Ingredients for cooking

Lauren_951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been recently diagnosed with type 2 and I am trying to adjust the meals I am cooking.

Can I use tomato purée? It is 15% sugar but the ingredients just say tomatoes and oil?

Are there any other swaps that I will need to make with basic cooking and seasonings?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reactions: ianpspurs

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats probably just the natural sugar in tomatoes, and with puree you're probably only using small amounts. OK in moderation.
Stick mainly to meat fish eggs cheese and veg that grows above ground ( the ones that grow below can be carbier)
Cut right down on flour, bread, cakes, pasta, rice, potatoes
Best of all it to get a blood glucose monitor and test your self before and 2 hours after each meal. You will soon see which foods affect your levels too much.

There's also lots of people who would avoid seed oils such as sunflower and corn and only use olive oil or coconut oil.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been recently diagnosed with type 2 and I am trying to adjust the meals I am cooking.

Can I use tomato purée? It is 15% sugar but the ingredients just say tomatoes and oil?

Are there any other swaps that I will need to make with basic cooking and seasonings?

Thanks in advance
I think tomatoes might be one of those very personal foodstuffs - I find they don’t affect my BG, either when eaten raw or tinned for sauces, and even my extremely sweet tomato sauce made from home-grown toms last year is fine for me. Best to check how they affect you personally, a meter is a great help.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's worth doing a bit of label-reading on tinned tomatoes and tomato puree. If the labels are to be believed, tinned tomatoes can vary from 6g/100 to 9g/100 and 15g/100. One 400g tin is therefore about 24g carbs, minimum. Puree had the same variation. It looks like some have things added.....If I remember correctly the cheaper end (own brands etc) had the fewest carbs, although that might not be the case everywhere.

I also use lard and olive oil rather than any alternatives, and as a matter of principle use things with as few ingredients and as little processing as possible, Example - ready made sauces are completely out for me. Watch out for gravy and sauce thickeners too.