Need advice!

jennahaywar

I’m an 18 year old female, i have struggled with anxiety and binging. From the start of secondary school i was eating £1 chocolate bars plus other little bits everyday sometimes multiple bars and biscuits a day plus meals. I’m not the most active and during lockdown 1 i was very sedentary and was eating multiple £1 bars a day. I don’t want to come across as insensitive to those who are diagnosed but i do have anxiety and i’m just not sure if it’s likely i would have developed the condition or if this is a worry in the head that’s got out of control. I am average weight for my age and haven’t noticed any serious symptoms. I recognise anyway that i need to change my diet however i’d really appreciate if anyone could give advice about how likely it may be i would have developed it or if anyone has had a similar diet/ experience. Thank you

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, You are still too young to see the long term damage that such a diet can cause but good thing is you are aware and conscious and asking which means you will hopefully do the right thing and make changes for better.

It is unlikely that forum members here can give you a clear answer for whether or not you have already developed diabetic conditions but it really is quite simple to check for yourself. Purchase a glucometer and as you are just doing preliminary checks you can go for a really cheap one... some are available on Amazon for as cheap as 10 to 15 quids and check your blood glucose first thing in the morning. The day before you test make sure you have followed a normal eating pattern so you know what your fasting blood glucose level is next day morning under normal circumstances. Now if the reading is higher than 7, you have reason to see the doctor because for non diabetics it shouldn't be that high first thing in the morning. If its between 5.7 to 7 then you must make changes to your life style and pronto. If it's below 5.7 you may still have age on your side to help you avoid becoming a full time diabetic.

Whatever you do, please do make sure you are taking positive action. Here's hoping you will never have to participate in these forums as a fellow diabetic. Stay safe and healthy.

Reactions: jennahaywar

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jenny
I've had a very sweet tooth all my life. I'm now over 60 and was only diagnosed this year. I'm not saying carry on and you've got decades of bad eating ahead of you, but rather if you start being sensible, mostly, now and only eating chocolate and things in moderation then you can stop worrying about diabetes and other health issues.
A bit of commonsense and moderation will leave you free to enjoy other parts of your life, fully and for many years to come
If you are over stressing and worrying about dietary stuff now you might like to look for help and support now, before it goes too far.
Xx

jennahaywar

Hi Jenny
I've had a very sweet tooth all my life. I'm now over 60 and was only diagnosed this year. I'm not saying carry on and you've got decades of bad eating ahead of you, but rather if you start being sensible, mostly, now and only eating chocolate and things in moderation then you can stop worrying about diabetes and other health issues.
A bit of commonsense and moderation will leave you free to enjoy other parts of your life, fully and for many years to come
If you are over stressing and worrying about dietary stuff now you might like to look for help and support now, before it goes too far.
Xx

Thank you this genuinely makes me feel much better , i’m so sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis x It’s just so unclear on the internet about the development of diabetes etc that with my anxiety i feel maybe i’ve taken the idea of me having it to heart and out of proportion . However you response has made me come back down to earth and reassess the situation so thank you!
wishing you the best x

Reactions: MrsA2

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Hi, You are still too young to see the long term damage that such a diet can cause but good thing is you are aware and conscious and asking which means you will hopefully do the right thing and make changes for better.

It is unlikely that forum members here can give you a clear answer for whether or not you have already developed diabetic conditions but it really is quite simple to check for yourself. Purchase a glucometer and as you are just doing preliminary checks you can go for a really cheap one... some are available on Amazon for as cheap as 10 to 15 quids and check your blood glucose first thing in the morning. The day before you test make sure you have followed a normal eating pattern so you know what your fasting blood glucose level is next day morning under normal circumstances. Now if the reading is higher than 7, you have reason to see the doctor because for non diabetics it shouldn't be that high first thing in the morning. If its between 5.7 to 7 then you must make changes to your life style and pronto. If it's below 5.7 you may still have age on your side to help you avoid becoming a full time diabetic.

Whatever you do, please do make sure you are taking positive action. Here's hoping you will never have to participate in these forums as a fellow diabetic. Stay safe and healthy.

You are young and could change things, instead of testing yourself I would see your doctor and have A1C tests done. An A1C test that measures your average blood sugar levels over the past 3 months and used to diagnose if someone is diabetic. You could use self testing with a meter to justify the A1C test with my doctor. I do agree with @nutribolt that I would concentrate on the readings from first thing in the mornings. I am assuming that you are in the UK the following link list the acceptable blood: sugar ranges:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

The reading from when you first wake up is probably a good indication of your control, but an A1C test would tell you where you are art with things, If you are constantly above 5.5 you could be at least pre-diabetic and 7.0 mmol/l or more you could be diabetic. The results of an A1C test will tell you that.

You are being proactive about worrying about being a diabetic and that us great because you catch things early and that is great. However you need changes to your diet the daily candy bars are little too much. Look at this way once I stopped eating them or having soda and lost my sweet tooth, when I did have them as a treat they tasted so much better!!!!!!

Seriously you need to look at your diet and I could give some suggestions, but that you need to talk with your doctor because I do not know you and what works for me may not work for you. I wished I asked these questions when I was your age,. I thought I was indestructible and had a terrible diet. Later when I was older I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I was foolish and ignored that diabetes ran in my family.

I know it is hard to any exercise during Covid, but walking 45 minutes a day worked wonders!! All the information I gave you about testing is to help you give the justification to see your doctor and have an A1C test done. Even if you are diagnosed as diabetic, please do not worry all of us here on the forum to help you. You are asking the correct question you just need to take the next step, keep it up.

@MrsA2 reply made a lot of sense ..........

Last edited:

jennahaywar

Hi thank you for your detailed response and i’ll take this all on board! i know my diet hasn’t been any good and indeed excessive however i’m just wondering if anyone can offer any clarification or judgement if it would likely cause diabetes? this is why i’ve been so panicked as the internet doesn’t offer such answers ( obviously i know it’s hard to tell as you do not know me but any ideas would be appreciated)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jennahaywar, yes you are young and your diet is probably not so very different from many people of your age and older. My opinion is that 'getting diabetes' no matter the type is about FAR more than eating too many chocolate bars at 18. I think the priority for you is to address the anxiety you have about getting something serious whether it be diabetes or something else. I wouldn't recommend getting a monitor in your situation, you are not an expert on the subject and the subject and interpretations of results can be very complex. It might make you more anxious over something you probably haven't got and might NEVER get. Let's face it, if getting type 2 was just about what you eat I'm sure most of the UK would have it. Having said that, a well balanced diet is the key to good health and although there are differing opinions about what constitutes one for a diabetic (lower carb) there is a lot you can do to improve your diet without panicking. Are you able to speak to someone about this fear? The issue coming on a forum like this (which is great) is that most replies will be specifically in relation to diabetes which you have not been diagnosed with (no symptoms etc). x

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Hi thank you for your detailed response and i’ll take this all on board! i know my diet hasn’t been any good and indeed excessive however i’m just wondering if anyone can offer any clarification or judgement if it would likely cause diabetes? this is why i’ve been so panicked as the internet doesn’t offer such answers ( obviously i know it’s hard to tell as you do not know me but any ideas would be appreciated)
I am a engineer by training so I could no help myself with my response! !!! Will you ever get diabetes? I do not know, but your diet is not helping matters ...... I do not know if you are over weight, but being overweight significantly increases the risk for getting diabetes. Even if you are not over weight now because you are young, but it could catch up with you when are older. Being over weight could lead to insulin resistance. Sometimes diabetes run in families it does in mine. I would concentrate on what you can control which is your diet. I just want to give some tools to help you to make decisions

@KK123 is correct getting a meter probably not the best idea, but I would if you are concerned then I would talk with your doctor who can explains things for you. I do agree with @KK123 about worrying things, but I just do not like discount things and that is reason why I suggested about seeing your doctor.

Last edited: