Diagnosed today

armara

Hi all still trying to get my head around this atm, the diabetes nurse I see today was very dismissive kind of here’s your tabs, take one a day for week then add 1 tab until your at 2 morning and 2 at night take with food see you in 3 months, I asked about a monitor and she said I don’t need one (I have a close relative that has type 2) I’m guessing that’s new, I have lower limb Lymphoedema and I told her my concerns and was told it won’t interfere but reading online there is a chance of increased water build up in limbs which is what lymph is so if anyone can help my confused head out if appreciate it

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to really mess with her head then cut out almost all carbohydrate from your diet and come back with a far lower HbA1c in 3 months time and she'll have no idea what you have done.
Please get a meter and test regularly so you can see which foods cause your blood sugar to spike (they'll be carbohydrate type foods) and cut them out altogether.

Reactions: Lainie71

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any idea where I can get one from I’m uk based
A blood glucose meter? sure.. I use the Tee2+ from Spirit healthcare.. the strips are some of the cheapest around which makes the running costs reasonable.
https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/tee2
If you phone them to place a reasonable order for strips they often throw in the meter for free.
As you have been diagnosed officially with T2 you can tell them and you won't pay the VAT.
I'd recommend phoning them anyway as I've always found them extremely helpful (and no I have no commercial links to them whatsoever).
Another tip don't buy loads of lancets.. most of us use them multiple tines .. I still have the first box of about 300 I bought almost 5 1/2 years ago..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When it arrives we can help you with some tips on the best time to test etc etc..

armara

Called spirit Health this afternoon they are sending me out a starter set for free so thank you so much for all your advise, been told it will take a couple of days

Reactions: MrsA2

Magneto2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome! I'm new too (diagnosed a couple of weeks ago) and the advice here is brilliant :) Getting a meter will be really useful, and you'll quickly get used to testing throughout the day. I decided to avoid the medication I was prescribed for now and have instead changed my diet - essentially eating very few carbs. My blood sugar levels have come down very quickly, so it seems to be working so far for me.

Reactions: Lainie71 and MrsA2

liviu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
BR BENSTEIN DIABETES SOLUTION
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution : A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars

armara

ok took my bloods this morning before eating or a drink and its 18.7, last night i had a grill up (everything cooked under the grill)
2 sausages, 2 slices of bacon mushrooms and tin tomatoes cooked in the micro no butter and a pouched egg i dont think ive had anything naughty but still high ?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ok took my bloods this morning before eating or a drink and its 18.7, last night i had a grill up (everything cooked under the grill)
2 sausages, 2 slices of bacon mushrooms and tin tomatoes cooked in the micro no butter and a pouched egg i dont think ive had anything naughty but still high ?
You might find that tomatoes have more carbs than you expect. Sausages also often contain quite a bit of oatmeal or similar, which is high in carb. This is what people mean by hidden carbs. As a rule of thumb, the less processed/fewer ingredients the better. There are 100% meat sausages around, too. Don't worry about butter or fat - zero carbs, bags of taste. Otherwise fine. I saw results quickly on that sort of food - but not overnight by any means!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no need to grill your foods - it is your ability to cope with carbs, not fats or protein which is not working well.
I do tend to drop things into a big frying pan in the order of cooking time required, then put on a lid and cook them slowly, giving everything a turn over several times. when approaching doneness I scramble some eggs with butter, tip the rather wet mixture from the frying pan into a sieve over a bowl to drain it off, then drop it back into the uncovered pan to dry off.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I started to use the Black Farmer sausages (pork with seasoning), they fill me up and don't have an impact on my bg.