Type 2 Advice for my South Asian mum

superpossible

Hi all! Hope you are doing well.

I hope you guys don't mind me posting here as a non-diabetic, however I wanted to get some advice on ways to support my mum, who is a type 2 diabetic. I'm 18 so I don't know loads about the condition so I thought I'd ask you all.

She has a history of gestational diabetes with baby 3, 4 and 5, and after baby 5, the diabetes did not go away.

In terms of weight, she is overweight; 5'4 and I believe around 75kg.

She does not check her blood sugar levels, but I believe she used to during her pregnancy.

Our South Asian diet means that there are a lot of carbs (chappatis, lentils, etc). I've read that a low-carb diet is recommended. I believe that's what her doctor told her too - ditch the biscuits, croissants, limit herself to one chappati, etc!

Is it recommended to buy those testing machines and test her blood sugar levels to get an idea of where she is each day? Otherwise she is only seeing the GP perhaps a few times a year; in fact, because of COVID she hasn't been since March! I'll remind her to book an appointment.

Will weight loss help a lot? I've told her that her weight is actually meant to be around mine! - mid 60kgs. She has a habit of snacking too :p Prior to lockdown, she used to go on daily walks, I think those helped a bit but her doctor said that they weren't enough.

I should also mention that she is on quite strong medication - empagliflozin - since the metformin was not sufficient. I would like for her to ideally not be taking this and try to bring her diabetes under control so she can return to metformin.

On the subject on weight loss again, how do you eat fewer calories while also making sure you don't, you know, faint from hunger?

Thank you for reading and sorry if any of my questions sounded a bit silly. You guys can probably tell that I'm quite keen on this, my mum less so haha so maybe we'll have to make small changes first.

Last edited:

stayingalive

I'm type one but in both cases exercise is a lot of the answer. Especially after eating. I have to monitor my blood sugar all the time because being type one and on insulin my blood sugar goes up and down a lot. So I know very well that if I eat carbs and then do a long walk (ideally with an up hill bit) my blood sugar remains stable. Low carb is good, but if that's too difficult, walking further after more carbs is good too. Indoor exercise is somehow not as good but I do have a kettlebell I swing around when the weather makes a long walk too horrible.
Loosing weight helps a lot but I am finding this difficult during lockdown - but your Mum may have better self control than I do!
Good luck to you both.

Reactions: superpossible

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at headbangerskitchen.com for ideas on breads. A traditional chapati is one to many.

Cauliflower rice is a better alternative to rice.

Bean sprouts are better than noodles. Also as a carrier for sauce, there are things like courgettes.

If you want an alternative food google it, just put keto first.