Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
So, had my first vaccine dose yesterday. Pleased to say it must be working as I have had a terrible night. By 9pm I was pretty blasé about it but by 10 I was very cold, shivering and went to bed with a hot waster bottle. Husband said I was very hot. Should have had some paracetamol, as by the middle of the night I ached all over and was actually delirious. Haven’t experienced that since I was a child. It was the Oxford one. Going to do very little today.
I had the Oxford AZ too, Becca, on Friday. The side effects are most unpleasant! Really surprised, I didn’t expect to still feel under par four days later. Blood sugars raised, but I expected that as it happens with an immune response.
BTW, there’s a thread about the vaccination in General Chat.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB, snap, I get mine on Saturday and I'm not in the top 4 groups but the next one dosn. Don't know why, unless they've done the top 4 here, but it'd be rude to not go!

Blowing a gale and freezing here, hope you're all coping with whatever weather's in your area.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got a phone call inviting me to go for my jab Saturday as well. It's the Oxford AZ one, so am a bit nervous after reading others experiences, although I know a lot of people who have had no side effects at all with it (all over 70), and a younger person who had bad side effects but they said that was because she'd had Covid. We'll see, i've got the paracetamol handy!! A consultant friend told my mum years ago to have 2 straight after any flu vaccination and 2 before bed and she never had any bother. Whether she would have done without the paracetamol who knows, but it's worth trying.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, had my first vaccine dose yesterday. Pleased to say it must be working as I have had a terrible night. By 9pm I was pretty blasé about it but by 10 I was very cold, shivering and went to bed with a hot waster bottle. Husband said I was very hot. Should have had some paracetamol, as by the middle of the night I ached all over and was actually delirious. Haven’t experienced that since I was a child. It was the Oxford one. Going to do very little today.
Hope you're feeling a bit better today @becca59

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the Oxford AZ too, Becca, on Friday. The side effects are most unpleasant! Really surprised, I didn’t expect to still feel under par four days later. Blood sugars raised, but I expected that as it happens with an immune response.
BTW, there’s a thread about the vaccination in General Chat.
Hope you soon feel better @Fairygodmother. Have just read about your side effects on another thread, they sound horrible!

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wo hoo. I've actually managed to get my hands on one of these...

Things will be interesting with the xDrip set up in a couple of days..

2021-02-09 15.36.46.jpg

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pleased to say after an unprecedented 9 hours sleep last night I feel perky today. Just an aching arm. Shall be downing those paracetamol after the next one.
Interesting you didn’t feel too well after yours @Fairygodmother. So pleased I’ve had it though. Quite prepared to put up with side affects.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Got lucky today in our snowstorm. A covid vaccination clinic was going on, and they didn’t have enough people- it was going to be wasted if it wasn’t used. So I drove over and had the shot even before I could finish the paperwork. They were taking anybody who wanted it. So I drove home, picked up my daughter, returned to the store and she was also able to get it.

From it we were then also signed up to get the follow up vaccination. So where we both didn’t meet the correct demographic for the vaccination requirement, now we are past the gate and in line for the 2nd dose.

Sometimes we just get lucky.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Seemingly both vaccines contain sugar, which is another explanation for raised BG after receiving them: https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/covid-19-vaccines

That would certainly explain a lot! I had my first 14+ fasting the next morning since my pre-insulin days.

That was after landing home on a 4.7 about an hour after the vaccine around 5.30 p.m. then having had a very regular meal with its usual insulin dose, with some added basal as I wasn't going to be very active the day after. I'd walked the 3.5 miles to the vaccine centre but bussed most of the way home so had assumed the 4.7 was due to the walk and a slightly later meal. I'll take the combination of my body yelling about the vaccine plus unknown quantities of sucrose in the vaccine.

Morning all!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone. Very cold overnight here but looks absolutely gorgeous out. Sat in bed having my cuppa looking out over snow dusted trees and hills. Shall have to get up though Morrisons order due in an hour.
Oh joy! More cleaning quarantining and hand scrubbing. Still there’s a nice bottle of red coming with it.
Have a great Thursday all.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wo hoo. I've actually managed to get my hands on one of these...

Things will be interesting with the xDrip set up in a couple of days..

View attachment 47356
Let us know how it goes, please. I’ve looked at the Facebook MM thread and there’s a bit of traffic about setting up with Libre2. Just hoping it’ll go straight from MM to a watlaa when it comes my way. Good luck. Don’t throw any of the tech across the room if you get frustrated. Can’t cheerfully imagine how to calibrate and relay on carrying a reader around again without being cross that I have a less accommodating little friend.

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hope you soon feel better @Fairygodmother. Have just read about your side effects on another thread, they sound horrible!
Feeling much better today, and I hope it goes well for you. Paracetamol. And fruit teas. And not risking the steep drive in the snow, or the icy pavements.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Seemingly both vaccines contain sugar, which is another explanation for raised BG after receiving them: https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/covid-19-vaccines
A simple correction with a bit of insulin should fix the glucose in the vaccine. I suspect everyone’s infection responses vary a bit, just keep alarms on and check regularly too to catch a rise or a fall.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let us know how it goes, please. I’ve looked at the Facebook MM thread and there’s a bit of traffic about setting up with Libre2. Just hoping it’ll go straight from MM to a watlaa when it comes my way. Good luck. Don’t throw any of the tech across the room if you get frustrated. Can’t cheerfully imagine how to calibrate and relay on carrying a reader around again without being cross that I have a less accommodating little friend.

Hi,

I got another couple of days with the current L1 sensor.

But have downloaded a patch for the L2 regarding Xdrip on my phone, in readyness.
In therory. I think I may still need the MM2 for the Watlaa.

If it all goes wrong? I just revert back to thr L1.. I self fund.
Though having said that. I've no idea how long the L1s will continue production.

Reactions: Jollymon

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Feeling much better today, and I hope it goes well for you. Paracetamol. And fruit teas. And not risking the steep drive in the snow, or the icy pavements.
That's good. Thank you. Snow just about gone here, so no problems getting to vaccination centre, which is a huge plus not to have that worry as well.