Insulin hurts

Naughtyminx

Can I get some advice please Im caring for someone type 2 diabetes everytime I do his insulin pen twice day he says it hurts when I'm pushing it in his buttocks is this normal or should seek professional advice thanku

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I get some advice please Im caring for someone type 2 diabetes everytime I do his insulin pen twice day he says it hurts when I'm pushing it in his buttocks is this normal or should seek professional advice thanku
Hi @Naughtyminx , and welcome to the forum!
Your question would be better placed as a thread of its own so more people will see it!

To do so, go to 'Forums', choose the forum you want to post your question in, and click the green "Post new question' button on the top right.
It's explained in this video, although the lay-out of the forum has changed a bit.
Let me know if you have troubles figuring it out, happy to help :)

edit: This isn't relevant anymore now the question has been moved from another thread, but I'll leave it up because it may still be helpful :)

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Poor bloke, does he have to have it in his bum? Maybe you could try alternative sites. Also, are you changing the needle EVERY time you do an injection, a needle can become blunt otherwise and that hurts like hell. It's not normal for it to hurt, ie it's not something anyone just has to 'put up' with. Check the needle length as well, sometime a finer one helps. I find that if I rest the needle of the pen lightly on the skin (without pressing down forcefully) it sinks down into the flesh like butter and I barely feel it. To conclude, NO, it shouldn't hurt every single time. x

Naughtyminx

Hi @Naughtyminx , and welcome to the forum!
Your question would be better placed as a thread of its own so more people will see it!

To do so, go to 'Forums', choose the forum you want to post your question in, and click the green "Post new question' button on the top right.
It's explained in this video, although the lay-out of the forum has changed a bit.
Let me know if you have troubles figuring it out, happy to help :)

THA nku so much il try

Reactions: Antje77

Naughtyminx

Poor bloke, does he have to have it in his bum? Maybe you could try alternative sites. Also, are you changing the needle EVERY time you do an injection, a needle can become blunt otherwise and that hurts like hell. It's not normal for it to hurt, ie it's not something anyone just has to 'put up' with. Check the needle length as well, sometime a finer one helps. I find that if I rest the needle of the pen lightly on the skin (without pressing down forcefully) it sinks down into the flesh like butter and I barely feel it. To conclude, NO, it shouldn't hurt every single time. x
Oh OK that's great thanku the needles are 4mm and he had problems with heart and build up of fluid in stomach so cudnt do it there for long time so just started in the buttocks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What insulin is he using?
Insulin glargine (Lantus, abasaglar and Toujeo) is known for its stinging due to the PH-level.

Reactions: Bash_

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use toujeo and had no problem. I have found needles that are slightly bent which hurts also if I go In at a angle

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Lantus and it does sting occasionally, maybe once a week but I inject into my stomach.

Are you rotating injection sites as I find it stings more often in certain areas of my stomach.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I inject humulim and was told I can inject into stomach or thigh. Might be worth a try into the thigh

Reactions: Bash_

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I use Toujeo (and Novarapid occasionally) I only sting when another person does it. They cannot feel a sensitive area like I can best. Your own pressure speed is normally gentle. How many times have we rushed an injection and court ourselves out?
My advice is the more you inject another person and if they're being honest with you then experience helps everyone.
Health workers who do huge amounts of blood taking are usually the best. Doctors in training are expected to perfect it til they get it right. First time, as the patients often have his/her life depending on it.
Insulin is important but a little sting far outweighs the effects of not enough insulin.
I'm sure your patient is grateful @Naughtyminx :)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I’m on lantus twice a day 4mm needles I inject in the tops of my legs and I do have stinging now and again when pushing the insulin in.