Abbott Libre 2

newton45

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everybody i am on a clinical trial for the Libre continuosly monitored glucose system.
I have a sensor attached to both arms which monitors the interstitial fluid.
I have noticed that consistently, the readings from my right arm are much higher than the readings from the left.
For example, RT arm reading 9.5 mmol/L, left arm 7.5mmol/L.
It's not tolerances in the sensor, as this is my 3rd trial, all with new sensors, & the results are consistently higher in my right arm!
Any thoughts on this welcome, as they don't seem to know the reason at the clinic.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi everybody i am on a clinical trial for the Libre continuosly monitored glucose system.
I have noticed that consistently, the readings from my right arm are much higher than the readings from the left.
It's not tolerances in the sensor, as this is my 3rd trial, all with new sensors, & the results are consistently higher in my right arm!
Any thoughts on this welcome, as they don't seem to know the reason at the clinic.

Have you tried to calibrate with a finger prick to get actual blood glucose?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have one idea..
What happens if you scan each sensor then twenty minutes later test the corresponding side with a meter.?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

This is interesting. I have discovered (almost accidently by looking at old libre readings) that when I wear it on my left arm it ALWAYS reads lower across the whole 14 days. It is less accurate on my left arm as well when tested against finger prick readings. I have had to send around 3 out of 16 sensors back ALL having been on the left arm and reading ridiculously low. When I wear it on my right (and I use it alternately for each arm) it corresponds with finger tests right from the word go. I actually wondered whether it was to do with the left side being nearer the heart! Don't ask me why though. x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is interesting. I have discovered (almost accidently by looking at old libre readings) that when I wear it on my left arm it ALWAYS reads lower across the whole 14 days. It is less accurate on my left arm as well when tested against finger prick readings. I have had to send around 3 out of 16 sensors back ALL having been on the left arm and reading ridiculously low. When I wear it on my right (and I use it alternately for each arm) it corresponds with finger tests right from the word go. I actually wondered whether it was to do with the left side being nearer the heart! Don't ask me why though. x

I saw an online lecture years back about the discrepancies regarding the left & righthand side of the body's BG.
But i cant remember the logic? There would certainly be a bit of a lag in the blood flow system.

My understanding,
Imagine adding antifreeze to the coolant system in a car & it would take a while to mix the consistency?
The guy giving the talk was more preoccupied with proving fructose don't raise blood sugar. At that point i switched off.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is interesting, I’m going to have to take a note of which arm my Libre is on from now on.
I wonder if it makes a difference if you are right or left handed?

Reactions: KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is interesting, I’m going to have to take a note of which arm my Libre is on from now on.
I wonder if it makes a difference if you are right or left handed?

Please come back and tell us. It could be coincidence I know individually but if lots of people start finding the same thing then we've cracked it!!! Lol. x

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
surley, if i can get a different reading by finger prick from left hand to right hand, then yes the Libre would be different depending which side?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
surley, if i can get a different reading by finger prick from left hand to right hand, then yes the Libre would be different depending which side?

Hi there, to be fair I can get different readings on the SAME hand via finger pricks. I'm sure the libre does give different readings depending on exactly where it is placed (in one spot) but is it lower on the left and if so, why I wonder. x

HomerSimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

This is absolutely true for me, but for the right arm. Last Monday, it was time to change my Libre and rotate to the new site (my right arm). It was giving me false hypos the whole time, so I removed it and used a new one. The same thing happened again. I wasted two sensors from my emergency supplies, because of this.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is absolutely true for me, but for the right arm. Last Monday, it was time to change my Libre and rotate to the new site (my right arm). It was giving me false hypos the whole time, so I removed it and used a new one. The same thing happened again. I wasted two sensors from my emergency supplies, because of this.
If you have glucose meter readings which show the sensors are more than 15% out of their accuracy range then Abbot will send you replacement sensors for free. Keep hold of them and contact the Abbot helpline if you have sensor accuracy queries.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Make sure you contact libre for a replacement!!!! They will send you an email asking for full details so keep the records of how low and whether you backed it up with finger pricks etc, keep the sensor too in case they want it returned. I have found them to be very good about (genuine) replacements.

Edited to add, same as UK T1 !!

Reactions: UK T1