Breakfasts for type 2 diabetics

Boyary23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Any tips for breakfast for picky type 2 diabetic. Doesn't like the smell of cooked eggs eg scrambled, had enough of PON pancakes, doesn't like yoghurt or fresh milk!

Alist

I am keen to know what other breakfast options might be. I initially bought a high protein muesli which is low carb and mostly seeds and coconut with almonds it’s quite hard going not to mention expensive!!! I understand that Burgen bread is low carb we have been without bread for 6 weeks now and we are very excited to try it for breakfast today with mushrooms and halloumi. Not everyone’s taste I know but like you I couldn’t eat eggs every day. I am also a bit unnerved by cold avocado in the morning!! So also following this one

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can eat anything you’d eat at any other time of day - no need for ‘special’ breakfast foods. Or skip it.

Reactions: SarahEN

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
You can eat anything you’d eat at any other time of day - no need for ‘special’ breakfast foods. Or skip it.

I agree with @Goonergal - I sometimes have a bowl of chicken soup and a little cheese to follow; other days I have cold meat, cheese, celery and peanut butter perhaps a protein shake with berries...or some nice oily fish like a mackerel or sardines with salad...

I'm lucky in that I'm not a fussy eater and will pretty much eat anything...which can be a curse too of course!

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Reactions: Trio1

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chaffles, sweet or plain, or home-made keto scones. I’m not a huge fan of eggs, although I am coming round to them in moderation, but I do love a boiled egg with bacon ‘soldiers’. They don’t smell while cooking, and someone gave me an ancient electric egg boiler machine which basically steams them with no effort or input from me!

But I only eat breakfast at weekend, I only have coffee with cream during the week.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6/7 days I don't eat breakfast. About once a week I have a proper fry...which for me includes eggs but also includes bacon/ 100% meat sausage/ mushrooms...and cabbage.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cold meats, fish, cheese

Make an extra portion of dinner and have it for the following breakfast

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Waitrose also sell Livlife bread which is 3.8 g carbs a slice. Small but filling.

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a very low carb 'bread' in my local waitrose which is nice. Its basically seeds & ground seeds in the shape of a loaf. It's very dense & filling so you don't need a lot of it.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/the-heart-of-nature-pure-grain-bread/836840-558656-558657

I tried that. It's OK, but it's not bread. The stuff I make myself is far better (and has far fewer carbs).

Here's the current version.

The below gives a normal sized loaf, much like a sort of wholemeal brioche, that contains 46g of net carbs.

10g Psyllium Husk
70g Flaxseed Meal
190g Vital Wheat Gluten
10g Salt
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum (optional)
8g Instant Yeast
15g Erythritol (optional, you could also add a spoonful of real sugar or honey instead if you want as the yeast will use it up anyway)
Mix those dried ingredients.

Add 250ml tepid water and one egg
30g softened Butter or olive oil

Knead for a good 10 mins. Use a machine, it's very hard to hand knead.

Shape with wet hands, or put in a greased tin.
Let rise in a warm place for up to 2 hours until doubled.

Bake c. 40 mins at 200 C

Last edited:

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any tips for breakfast for picky type 2 diabetic. Doesn't like the smell of cooked eggs eg scrambled, had enough of PON pancakes, doesn't like yoghurt or fresh milk!

Sausages and bacon.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bratwurst sausages, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes. Slices of corned beef, ham, cheese - cheese and ham rollups. 2 squares lindtt 90% dark chocolate with peanut butter on top washed down with a cup of tea/coffee. kippers, tin of sardines or even tuna or salmon. chicken drumsticks

SarahEN

I tried that. It's OK, but it's not bread. The stuff I make myself is far better (and has far fewer carbs).

Here's the current version.

The below gives a normal sized loaf, much like a sort of wholemeal brioche, that contains 46g of net carbs.

10g Psyllium Husk
70g Flaxseed Meal
190g Vital Wheat Gluten
10g Salt
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum (optional)
8g Instant Yeast
15g Erythritol (optional, you could also add a spoonful of real sugar or honey instead if you want as the yeast will use it up anyway)
Mix those dried ingredients.

Add 250ml tepid water and one egg
30g softened Butter or olive oil

Knead for a good 10 mins. Use a machine, it's very hard to hand knead.

Shape with wet hands, or put in a greased tin.
Let rise in a warm place for up to 2 hours until doubled.

Bake c. 40 mins at 200 C
Thanks! Agreed the seed stuff is not like real bread at all.

In your recipe is the sweetener necessary? I try to avoid it if at all possible.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I really wished I could skip breakfast as I get up at 5am and dont want to eat but my numbers go up and up if I dont eat.

I just wanted to say to op that not all yogurts are equal, I eat Fage 5% with berries and linwoods milled flax seed, if I cant get a hold of Fage I try others and there are massive differences, some nice some awful, so if you havent experimented with different yogurts it could be worth a try.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I really wished I could skip breakfast as I get up at 5am and dont want to eat but my numbers go up and up if I dont eat.

I just wanted to say to op that not all yogurts are equal, I eat Fage 5% with berries and linwoods milled flax seed, if I cant get a hold of Fage I try others and there are massive differences, some nice some awful, so if you havent experimented with different yogurts it could be worth a try.
Greek yoghurt ftw. Fage is okay but there are others slightly lower carb, I like Tesco’s own brand

I use the various linwoods and strawberries. Pretty much as my daily snack

Sugarlisa

I’ve got chia seeds in sugar free coconut milk in the fridge for morning which will look like overnight pudding for breakfast lol