Late afternoon highs

Hi everyone.
Have been experiencing a trend in my blood sugar to rise to highs of 15+ mid-late afternoon. This is at least 4 hours after lunch, during those 4 hours my blood sugar stabilises nicely indicating correct NOVORAPID for lunch.

I see two potential problems here:

1. Delayed digestion of carbs at lunch causing spike much later after consumption

2. Issue with background insulin, either the lifespan ceases at around 4pm-ish (I take 9 units levemir at 8am and 8 units at 10pm), or I need more levemir.

What would you all suggest I experiment with?

Many thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.
Have been experiencing a trend in my blood sugar to rise to highs of 15+ mid-late afternoon. This is at least 4 hours after lunch, during those 4 hours my blood sugar stabilises nicely indicating correct NOVORAPID for lunch.

I see two potential problems here:

1. Delayed digestion of carbs at lunch causing spike much later after consumption

2. Issue with background insulin, either the lifespan ceases at around 4pm-ish (I take 9 units levemir at 8am and 8 units at 10pm), or I need more levemir.

What would you all suggest I experiment with?

Many thanks

Hi,

I'd probably start looking at what the basal is doing with a basal test first. If only just to rule it out?

Technician87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great deal really...I'm easy!!
Have you tried experimenting with different foods for lunch? Or have you started eating something different for lunch? It's noodles that get me...like 4 hours later after stable bloods they just start climbing and climbing, only ever happend when I've eaten noodles...biscuits don't do that so life's good

Reactions: KK123

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey sorry to hear that. I've noticed that my sugars tend to be higher In the morning and early afternoon. Even with correct insulin dose and even additional units for high correction

If it persists I'd speak to your healthcare professional for advice.

Hope it gets better

HighLows

Hey sorry to hear that. I've noticed that my sugars tend to be higher In the morning and early afternoon. Even with correct insulin dose and even additional units for high correction

If it persists I'd speak to your healthcare professional for advice.

Hope it gets better
im the same ....no matter what i do, i spike hard in the morning and go into freefall from 2-5 after i eat. i have to do double insulin in AM and half after 2pm.

i suspect its due to my life of not doing breakfast, exercising in the AM, and eating mostly after 2 pm. and snacking at night. my body has adjusted to this. which is pretty amazing on the one hand. on the other hand, where is that help when im fighting to stay above 50 for an hour?

been forcing some food in the morning and delaying exercise. hopefully the old body will help me settle.

Reactions: Mark-optimistic