Toast substitute

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone please suggest a substitute for a slice of toast and marmalade for my breakfast?

Hi there, is it because you don't want to eat bread (or carbs) at all or do you just fancy a change? In other words, do you want this substitute to 'act' like toast or are you after a few different brekkie ideas that don't involve toast? Sorry if I sound intense over a piece of bread but carbs are taken VERY seriously on this forum!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Eggs - cooked in any style. Cold meat, bacon, plain full-fat greek style yogurt with a handful of berries.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Much as I like bacon, eggs, etc the only thing I want to eat at breakfast time is a bit of toast so I did a deal with myself and the only bread I have is a slice of very low carb bread toasted (I use HiLo 5g carbs from Sainsburys but there are quite a few eg Livlife, The Seriously Low Carb Company, many recipes to make, Google Keto Bread). Marmalade is not easy though I think there are some Low Carb jams to make or buy but I let my toast cool and slather it with good quality grass fed butter.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I quite like a plain chaffle with toppings. Jam and marmalade are out for me, but those waffle-dimples hold a lot of peanut butter...

Or equally copious amounts of cream cheese, topped with smoked salmon, with or without an egg.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone please suggest a substitute for a slice of toast and marmalade for my breakfast?

If you like me miss the bread toast trust me this link is a Godsend... I have to have my toast for breakfast and the no egg almond Flour bread recipe from Joe Duff is an absolutely perfect replacement for traditional bread... it has the right texture and takes all of 5 minutes to cook. You can toast it as normal bread and have with butter or whatever... I can't suggest a replacement for marmalade though.

Its very low carb (1.5 net carbs per slice) and is very filling so the catch is if i had 3 toasts of brown bread with this one half of what the recipe makes is all I am able to eat before I am full.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like me miss the bread toast trust me this link is a Godsend... I have to have my toast for breakfast and the no egg almond Flour bread recipe from Joe Duff is an absolutely perfect replacement for traditional bread... it has the right texture and takes all of 5 minutes to cook. You can toast it as normal bread and have with butter or whatever... I can't suggest a replacement for marmalade though.

Its very low carb (1.5 net carbs per slice) and is very filling so the catch is if i had 3 toasts of brown bread with this one half of what the recipe makes is all I am able to eat before I am full.
The guardian of the gate to my PC flashed red warnings at me for trying to look at the almond bread recipe.
Can you provide the recipe?

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The guardian of the gate to my PC flashed red warnings at me for trying to look at the almond bread recipe.
Can you provide the recipe?

Oh.. well yes sure... could the red warning be because I have saved that link using kutt.it link shortner... makes it easy for me to share when friends ask... the site I have checked is perfectly clean and this guy is a magician with keto recipes... I have tried so many of his recipes and all are super tasty... :)

Keto Yeast Bread | Easy, Low Carb, & Made in 5 Minutes
Keto-Yeast-Bread.jpg

A Keto Yeast Bread Recipe made in less than 5 minutes! This is THE BEST, easy to make, low carb yeast bread for the ketogenic diet. It's got the perfect chewiness to it, a delicious tanginess from the yeast, and it toasts incredibly well. Plus each slice of bread has just 1.5g NET CARBS!

• Author: The Diet Chef
  • Prep Time: 3 Minutes
  • Cook Time: 2
  • Total Time: 5 minutes
  • Yield: 4 Slices 1x
  • Category: Breakfast
  • Cuisine: Keto
SCALE
Ingredients
3/4 Cup (86g) Blanched Almond flour

2/3 Scoop (22g) Isopure Unflavored Whey Protein Powder

2 Tsps (6g) Confectioners Swerve

1 Tsp (3g) RapidRise Yeast

1/2 Tsp Baking Powder

1/4 Tsp Xanthan Gum

1/8 Tsp Salt

1/3 Cup (100g) Hot Water

Instructions
***I HIGHLY recommend using a food scale for this recipe***

In a medium-sized bowl add all of the dry ingredients.

Now add the water, and mix until a thick "paste" consistency forms in the bowl.

Once it does, coat a square glass sandwich container with baking spray, and add the batter to it.

Use a spatula to evenly spread it out in the dish, and then microwave for around 2:30.

Add 15 seconds of cook-time as needed until the top is firm.

***My microwave is 1100Watts and 2:30-3:00 is always about the right amount of time. Cook-times may vary depending on the Wattage of your microwave.

OVEN INSTRUCTIONS:
If you decide to bake the bread in the oven make sure to USE PARCHMENT PAPER. The bread can stick to the glass dish, and be a pain to get out, and the paper will ensure you can get it out of the dish as easy as possible.

Anyways, cook the bread in the oven at 350 Degrees Farenheit for around 15 minutes.

Cook just until the top is firm and golden brown.

Let the bread cool down in the dish until it reaches room temperature.

When it does, remove the bread from the dish, and use a bread knife to cut it in half.

Then use a larger knife to cut it into quarters.

Store in a sealed container for a couple of days.

Also the youtube link:

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

ontherun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made this at the end of last week. Got it from Youtube and was very pleasantly surprised. Will definitely make again. All macros are US measures.

Ingredients:

· 1/2 cup of Oat Fiber (41g/1.45oz)

· 2/3 cup of Flaxseed Meal (70g/2.46oz)

· 1.25 cups of Vital Wheat Gluten (190g/6.7oz)

· 1 teaspoon Salt (6g / 0.21oz)

· 0-4 Tablespoons powdered Sweetener (0 - 60g/ 0-2oz)

· 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum (2.5g/0.088oz)

· 1 cup warm water (50-55C / 120-131F) (240ml/8.1oz)

· 1 Tablespoon INSTANT Yeast (8g/0.28oz)

· 1 teaspoon Honey (7g/0.25oz) 2 Eggs (lightly beaten)

· 2 Tablespoons softened Butter (30g/1.05oz)

Macros for entire loaf:

· Calories: 1517 cal

· Fat: 90g

· Carbs: 35g Net Carbs (162g total carbs – 67g fibre – 60g sugar alcohols)

· Protein: 169g

Macros per slice (assuming 18 slices):

· Calories: 105 cal

· Fat: 5g

· Carbs: 1.94g Net Carbs (9g total carbs – 3.76g fibre – 3.3g sugar alcohols)

· Protein: 9.4g

OTR

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks strange is it a sort of cake with all that sweetener in it?

ontherun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, it's bread. And very good bread too. The sweetener is to taste depending on what you use. I used 1tsp Stevia/erythritol.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No, it's bread. And very good bread too. The sweetener is to taste depending on what you use. I used 1tsp Stevia/erythritol.
Oh - sorry - the penny did not drop as I don't associate any sweetness with bread.
I will have to try that though - without sweetener, but at the moment don't have oat fibre. There always seems to be another thing to find with low carb baking.

ontherun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is all new to me so bought all sorts to try different things. I made one from almond flour the day before this one but the recipe I posted is so much better. Really soft and fluffy and makes a great sandwich as well as great toast. I dropped the yeast & honey into the water, gave it a good stir and left it for 10 minutes before adding it to the dry mix.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I quite like a plain chaffle with toppings. Jam and marmalade are out for me, but those waffle-dimples hold a lot of peanut butter...

Or equally copious amounts of cream cheese, topped with smoked salmon, with or without an egg.
I've just had my 1st (basic) chaffle today :) Think I'm going to be experimenting

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you test your BS as you may be ok with some breads eg I can have either a slice of Hovis seeded (in the orange wrapper) or their pumpkin and sunflower seed bread with no effect on my BS. For alternatives try Greek yoghurt with berries or, on days I’m not working, I’ll have either scrambled eggs with fried mushrooms and peppers, poached eggs on toast or Paello Cereal.