Which one has maximum impact to blood sugar

pkumar

Hi
I have listed down below 5 areas to bring down BS and attempt to put into remission zone

Can you pls help prirotize based on your experienxe that causes maximum benefit to reducing BS by changing below parameter

1. Good Seep
2. Less Stress
3. LCHF
4. Medcines
5. Any form of physical activity like walking swimming yoga etc
6 reduction in wt...leading to healthy BMI

Any other you want to add

Would like to understand which causes maximum benefit and accordingly effott can be put in that priority.

Thanks
Kumar

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In my opinion.
It's mainly diet which then can lead to weight loss, which then makes you less stressed, sleep improves, exercise if you want but not essential. I'm saving medicines for use in the future if required.

Reactions: Lamont D

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'd agree with @bulkbiker but probably put exercise at 2 or 3 in the list. The weight loss should follow automatically if you low carb, as weight gain is a symptom of overly high blood sugars. Exercise has massive health benefits even if it doesn't havecnearly as much effect on your blood sugar as diet.

Reactions: pkumar and Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi
I have listed down below 5 areas to bring down BS and attempt to put into remission zone

Can you pls help prirotize based on your experienxe that causes maximum benefit to reducing BS by changing below parameter

1. Good Seep
2. Less Stress
3. LCHF
4. Medcines

Would like to understand which causes maximum benefit and accordingly effott can be put in that priority.

Thanks
Kumar

What I discovered through my journey was I had to change my thinking, how I could get control of my glucose and the tools required to achieve this.
I changed my complete dietary intake, through trial and error, I had to stop eating food that causes the trigger to stop the over production of insulin.
I didn't really know how certain things would pan out. So I decided that I would use all the tests and blood testing results from my diary to get my balance of protein and fats.
I discovered walking was great for blood sugar levels after a meal.
I discovered that if I fasted, my body would not create hormones especially insulin.
I found out that eating the right balance, improved my health.
Before diagnosis I had issues with sleep deprivation, since my dietary changes, my sleep patterns have improved.
My weight was a big concern to my doctor and of course myself. Because of my dietary changes, I didn't need to do anything special that would let me lose weight, it happened anyway.
Meds, I have always maintained that if at first, dietary changes were doing nothing to bring down your Hba1c levels, meds might be needed to help you. But these meds have to be tailored to you and how food and how hormonal response is causing the imbalance in particular insulin and insulin resistance, and controlling the spikes. There are so many drugs for diabetes and they all do different things, getting the one that actually works is so important and vital to your health.
As you see what I did was a complete package of doing all you have listed above at the same time, because I found you couldn't you couldn't target one more than the other, the whole package delivers.
And you have to do this, it is individual, what works for me, probably won't work for you.
Unfortunately, stress is related to health issues, the less stressful your life, and obviously with the pandemic, how we live our lives and pressure on our lifestyles do cause issues with blood sugar levels.
I am currently on meds for anxiety and depression. I did have a very stressful job, which I did cope with but since, I had a breakdown and of course had an impact on my lifestyle.
Back under control now.

The only other thing missing is a food diary. My food diary goes back to 2012 and I learned a huge amount of how my blood levels were doing in response to the foods that didn't trigger the reaction.

So, you just cannot use any one of your list without the others.
Make a plan and stick to it, use all the tools that will help you get started with controlling your diabetes.

If you need advice on anything particular to your changes in lifestyle, do ask, there is a lot of great information on here.

Keep safe

Reactions: pkumar

pkumar

In my opinion.
It's mainly diet which then can lead to weight loss, which then makes you less stressed, sleep improves, exercise if you want but not essential. I'm saving medicines for use in the future if required.
Thank you very much for help.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I agree with @EllieM . Exercise builds and maintains muscle which is active tissue and therefore helps to reduce blood glucose levels. It is also a great way to reduce stress and to aid good sleep. I would see LCHF first and medication last but the others as a collective in the middle.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For me?
3, 3, 3, 3, 3 and 3.
Medicines made me very, very ill.
Once you get the diet right, everything else seems to follow without effort or planning.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
3. LCHF
6. reduction in wt
1. Good Sleep
2. Less Stress
4. Medicines

I'd guess 95% of the impact in my case has been LCHF.

For me reduction in size (rather than weight) followed directly from LCHF. I've lost some weight but a lot of size - six inches off waist, for example. BMI I don't bother about, I'm one of the people it doesn't work for. Waist to height ratio does.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Can’t comment on meds as I didn’t take any myself.

I’d put diet as 1, and exercise as 2. The rest come along for the ride.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others. However I have not been able to lose much weight, despite trying, although I have moved from morbidly obese to seriously obese, yet I still achieved remission. So the order for me was

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I pretty much agree with the previous posters but I focused on what I could control. I can do LCHF as I control what I eat. I can decide and control exercise. Doing LCHF made me lose weight. I have less control over sleep and exercise so rate them less. I haven't needed medication other than metformin.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is easy to underestimate the importance of a good night’s sleep, in both the long and short term.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless it is Metformin, I would say medicine has the greatest impact, however it is the least desirable option, so try any or all of the others first.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me - simply LCHF. I'm a fat inactive old woman who often doesn't sleep very well, but just cutting right down on carbohydrate consumption was all I actually needed to do, with almost immediate reduction in my glucose levels, and 20 kilos weight loss shortly after - though this loss had very little impact on my glucose. I was diagnosed over 7 years ago, and for at least half of that time haven't needed any diabetic medication, and my glucose has mainly been pretty stable in the low pre diabetic/high normal range,

Stress etc and some medications can cause me temporary increases in glucose levels, but I don't consider them as major diabetes management issues.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep yep yep - what everyone says. LCHF has been a complete life-changer for me and resolved not only my BG but also made a whole heap of minor chronic health niggles go away, as well as improving my self-esteem via weight loss and that feeling that I’ve got this, and am managing it successfully.

A bit of exercise helps with all of that too.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

1. Good Seep
2. Less Stress
3. LCHF
4. Medcines

Thanks
Kumar
3,6,5,2,1,4 for me :happy:

Reactions: pkumar