What should i do type 1 had and very sore throat

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Its been a while since i've been on the forum but i have had a sore throat since monday its really dry and if i talk my voice gets effected its also giving me a dry cough which is causing my throat to hurt more, i have'nt got a cold but i do get very tired. My sugar levels are high which is unusual for me as i suffer with alot of lows at the moment im struggling to get them under 12mm. I don't know if its a infection that needs antibiotics or weather i should just see it through and self medicate. It don't seem to be easing off even with pain killers or throat lozengers. I had my tonsills out when i was a kid so its not that but all thats concerning me is my diabetes as i have had colds before but my sugar levels have never stayed high for this long only a couple of days thats whats making think do i need antibiotics?

tracey167

ClaireG 06

The only way you will know if you need antibiotics or not is by going to the Drs. I suggest you phone on Monday and try and get an appointment.

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Tracey167

see the Doc is the best bet .. as an interm measure have you tried gargling with water and beechams powders .. proper old fashioned home remedy .

Pre my diabetes I would have suggested a proper old school hot toddy , whisky, honey, lemon and hot water ... it wont cure you but will make you feel good ... not sure if it would the same without the honey . :silent:

Hamish
Ipswich

Ova

Hi, if you are ill always check for ketones, even if it does not feel that serious. If you have been taught sick day rules use them. If not and you have ketones then go to a&e because it can be serious. I don't want to alarm anyone but it is always better to be safe.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone,
I think i will make an appointment in the morning with the doctors last thing i need is to be ill over christmas when theres no doctors about. It felt like is was feeling better earlier today but now its really sore again it just feels though my throat is red raw and having a dry cough with it is'nt helping matters cos its just irritating it even more.

Thanks again

tracey167

ammacfarlane

Hi, I wondered how you got on at the doctor? I have had exactly the same thing for 2 weeks.

I am going to the drs this afternoon, did you get anti-biotics?

Ianmac

Dislikes
unfriendly people , chicken stirfry !!
Hi everyone. I have type 2. For the past 2 weeks or so i've felt unwell. Now , since last night , a cold has hit me...!! 1st time in a long while .Runny nose / blocked nose / sore throat / feeling dizzy...great start to the New Year eh...!!
I notice a good few of you people talk of your Blood Sugars going haywire and therefore the need to test.

My question is this ...ever since being diagnosed , with a 22-8 about 3 years ago ,I have NEVER self tested....my GP says I have no need , is this right.....?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
No. He is completely wrong. If you care about your future health, as a T2 diabetic, you MUST get a meter and monitor your Blood Glucose.

Ianmac

Dislikes
unfriendly people , chicken stirfry !!
WOW.....borofergie would you recommend I buy them myself or seek help from my GP....?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ianmac, I agree with borofergie, you need a meter. Try and get one and strips from your GP but as a Type 2, the answer will probably be no, as many of them think you don't need to test. Failing that, you definitely need to buy one.