"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The gynaecologist confirmed 2 ovarian cysts, but isn't concerned about them. Says they may have been there for years, unnoticed or they may be recent and will go away by themselves. I did realise that the normal "treatment" for these was just to let them go or stay at will. No action needed. If they had been cancerous, it would have showed up in the blood test I had done the other day. They'll check again in another US scan in about 3 months, though. Just to make sure. So - that's not the issue with my fluid levels - just a coincidental find. I didn't see how it could have been associated with it.

Had 2 small slices of wholemeal toast before going out this morning. I still have the duck breast to use but really don't feel much like cooking at the moment. So I might have a very late lunch/early dinner a bit later on. Meantime more fluids - hot ones. It's very cold here at present and I am wearing my big knitted poncho again to get warmed up.

I dug out the pedometer I used to use when I was fit to walk and gave it to Em. She is going for walks with her mum these days and she can match her measurements to her mum's. We can maybe do some sort of exercise (maths/geography) with the results.
Glad your appointment went well for you. I didn't know they can detect cancer from blood tests?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No 2 son was telling me that Em, her brother, her Mum and her Dad (No 2 son) went for a walk yesterday evening with Em's newfie. He is now too big for anyone to hold except No 2 son and he (the dog) gets very excited especially in a strong wind (not well enough controlled in my opinion). They walked around 2 villages with Banksie (the newfie) having to be held back to a reasonable pace against a very strong and cold wind but eventually DIL suggested that my son just went on ahead with the dog and came back for them with the car - both she and Em were exhausted! Banksie was kept on the lead, but given his head, which resulted in my son running the last mile and a half to get home. Even he is feeling it today even if he was being towed (newfies are known for their ability to do that, but usually in the water).

Another appointment letter arrived today for a different US scan - that's next Monday morning. Not sure why they couldn't have done it all in one go. Might be a bit of a mix up with referrals going in at different times.
Yeah it would have been a lot handier for you if they could have done all the tests at the same time - these things are sent to try us. Hope all goes well for you on Monday x

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
I've been meaning to make seedy, parmesan crackers for months and finally got around to it. They were delicious. The kids loved them too! Yay!

IMG_20210202_092721.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad your appointment went well for you. I didn't know they can detect cancer from blood tests?

Apparently there is a specific blood test that can detect ovarian cancer. I didn't know that until very recently. Not that I expected cancer - but who does? I have a history of lumps and bumps which, more often than not turn out to be benign, but on the odd occasion have been more sinister. So it's just as well to check.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. I don't know if it's all types but certainly my sister's cancer markers were tracked in blood tests (colon and liver) and my brother's (myloma).

@Annb, glad tests are going well. They certainly getting a move on now.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil had his vaccination yesterday morning and seems to have slept quite a lot since, including late up this morning, so I was a bit concerned - he has so many intolerances and allergies and my sister -in-law was unwell for over a week after hers - but he appeared a short time ago and told me he only has a sore arm, so nothing to worry about. He was just tired. Haven't heard anything about my vaccination yet, but it can't be long.

Food recently has been a bit high on the carbs - the carbs seem to settle my stomach problems a bit, so no point in reducing them too far. A couple of times a week I have started my day with porridge - puts BG up, of course, but on balance, it's probably a good move. Also, on other days eating small amounts of potato plus lots of veg. Also occasionally some wholemeal bread (small loaf: small slices).

Yesterday's food was berries and double cream - should have been yoghurt, but that's running a bit low and I have lots of cream that should be used up; and then later in the day duck breast and roasted veggies. I roasted quite a lot of vegetables and will make roasted vegetable soup today.

We don't have any lying snow here ate present, but the mainland has, so our shops are short of supplies (lorries can't get to the ferry) so we may be living out of the freezer for a while. In the fridge I have some bacon (not streaky, unfortunately) and a packet of pork sausages. Might take some of the roasted veggies and make some kind of a stew/casserole with either bacon or sausages, or both. No milk available and, I am looking after Em this afternoon and she is very heavy on the milk, so might have to ration what is left. Neil will take me for my US scan on Monday and will try to get supplies while I am in the hospital so we'll see what is available then.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an added note: DIL phoned to say she had seen a notice on a local news website that anyone over 60 who wants to be vaccinated should phone a given number. So I phoned and asked about it because all over 70's were supposed to be vaccinated first. I had been patiently waiting but it turns out that they had forgotten about me. Because they had phoned our number once, to invite Neil, they thought that was it! So, I am going for the jab tomorrow (Sunday) at 11.16 precisely. I wonder how many other people have been forgotten in this way, and who (like me) don't log on to every website around - or any in some cases.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard you can tell the future by reading the coffee grounds left in your cup after drinking it. Apparently I'm not very good at divination, I have no idea what to make of this.

Any of you have a clue on what my future will bring?

147437171_10222836149926643_8199884026957271997_o.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've heard you can tell the future by reading the coffee grounds left in your cup after drinking it. Apparently I'm not very good at divination, I have no idea what to make of this.

Any of you have a clue on what my future will bring?

147437171_10222836149926643_8199884026957271997_o.jpg
Diabetes? Big clue in the blood test strip in your coffee grounds ?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my covid vaccination this morning. All sorts of warnings about reactions, but no reaction so far. It was the Pfizer one. My sister-in-law had the Oxford one and she is still feeling a bit off a week later. My brother had the same one at the same time but had absolutely no reaction to it. Neil had the Pfizer one on Friday and had a sore arm for a couple of days but it has gone today.

The actual event was well organised by fire brigade and nursing staff but the administration was not good - as per usual on the islands. Sad to say, I trained many of the admin staff working on the islands and they were fine when I had my hands on them. Life and working practices seem to have had an adverse effect. Sad.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just back from a CT scan with warning not to take any Metformin until a blood test checks my kidneys. Not sure when I'll arrange that - I have an ECG appointment on Thursday but it is at the hospital and the blood test will probably be at the GP's surgery. Must phone and see what we can do about that.

Had sausage, bacon and egg for breakfast before I went plus a pint of water (as per instructions) and just had a flour tortilla with some roasted vegetables for lunch. Probably no more carbs today but will have some veg soup later - to keep out the cold. Snow is thawing but it isn't warm.

Edited to add: Didn't stick to that soup idea. Felt too tired to make it so just made a sandwich using wholemeal (sliced) bread and some tinned salmon. Spent the rest of the evening regretting it! Really bloated and nauseous feeling. And I didn't enjoy it either - the bread was more like cardboard. I'll have to use the salmon tomorrow to finish it off. Maybe some kind of fritters with coconut flour for breakfast.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought I'd got my sense of taste back but looking at the above post and thinking of the salmon fritters, I'm not so sure. The fritters had loads of salmon which was quite salty, but there was absolutely no salmon taste. I only knew it was there because I could see chunks of it in the mixture. Also getting a slightly fishy taste from the porridge I made this morning.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just back from having an ECG at the hospital. Absolutely nothing wrong with my heart. That's good, but it still begs the question - what the devil is wrong with me then? Bacon sandwich for breakfast (wholemeal bread just isn't the same as really bad-for-me white bread in a bacon sandwich) followed by some yoghurt. Lunch will be nursery eggs. I still have some very thick roasted vegetable soup in the fridge, so I might thin it down with some chicken stock and have that for my dinner tonight. Yesterday, I had some watermelon - very thirst quenching but it put my BG up to 19.5! That was despite taking 60 units of Humilin S. Should have stuck to tea.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are there any more tests? You seem to have had more than I even knew existed :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just another blood test tomorrow - to see I can go back to taking Metformin again. Apparently the dye that they inject during the CT scan could damage the kidneys and Metformin would make it worse until the dye is completely out of the system. There is still an appointment with the medical consultant at the hospital to come, but I shouldn't think there will be any more tests requested. I didn't know there were all these tests either. We are reaching the stage where the doctors throw their hands up in the air and say "just go away and stop bothering us".:banghead:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BGs are very high at present - all, I think, due to the resumption of carbs in my diet. Without the carbs I run into serious stomach and bowel issues but with even fairly small amounts of carbs I run into BG and weight issues. I had porridge this morning - just a small bowl but BG went up from 11.5 to 16.9! Lunch, as a result, was a kind of cheezza - melted cheese in a pan and topped it with tomatoes and an egg baked on top. Couldn't find any other quick-cook topping that I wanted. It was OK, but a bit greasy. And not very filling. Now trying to think of something low carb for tonight - loads in the freezer but nothing defrosted. Soup, I suppose - BORING!