veg burgers and Roots cauliflower hash browns: yes, it was pretty substantial!

D: Traditional Sunday roast... Hazelnut loaf (homemade), swede “roasties” and sprouts/gravy

Beating-My-Betes

Finally worked out what was going on with my phone camera, so I thought I'd take a snap of today's lunch.
Leftover air-fried taters, stripped of their jackets and chopped. Seitan steak, which I topped with Dijon, granulated garlic, herbs and curry. Added a liberal squirt of Heinz ketchup to the potatoes after taking the shot. Very simple and very tasty :)

Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 13.19.56.png

Beating-My-Betes

A snap of dinner last nigh (Actually, pretty much every night) - Rice, tofu, mushrooms, peppers, onions, peas and sweetcorn.
And a delicious Scooby-snack sandwich for todays brekky - Seeded rosemary bread, seitan, chia seeds, Hellman's vegan mayo, cucumber, raw onion, red pepper, Sheese vegan cheese slice, nooch, chia seeds. Just delicious!!

Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 19.40.59.png

Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 19.36.17.png

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Friday:

B: Seedy porridge I.e. mainly chia, with flax, hot water, cocoa and topped with Greek yoghurt, raspberries, sunflower/pumpkin seeds. (I have this often.)

L: Tofu sausages (cauldron) sandwich on LivLife low carb bread

D: Black bean/beetroot burger on a brioche bun with vegetable chips (Roots). Recipe from Las Iguanas restaurant menu - fiddly, but I’d made enough to freeze and very tasty. (The bun was a luxury for me, even with extra insulin.)

IMG_0321.jpg

Beating-My-Betes

Friday:

B: Seedy porridge I.e. mainly chia, with flax, hot water, cocoa and topped with Greek yoghurt, raspberries, sunflower/pumpkin seeds. (I have this often.)

L: Tofu sausages (cauldron) sandwich on LivLife low carb bread

D: Black bean/beetroot burger on a brioche bun with vegetable chips (Roots). Recipe from Las Iguanas restaurant menu - fiddly, but I’d made enough to freeze and very tasty. (The bun was a luxury for me, even with extra insulin.)

View attachment 47606

That burger looks great, but i'm not sure I'd like it. Even though it can be easily veganised (The recipe even makes a point of it), i'm still not beetroot-adapted ;) I'm getting better with it since incorporating it into fresh juices, but I still cant get past the earth-iness of that taste. But there are definitely good things to be had from eating it. Will keep trying, I guess.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That burger looks great, but i'm not sure I'd like it. Even though it can be easily veganised (The recipe even makes a point of it), i'm still not beetroot-adapted ;) I'm getting better with it since incorporating it into fresh juices, but I still cant get past the earth-iness of that taste. But there are definitely good things to be had from eating it. Will keep trying, I guess.

That’s a shame. The other disadvantage of beetroot is grating meant my hands and chopping board looked like a (bloody) crime scene when I’d finished

Beating-My-Betes

That’s a shame. The other disadvantage of beetroot is grating meant my hands and chopping board looked like a (bloody) crime scene when I’d finished

I still get to 'enjoy' the crazy staining, from the juices. Determined to keep juicing the stuff as I believe it's just one of those things that is worth the stress. It's made more manageable covering the taste with heavy use of juiced ginger and grapefruit. It's the same approach I used with celery. Even the smell of it used to make me gag. Now I'm at the stage of being able to eat small bites of it. All that from just adding it to juices. so there is hope.

On the burger front, I guess I can easily find a substitute.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Flax seed and full fat yogurt

salad, mixed lettuce, cabbage, pepper, cucumber

courgette omelette

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2