Abstenuary February, anyone?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Found it hard today as working at home on my PC I definitely find it much easier to abstain when I’m out and about walking or caring and well away from temptations of my kitchen! @Goonergal thank you for this thread I’m sure it’s what helped me to keep going and stick to eating as planned. No nuts for snacking eaten and very little cream - a bit in my hm lc truffle( mixture included 60mls of cream and two teaspoons of almond butter in with the 200g of 100% choc and 100g of butter for 41 truffles).

Reactions: DJC3

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Giving up beer has made a difference.
Also avoiding the Oppo ice cream for the moment.

I assume that everyone else is giving up nuts and cream to lose weight when I am just trying to get my BG down.
Cream and chocolate rock, still can't persuade myself to eat nuts although I do like them.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume that everyone else is giving up nuts and cream to lose weight when I am just trying to get my BG down.

Combination for me. As a one-off neither nuts, dark chocolate, cream or nut butter disturbs my BG too much. However their addictive nature means that a) I over eat them and b) I then get triggered into over eating other stuff. The effects of these are to both raise BG and increase weight.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cream and chocolate rock, still can't persuade myself to eat nuts although I do like them.

Not me, my weight seems pretty stable since going lc/Keto.
Like you I’m trying to bring my BGs down, just can’t figure out why it’s decided to creep up to 6s and stubbornly stay there after a year or 2 of 5s

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
assume that everyone else is giving up nuts and cream to lose weight when I am just trying to get my BG down.
A combination of both for me. I do need to lose weight. I find the heavier I get, the higher the BG levels creep up.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not me, my weight seems pretty stable since going lc/Keto.
Like you I’m trying to bring my BGs down, just can’t figure out why it’s decided to creep up to 6s and stubbornly stay there after a year or 2 of 5s
Been at this T2 lark now for 16 years. Just as I think I have it sussed a curve ball gets chucked. Trial and error, is all I have. Used Very low cal, LCHF, IF, OMAD , attempted carnivore. Think I need to mix and match to confuse my metabolism.
Currently managing without cream and nuts, vastly reduced cheese, increased eggs. Digestive system not too happy. BG levels have greater variance than usual, and I am not liking the very few times it has fallen sharply to below 4.
Keeping trying.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My reducing portion sizes, especially cream is to lose a bit of weight gained last year.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been at this T2 lark now for 16 years. Just as I think I have it sussed a curve ball gets chucked. Trial and error, is all I have. Used Very low cal, LCHF, IF, OMAD , attempted carnivore. Think I need to mix and match to confuse my metabolism.
Currently managing without cream and nuts, vastly reduced cheese, increased eggs. Digestive system not too happy. BG levels have greater variance than usual, and I am not liking the very few times it has fallen sharply to below 4.
Keeping trying.

I’ve not been at it as long as you, but I agree - I’ve also found that diabetes loves to Chuck in a curve ball, just when you think you’ve got the hang of it. Every day is a school day!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have kept to my food plan today and went out for a walk even though it was sub zero outside!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of both here too. Bgl been stuck at the same prediabetic levels since a few months post diagnosis and it’s not where I want them. If I turned up at the dr for the first time today they’d say “lower my levels” (well I hope they would, they didn’t first time I hit these numbers on the way up!). So this is a last ditch effort to do all I can comfortably do diet wise before I try metformin much as I’m reluctant to do so but something has to change. I’ve also crept on a good few kilos over the last year or so which can do one too.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay managed to get out for a brisk walk just now. Snow blowing about but not sticking, quite pleasant really when you have a nice warm house awaiting your return. Although there was , as they say up north, a bitterly cold ‘lazy wind’ (blows through you not round you!)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Both for me - I am on a tighten up, getting ready for my well overdue annual check my last full one was in March 2019 and after that my last nhs 6 monthly jan 2020( was delayed due to staff shortage from September 2019 ) I’ve had some private tests in interim to keep an eye but keen to have a full check. I’m also keen that my hbaca1 and weight are as good as possible with my dietary management.
This thread and my annual now scheduled for a couple of weeks time are helping me stick to a narrower eating time and ditch the nut snacking!
Hope everyone okay - this cold weather, I feel, does make it harder to stick to. I’m just about to listen to a motivational podcast and walk indoors have been stuck indoors working all day.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve stuck to my meal plan again and went for a walk despite sub zero temperatures and constant snow fall throughout the day, was glad to get home to a hot cup of coffee (black no sugar!)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not perfect on my February plan but much better than many previous months.

I’m also consistently 18 hr fasting to try and help along with plan A of much less choc and wine and figures are getting worse! How am I dumping so much glucose when there should be little excess stores to dump! Morning fasting rising and staying high until I eat at lunchtime. Next plan is ditching the 18hrs and having a single boiled egg or lump of cheddar for breakfast and see if that breaks the dumping pattern without setting off the post breakfast hunger.

February plan seems to be “find a new plan”

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m finding it surprisingly easy at the moment not to have nuts or nut butter.
Tried to eat a bit of cream yesterday in cauliflower cheese sauce. I thought I was ok but this morning nearly late for work due to 3 last minute dashes to the loo.
I’m really dismayed by the fact that cream really does seem to be the cause of intermittent ongoing gut issues.
Definitely won’t be having any more this month.
It’s funny, I hadn’t even thought of giving up cream. Nuts were my nemesis but yet again diabetes has chucked a curve ball!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not perfect on my February plan but much better than many previous months.

I’m also consistently 18 hr fasting to try and help along with plan A of much less choc and wine and figures are getting worse! How am I dumping so much glucose when there should be little excess stores to dump! Morning fasting rising and staying high until I eat at lunchtime. Next plan is ditching the 18hrs and having a single boiled egg or lump of cheddar for breakfast and see if that breaks the dumping pattern without setting off the post breakfast hunger.

February plan seems to be “find a new plan”

The glucose dumping conundrum has me flummoxed too. Where is it all coming from? I’ll watch your results with interest.

Reactions: HSSS

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m finding it surprisingly easy at the moment not to have nuts or nut butter.
Tried to eat a bit of cream yesterday in cauliflower cheese sauce. I thought I was ok but this morning nearly late for work due to 3 last minute dashes to the loo.
I’m really dismayed by the fact that cream really does seem to be the cause of intermittent ongoing gut issues.
Definitely won’t be having any more this month.
It’s funny, I hadn’t even thought of giving up cream. Nuts were my nemesis but yet again diabetes has chucked a curve ball!
That has happened to me with cream, too. Though that seems to have resolved, and now eggs give some trouble. Though not all the time. Confusing? Oh yes! Even with an ‘elimination diet’ , supervised and supported by HCP, there was no discernable pattern.
I am no longer missing cream. Nuts and cheese, I crave, but have not weakened.
Also, reflecting on what I have been doing differently, I realise that I am not drinking water as much as I used to. Partly because when I get out for exercise, there are no toilet facilities, so reduced input = reduced output. That doesn’t explain why my coffee , without milk or sweeteners, consumption has doubled over last few months. An aha moment. Going to go back to drinking at least 2 litres of water a day, and reduce coffee from 6 or 7 to 3 or less a day.

Reactions: DJC3 and shelley262

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My choc/nut cravings have dropped with a few consistent days without the nuts. I hadn’t planned on dropping nuts, but having dropped the choc, was eating too many of them and that seemed to be triggering cravings, so looks like giving them a miss is a good idea.

@DJC3 my guts reacted very strongly to a large portion of cheese (in the form of a carnivore pizza), so it looks like for me quantity is important with dairy. I’ll have to adapt that recipe.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am very amused that my choc cravings have been non-existant, but Mr B is now making it a mission to find me other treats to replace the choc. Very sweet of him, but despite repeated requests to stop doing it, he is still bringing stuff home. Yesterday was a family sized bar of white dairy milk choc 'I thought it was only the dark stuff you couldn't eat now'.

So we had a little chat about the 65% carbs in the white dairy milk, and then he admitted that he had thought of buying me crisps, which were 65% carb, but decided not to, and ended up bringing the white choc home instead.

:banghead: bless the dear kind generous man, but he doesn't make it easy, sometimes :banghead:

However, my guts are continuing to be interesting.
Had another divine veg/meat curry at the w/e, loved it, and had no repercussions from it. Which was FAB
Then last night I made up a rather nice pea and ham soup (have been craving it for some reason). Was pleased with the taste (and the bg results on my Libre), but a small bowl of it sat in my stomach like a lead weight, for 6 hours. Apparently, my guts can digest dhal and lentils, but not peas. Go figure. Anyway, there are 4 litres of the soup spread between fridge and freezer, so I guess those guts are on a learning curve. lol.

Last edited:

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am very amused that my choc cravings have been non-existant, but Mr B is now making it a mission to find me other treats to replace the choc. Very sweet of him, but despite repeated requests to stop doing it, he is still bringing stuff home. Yesterday was a family sized bar of white dairy milk choc 'I thought it was only the dark stuff you couldn't eat now'.

So we had a little chat about the 65% carbs in the white dairy milk, and then he admitted that he had thought of buying me crisps, which were 65% carb, but decided not to, and ended up bringing the white choc home instead.

:banghead: bless the dear kind generous man, but he doesn't make it easy, sometimes :banghead:

However, my guts are continuing to be interesting.
Had another divine veg/meat curry at the w/e, loved it, and had no repercussions from it. Which was FAB
Then last night I made up a rather nice pea and ham soup (have been craving it for some reason). Was pleased with the taste (and the bg results on my Libre), but a small bowl of it sat in my stomach like a lead weight, for 6 hours. Apparently, my guts can digest dhal and lentils, but not peas. Go figure. Anyway, there are 4 litres of the soup spread between fridge and freezer, so I guess those guts are on a learning curve. lol.
Did you use green peas? I always use dried yellow split peas in pea n ham soup, they are the same as dhal, I think. Or just try red lentils instead as a full or partial replacement, perhaps?