Last low row

triumpht301

Partner is still reeling from last low, when I got very irritable and shouted. I can totally understand. It's my failing in not keeping an eye on levels. I'm generally very controlled (HbA1c 5.5%). I think she's struggling to understand how it affects behaviour, but it's not to pardon how I acted – all my doing. Do you guys have any advice on how I tackle this, improve, prevent, explain?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is short and simple but sums up hypos pretty well for me and may help your partner understand

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Partner is still reeling from last low, when I got very irritable and shouted. I can totally understand. It's my failing in not keeping an eye on levels. I'm generally very controlled (HbA1c 5.5%). I think she's struggling to understand how it affects behaviour, but it's not to pardon how I acted – all my doing. Do you guys have any advice on how I tackle this, improve, prevent, explain?
I am a type 1 and find it hugely irritating to be asked if I am going low and if I am actually low it is doubly so. I have discussed this with my husband so that we've got a system in which I request assistance (sweet stuff or test kit depending on the urgency) but he doesn't take over but rather allows me to handle it.
Prevention is important too and perhaps recognising that there's stress in keeping your sugars well controlled such that you get such a good hba1c. Work out what you could tweak eg. injection timing, basal bolus rate adjustment or eating more regular meals and tell her what you are trying and how she could help as its likely she will want to do so.
Obviously if you are not aware of going hypo that's a different issue but if you do have good awareness you are going to have to take yourself off somewhere for a time out. As you say, its not her issue but yours and its going to be nearly impossible for her to get it but she can help you by giving you time and space to sort it out by which time the heat might have gone out of the situation.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty passive. However, I have gone low in the past & just walked out in my courting years sometimes blowing a relationship.
More focused on treating the hypo & getting my brain back, than reassuring someone's "insecurities."

The closest thing I can think hypos are like with me in severity cognitive wise "dementia or Altzhiemmers?"
Oddly, my mum developed the latter & is pretty chilled out too.

I married now & have dropped at dinner parties yapping esoteric nonsense to my wife's boss.
I made the mistake of not walking away from that one..

Work out how you feel/thought processes when low. & open up to your partner on the subject.

I was in a band with a T1 bass player. Lovely guy but would get lairy when low?
He'd sheepishly apologise after.
We had our own code. "When the music sounds ****, hit the sweet packet."

Best wishes.

triumpht301

Guys, that is brilliant advice. I'm going to take all the thoughts and recommendations. Been putting off the 'forum' thing, but should have asked sooner. Thank you.

stayingalive

I am a type 1 and find it hugely irritating to be asked if I am going low and if I am actually low it is doubly so. I have discussed this with my husband so that we've got a system in which I request assistance (sweet stuff or test kit depending on the urgency) but he doesn't take over but rather allows me to handle it.
Prevention is important too and perhaps recognising that there's stress in keeping your sugars well controlled such that you get such a good hba1c. Work out what you could tweak eg. injection timing, basal bolus rate adjustment or eating more regular meals and tell her what you are trying and how she could help as its likely she will want to do so.
Obviously if you are not aware of going hypo that's a different issue but if you do have good awareness you are going to have to take yourself off somewhere for a time out. As you say, its not her issue but yours and its going to be nearly impossible for her to get it but she can help you by giving you time and space to sort it out by which time the heat might have gone out of the situation.

stayingalive

I also find I get irritable if my sugar is too high. When low, the only problem my partner has with me is if he's in the kitchen standing between me and the sweet stuff- not a good place to be! Equally when I feel I need to exercise/walk, and the meter tells me yes I really am running high sugar, I can be quite impolite about the need to get out NOW. I've taken to just growling "reasonable adjustment" and getting on with whatever is necessary. OK maybe he's just a saint, but I suspect he recognises he mostly likes me, and would rather I was alive and well, not the opposite.