EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Can food allergies cause insulin resistance? If so, this is new for me as I thought only sugar/carbs caused IR.
Since I have been testing, I only have been eating apples with almond or peanut butter, or cottage cheese, so I haven't tested the reaction by themselves.
Potatoes and corn are definitely out. The last time I ate beans, my glucose went to somewhere in the 150s range. So these may have to go out as well (Which really saddens me! Beans were my mainstay!)
Actually, I can put a little raw honey in my tea, but I drink that with cream, and no longer on an empty stomach, so that might help.

I don't think food allergies cause insulin resistance, but weight gain can...

When are you doing your testing? Most of the fold here seem to reckon that you want your levels to rise by less than 36 two hours after eating a meal (using US units, which are UK times 18).

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bingo. Except I have had a number of health issues that haven't been able to breceive diagnosis, since I am awesomely "normal, according to my blood!
But I can't help wondering if I knew these symptoms would lead to IR and diabetes, had I gone low carb, would I have avoided the ensuing issues. I know these are what ifs, but none the less, my mind still goes there, because I was looking for answers then, and couldn't find any.

Hi again, I was misdiagnosed with T2 in 2009, prediabetes at the turn of the century.
You are getting high glucose readings because something is causing the symptoms.
Until you get the tests done you and I are only guessing.
It wasn't until I was diagnosed, that a lot of things made sense.
My fasting Hba1c levels are normal, my fasting levels are normal, my insulin levels are normal (now!) My symptoms, and there is a lot, disappear when I'm in ketosis.
I found out by experience and experimenting, that I was intolerant to carbs.
The fact that carbs cause inflammation, and inflammation is one of steps in getting to T2.
You have a lot going on and you need the knowledge about what is happening, and tests is the next step.
There are many other conditions that have the same symptoms and not be diabetic, it could be metabolic syndrome or some such condition. And of course if it is T2, which type of T2, do you have? There are a few!

But it wouldn't hurt to start lowering your carbs.
Having a glucometer is useful, having a food diary is something that can give you a lot of information.

Keep safe

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bingo. Except I have had a number of health issues that haven't been able to breceive diagnosis, since I am awesomely "normal, according to my blood!
But I can't help wondering if I knew these symptoms would lead to IR and diabetes, had I gone low carb, would I have avoided the ensuing issues. I know these are what ifs, but none the less, my mind still goes there, because I was looking for answers then, and couldn't find any.
Some of mine took some time to identify for whatever reason. Blood helps but doesn’t identify everything.
I think perhaps you have things a bit back to front. It’s likely that your symptoms are caused by IR not the other way around.

Many of us go through the “if only I’d known earlier” phase. It’s like grief. We go through stages after diagnosis. This is definitely a common one. I still have it from time to time. Mostly now I find it more used to focus on now and where next than the past I cannot change. Not something that’s come easily I might add

Ivygreen

When are you doing your testing? Most of the fold here seem to reckon that you want your levels to rise by less than 36 two hours after eating a meal (using US units, which are UK times 18).
I test when I wake in the morning, again 1 hr after eating, and then again 2 hrs after eating. I notice that sometime I peak more around the 1 hr mark, and am already going back down by 2 hrs.

Reactions: EllieM

Ivygreen

I also test at bedtime. Often, my blood glucose is between 110 and 115 mg./dL prior to eating, and I try to keep it from rising above the 130s anytime after eating.
A couple time last week I was able to actually see fasting glucose under 100, which is a first! But I am up to rebounding about 25 minutes each day, and I know that is helping. Anytime I see my glucose go up higher than I want, I jump on the rebounder for about 10 mins, and that brings it back down. Prior to getting off carbs, I would jump, but it only increased inflammation, and made me feel drained. Huge difference now: I actually feel refreshed!

Reactions: EllieM

Ivygreen

Hi again, I was misdiagnosed with T2 in 2009, prediabetes at the turn of the century.
You are getting high glucose readings because something is causing the symptoms.
Until you get the tests done you and I are only guessing.
It wasn't until I was diagnosed, that a lot of things made sense.
My fasting Hba1c levels are normal, my fasting levels are normal, my insulin levels are normal (now!) My symptoms, and there is a lot, disappear when I'm in ketosis.
I found out by experience and experimenting, that I was intolerant to carbs.
The fact that carbs cause inflammation, and inflammation is one of steps in getting to T2.
You have a lot going on and you need the knowledge about what is happening, and tests is the next step.
There are many other conditions that have the same symptoms and not be diabetic, it could be metabolic syndrome or some such condition. And of course if it is T2, which type of T2, do you have? There are a few!

But it wouldn't hurt to start lowering your carbs.
Having a glucometer is useful, having a food diary is something that can give you a lot of information.

Keep safe
Lamont, did you ever struggle with severe water retention? Mine would move from the waist to the thighs and back during different times of the month. Felt like someone had driven a board deep into my abdomen.
When do you test your for your reactive hypo? I've gotten up at 2 and 3 AM to check for any low figures, but so far only high, yet my meal times have been all over the map, so those may not have been the best times for me to get up and check. Last spring I had mornings where I would wake up sweaty and all gittery, and that's what motivated me to get a monitor. But then I got pneumonia, and checking glucose got stuck on the back burner for another month.
I have an appointment Thursday morning for the blood draw.

Ivygreen

Some of mine took some time to identify for whatever reason. Blood helps but doesn’t identify everything.
I think perhaps you have things a bit back to front. It’s likely that your symptoms are caused by IR not the other way around.

Many of us go through the “if only I’d known earlier” phase. It’s like grief. We go through stages after diagnosis. This is definitely a common one. I still have it from time to time. Mostly now I find it more used to focus on now and where next than the past I cannot change. Not something that’s come easily I might add
Thank you,
Yes grief is a good word to describe it. Definitely have that going on. Yet strangely, I have a profound sense of relief, like, now, I actually have a direction: something I CAN work on. And this gives me hope that maybe the progression can start reversing now, and maybe, I can start feeling like I am actually alive again.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you,
Yes grief is a good word to describe it. Definitely have that going on. Yet strangely, I have a profound sense of relief, like, now, I actually have a direction: something I CAN work on. And this gives me hope that maybe the progression can start reversing now, and maybe, I can start feeling like I am actually alive again.
Not strange at all. You have regained a sense of control where previously you felt none. Grab that positive feeling and enjoy it and use it. I predict in a few months time you’ll be reporting even more huge benefits when you’ve learned how much control you really do have using just old fashioned food as your healing

Reactions: Ivygreen

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lamont, did you ever struggle with severe water retention? Mine would move from the waist to the thighs and back during different times of the month. Felt like someone had driven a board deep into my abdomen.
When do you test your for your reactive hypo? I've gotten up at 2 and 3 AM to check for any low figures, but so far only high, yet my meal times have been all over the map, so those may not have been the best times for me to get up and check. Last spring I had mornings where I would wake up sweaty and all gittery, and that's what motivated me to get a monitor. But then I got pneumonia, and checking glucose got stuck on the back burner for another month.
I have an appointment Thursday morning for the blood draw.

No, I didn't, as I said previously, we are different, I don't believe that you have Hypoglycaemia. Just to keep an open mind about what it could be.
You have been through a lot, but now you have an incentive to get to the bottom of your symptoms.

Hope it goes well for you.

Keep safe

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Ivygreen, I have just caught up reading this tread and have not seen anybody mention that to much carbs causes water retention. Indeed this is the main reason why people get 'keto flu' and why weight drops off so fast when people initially go very low carb or Keto.

As soon as the body is getting fewer carbs the kidneys allow more water to be excreted on the urine, this takes with is slats of sodium and potassium (also magnesium). This lack of salts cause the most common 'keto flu' symptoms and they can be fixed by just eating more sodium, potassium and magnesium in the diet or taking electrolyte tables,

In my case a 'healthy heart' way of eating (Low Fat, High in whole grains and lots of fruit) caused me to slowly put on weight (about 28lbs over about 13yrs) having always been normal weight or even slightly underweight before.

As you say it would be incredible if metabolic diseases such as T2D suddenly switched on. The truth is that the body copes as best it can with an inappropriate diet for years before it starts to fall apart!.

Ivygreen

Hi Ivygreen, I have just caught up reading this tread and have not seen anybody mention that to much carbs causes water retention. Indeed this is the main reason why people get 'keto flu' and why weight drops off so fast when people initially go very low carb or Keto.

As soon as the body is getting fewer carbs the kidneys allow more water to be excreted on the urine, this takes with is slats of sodium and potassium (also magnesium). This lack of salts cause the most common 'keto flu' symptoms and they can be fixed by just eating more sodium, potassium and magnesium in the diet or taking electrolyte tables,

In my case a 'healthy heart' way of eating (Low Fat, High in whole grains and lots of fruit) caused me to slowly put on weight (about 28lbs over about 13yrs) having always been normal weight or even slightly underweight before.

As you say it would be incredible if metabolic diseases such as T2D suddenly switched on. The truth is that the body copes as best it can with an inappropriate diet for years before it starts to fall apart!.
Thanks so much for reaching out.
I suppose then, the pancreas will plug along doggedly until it can't go on any more and then collapse and... boom!
We're sick.

glitter queen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also test at bedtime. Often, my blood glucose is between 110 and 115 mg./dL prior to eating, and I try to keep it from rising above the 130s anytime after eating.
A couple time last week I was able to actually see fasting glucose under 100, which is a first! But I am up to rebounding about 25 minutes each day, and I know that is helping. Anytime I see my glucose go up higher than I want, I jump on the rebounder for about 10 mins, and that brings it back down. Prior to getting off carbs, I would jump, but it only increased inflammation, and made me feel drained. Huge difference now: I actually feel refreshed!

Excited to find someone else who is using a rebounder. Im hoping it will help me reduce my insulin resistance. How long hve u been rebounding now. Any further benefits?

Do u follow a set workout or just bounce? Have you looked at Dave Hall's 10 minute workout? This is what im doing currently

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just seen this thread. I can identify. I had diabetic symptoms from at least 2010 - it started with oedema and water retention - I thought at first my feet had started growing. I was exercising regularly and eating a "good" "healthy" diet....lots of fruit and carbs ha ha. I checked with Google and T2 diabetes was indicated. But my BG was high normal. So I was told I wasn't diabetic. This happened increasingly over the years. Everything I experienced (inflammation, kidney pain, burning feet, etc) was a diabetic symptom, but my BG was still normal, and the docs stressed I wasn't diabetic. Then I had an injury, couldn't exercise like I used to, and retired in 2017. Suddenly I was pre-diabetic, banging weight on, and then by 2019 diagnosed as T2. LCHF put me back in normal range in four months and the symptoms have either gone completely (eg the oedema) or are 90% reduced (neuropathy). Moral of the story seems to be that docs now diagnose solely from the A1c test, instead of looking at the symptoms presented. I would have preferred to avoid the nine years of increasingly poor health....