Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I brought a tin of Isowhey Diabetic Formula Vanilla to help when I'm having problems with eating due to another health problem. And was wondering what your thoughts are on this product the ingredients seem ok. I sort of follow low carb as best I can but decided to try a meal replacement only on the days I'm not able to eat properly. These are the ingredients thoughts?

Overview
Ingredients
Whey protein concentrate (whey protein, soy lecithin), whey protein isolate, inositol, glutamine, vanilla flavour, potassium citrate (potassium), calcium carbonate (calcium), magnesium oxide heavy (magnesium), xanthan gum, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), d-alpha tocopheryl succinate (vitamin E), stevia extract, ferrous fumarate (iron), zinc oxide (zinc), chromium picolinate (chromium), cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), nicotinamide (vitamin B3), potassium iodide (iodine), manganese sulfate monohydrate (manganese), vitamin A acetate (vitamin A), biotin, cupric sulfate pentahydrate (copper), selenomethionine (selenium), folic acid (vitamin B9), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), calcium d-pantothenate (vitamin B5), riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin B1).

IsoWhey Diabetic formula has been specifically designed to support sugar metabolism by providing a delicious high protein nutritional meal replacement with inositol, vitamin D, chromium, zinc and other important macronutrients suitable for diabetics. It is recommended that this product be used in conjunction with a healthy diet, lifestyle and exercise.
Key Features and Benefits:

Low in fat.

Low in sugar - naturally sweetened with steviol glycosides.

High-quality whey protein concentrate and isolate - to help satisfy the protein requirements of diabetics.

Glycomacropeptides - protein fractions that trigger the satiety hormone cholecystokinin (CCK).

Less that 1g of lactose per serve.

Micronutrient support - antioxidant vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin D.

Branched chain amino acids - including leucine, important for insulin release and protein synthesis.

Directions for Use
Adults: Mix 1 serve (1 heaped scoop = 32g) into low-fat milk. Consume 1-2 servings daily.
Ingredients
Whey protein concentrate (whey protein, soy lecithin), whey protein isolate, inositol, glutamine, vanilla flavour, potassium citrate (potassium), calcium carbonate (calcium), magnesium oxide heavy (magnesium), xanthan gum, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), d-alpha tocopheryl succinate (vitamin E), stevia extract, ferrous fumarate (iron), zinc oxide (zinc), chromium picolinate (chromium), cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), nicotinamide (vitamin B3), potassium iodide (iodine), manganese sulfate monohydrate (manganese), vitamin A acetate (vitamin A), biotin, cupric sulfate pentahydrate (copper), selenomethionine (selenium), folic acid (vitamin B9), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), calcium d-pantothenate (vitamin B5), riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin B1).
Contraindications & Cautions
Always read the label & use only as directed. If symptoms persist see your healthcare professional.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I brought a tin of Isowhey Diabetic Formula Vanilla to help when I'm having problems with eating due to another health problem. And was wondering what your thoughts are on this product the ingredients seem ok. I sort of follow low carb as best I can but decided to try a meal replacement only on the days I'm not able to eat properly. These are the ingredients thoughts?

Overview
Ingredients

IsoWhey Diabetic formula has been specifically designed to support sugar metabolism by providing a delicious high protein nutritional meal replacement with inositol, vitamin D, chromium, zinc and other important macronutrients suitable for diabetics. It is recommended that this product be used in conjunction with a healthy diet, lifestyle and exercise.

Low in fat.

High-quality whey protein concentrate and isolate - to help satisfy the protein requirements of diabetics.

Glycomacropeptides - protein fractions that trigger the satiety hormone cholecystokinin (CCK).

Branched chain amino acids - including leucine, important for insulin release and protein synthesis.

Directions for Use
Adults: Mix 1 serve (1 heaped scoop = 32g) into low-fat milk. Consume 1-2 servings daily.
Ingredients
Always read the label & use only as directed. If symptoms persist see your healthcare professional.
If you low carb then there’s no/little fat in this, just proteins and vitamins. What’s the nutritional info? I’d want to research whey proteins and inositol more before I used this as I don’t usually have anything like that.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being keto, my meal replacements are - nothing. I wouldn't touch anything like you posted. Anything that is low fat has me running for the hills.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks pretty nasty.. do you have weight to lose? maybe try fasting rather than have that stuff.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
As a meal replacement this should not produce sudden spikes in blood glucose levels. The two main ingredients are proteins which should break down slowly to release glucose to provide energy. The third ingredient, inositol, is a sugar alcohol. It would be useful to know what proportion of meal is actually made up of this substance.

Reactions: annabell1

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
If you low carb then there’s no/little fat in this, just proteins and vitamins. What’s the nutritional info? I’d want to research whey proteins and inositol more before I used this as I don’t usually have anything like that.
THis is and attached nutrional information it has

Protein 17.9g
Fat total 1.2g
Saturated 0.7g
Carbs Total 5g
Available sugars 3g
Dietary fibre 4.2g

I'll only be using this when feeling unwell/unable to eat due to my UC at times something easy to have but not always
20210205_094249.jpg
20210205_094236.jpg

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
As a meal replacement this should not produce sudden spikes in blood glucose levels. The two main ingredients are proteins which should break down slowly to release glucose to provide energy. The third ingredient, inositol, is a sugar alcohol. It would be useful to know what proportion of meal is actually made up of this substance.

Thats why I thought it maybe ok for days when I'm unable to eat THis is and attached nutrional information it has available sugars 3g? And is low GI = 18

Protein 17.9g
Fat total 1.2g
Saturated 0.7g
Carbs Total 5g
Available sugars 3g
Dietary fibre 4.2g

I'll only be using this when feeling unwell/unable to eat due to my Ulcerative Colitis at times something easy to have but not always.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Looks pretty nasty.. do you have weight to lose? maybe try fasting rather than have that stuff.
I do need to loose weight but this is only to have on the occasional days when I'm feeling unwell with my ulcerative colitis and not able to eat so something easy to have but not always. I have to be careful with fasting with a combination of UC and T2D I have to be mindful as I can end up getting very unwell and becoming malnourished but mainly have TMAD.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I suppose your context of ulcerative colitis is the key issue here, and I struggle to keep weight off, so it's a different issue, but I would definitely either skip a meal, drink genmaicha or black coffee, or have something like a can of sardines or a boiled egg. If that replacement is 5g carbs per 100 I guess it's not awful, but it would raise me more than a meal of sardines and cabbage salad, so I'd just eat the meal. Is there a food that is low-carb but gentle on your stomach? Poached eggs any good?

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is nearly 16g carbs per 100g, that’s quite a lot, something to consider. However it is unclear if this includes the indigestible sugar alcohols. But perhaps you could improve things by making it with something other than low-fat milk? If your diabetes doesn’t mind milk you could try full-fat, and if it does (mine hates milk!) you could try no-additive almond milk or similar, or greek yog or double cream cut down with water.

But personally, I’m with everyone else, I would try and find a light snack I could tolerate - perhaps plain greek yog, or tinned fish, cold meat... whatever works for your UC.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats why I thought it maybe ok for days when I'm unable to eat THis is and attached nutrional information it has available sugars 3g? And is low GI = 18

Protein 17.9g
Fat total 1.2g
Saturated 0.7g
Carbs Total 5g
Available sugars 3g
Dietary fibre 4.2g

I'll only be using this when feeling unwell/unable to eat due to my Ulcerative Colitis at times something easy to have but not always.
Be aware this is per serving. Do you have that size serving? At 3.8g fat% and 15.9 carb % it’s not ideal but then it’s not the worse thing ever. If it was the only thing I could stomach on rare occasions then I might because of the vitamins etc. But I’d also look at soups etc for real food options to limit how much I used, as 15%carbs is higher than I use unless in very small amounts.

What foods can you tolerate on these days? Which of your normal low carb options are problematic? Maybe we can give you some other ideas too

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

Overview
Ingredients

Low in fat.

Directions for Use
Ingredients
I have one or two whey / casein protein shakes a day. I prefer a whole food protein source, but I’ll grab a shake if I’m on the run. Sometimes I’ll throw in other things, like an avocado. Whey can elevate your BG levels a tad, casein burns slower.

these shakes prevent me from getting into ketosis, but my goal is preserving/building muscle.

there’s plenty of zero or low carb proteins out there. Anyway I’m all for higher protein intake

Reactions: annabell1

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Be aware this is per serving. Do you have that size serving? At 3.8g fat% and 15.9 carb % it’s not ideal but then it’s not the worse thing ever. If it was the only thing I could stomach on rare occasions then I might because of the vitamins etc. But I’d also look at soups etc for real food options to limit how much I used, as 15%carbs is higher than I use unless in very small amounts.

What foods can you tolerate on these days? Which of your normal low carb options are problematic? Maybe we can give you some other ideas too

Hi @HSSS Hopefully explaining this well as it does depend on my UC flare and how long it is as sometimes nothing appeals to me and also the smell of food can make my feel sick and my stomach turn. so sometimes I can tolerate the low carb when unwell and eat boiled eggs or FFG yoghurt bought or Homemade or grilled chicken or home made chicken broth or sometimes a steak other times I can't handle the smell or tolerate them when I do try to eat them. and or have the energy to make anything also know not low carb sometimes only tolerate and have the energy to make sough dough toast and strangely crave ice cream and salt or boiled potato. when I am not flaring I try and stick to low carb WOE maybe not as low carb when I first started as times still eat sourdough bread and fruit which is not ideal but trying to get back to it probably again. but opened to any suggestion on what people do eat following low carb when they have a stomach flu/bug. :):)

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
I have one or two whey / casein protein shakes a day. I prefer a whole food protein source, but I’ll grab a shake if I’m on the run. Sometimes I’ll throw in other things, like an avocado. Whey can elevate your BG levels a tad, casein burns slower.

these shakes prevent me from getting into ketosis, but my goal is preserving/building muscle.

there’s plenty of zero or low carb proteins out there. Anyway I’m all for higher protein intake
ok yeah I find sometimes to much Fat is not tollerable at times for me so I try stick to more protein foods that have the natural fat in them without adding extra fat via diary etc. the Avocado idea sounds like a good idea never though of doing that so thanks for the idea. so do you mainly eat more protein base diet?

Reactions: LaoDan

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek

Yes I have tried it twice since buying it. and that is what I was thinking if it is only on those rare occasions when that is all my body is able to tolerates so appreciate you comment. I know low carb is better for diabetes and normally make my own chicken broth which reminds me need to make a batch as run out of it in my freezer and cook my own foods but get anxious when I do eat something not low carb which is not ideal as since having UC has brought on eating disorder my first UC flare I basically stopped eating and ended up in hospital with a very sever case of pan UC was severely anaemic and malnourished and my organs where slowly shutting down I lost over 20 kilos in two weeks and it triggered an eating disorder as although I was very sick was strangely delighted that I lost weight crazy hey.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
I suppose your context of ulcerative colitis is the key issue here, and I struggle to keep weight off, so it's a different issue, but I would definitely either skip a meal, drink genmaicha or black coffee, or have something like a can of sardines or a boiled egg. If that replacement is 5g carbs per 100 I guess it's not awful, but it would raise me more than a meal of sardines and cabbage salad, so I'd just eat the meal. Is there a food that is low-carb but gentle on your stomach? Poached eggs any good?
Yes when my UC is flaring that what rules what my body tolerates so thank you for understanding. I do eat some of those foods you suggested when I am able to when flaring but not sardines I love sardines but not when my UC is playing up strangely enough LOL sardines with mint is my favourite mmmm. And also do on occasion I do miss a meal but I have to careful with fasting with a combination of UC and T2D I have to be mindful as can end up getting very unwell and becoming malnourished but I do mainly have TMAD

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Many report good results with UC on a zero carb carnivore diet.. not sure if you are aware..?

https://meatrx.com/?s=ulcerative+colitis

I have looked into carnivore diet and trying to research how to do this whilst on Diabetic medications and or cutting down the diabetic medications without getting hypo? any incite on best way to do that? or point me to the right location? I am in Australia and its hard to found a medical practitioner on the best why to do this or support someone who wants to either do low car or carnivore woe of eating.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in Australia and its hard to found a medical practitioner on the best why to do this or support someone who wants to either do low car or carnivore woe of eating.

Have a look at the dietdoctor register of medical practitioners using low carb approaches: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/doctors/

Not sure where in Australia you are, but Dr Paul Mason’s work would be a good starting point.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have looked into carnivore diet and trying to research how to do this whilst on Diabetic medications and or cutting down the diabetic medications without getting hypo? any incite on best way to do that? or point me to the right location? I am in Australia and its hard to found a medical practitioner on the best why to do this or support someone who wants to either do low car or carnivore woe of eating.
Check out Dr Paul Mason. Aussie doc who is pretty much carnivore.
What medication for diabetes are you currently on?
If you are at risk of hypos then obviously you need to be careful.