The smoking has to stop !!!!!

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
Been quite a while since I was on here - but I need some good advice and some loving tender care.
Around 2 months ago- I noticed my right foot was really cold and I had to wear extra socks, I thought it would get better- but it never did - so I went to the doctors today.
The doctor noticed that my left foot was around 140 & the cold foot was around 90 - so there certainly was a problem with the left foot - blood circulation.
I have been a smoker for 35 years and the doctor told me that I have to stop now, as this is serious ! - he checked my lungs and they were okay and my blood pressure was good.
He prescribed me some kind of aspirin to take to thin my blood & I have to go back in 2 months time.
I am still in shock and a little sad, as I have always been so healthy- I am now 61 years of age, diabetes 2 & now the smoking has to stop - it's going to be tough, but I have to do this or I will be in trouble.
I feel really down at the moment and can not believe all of this is happening - besides all of this, I feel fine- still working away as a tiler - which is a very hard job.
Has anyone else over here had some similar situation, I would love to hear from you.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Hi, I used to be an asthmatic smoker for about 20 years and I felt fine but I decided to give up at 40. On a good day I smoked around 60 and on a bad day a lot more :( I had no other underlining health issues at the time apart from the asthma. I had a lot of help with the GP smoking clinic, I had the free patches which did work although, I did become very grouchy on the final patches - don't think my body could cope with tiny patches so I stopped using them. The GP said I should not have stopped using them as I would be more likely to smoke again, well I didn't and that was nearly 14 years ago. So if I can do it you can, just make sure you get the support from your GP surgery.
I did pile a shed load of weight on but that was because of the lollipops :eek: I lost the weight and the lollipops at a later date!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Been quite a while since I was on here - but I need some good advice and some loving tender care.
Around 2 months ago- I noticed my right foot was really cold and I had to wear extra socks, I thought it would get better- but it never did - so I went to the doctors today.
The doctor noticed that my left foot was around 140 & the cold foot was around 90 - so there certainly was a problem with the left foot - blood circulation.
I have been a smoker for 35 years and the doctor told me that I have to stop now, as this is serious ! - he checked my lungs and they were okay and my blood pressure was good.
He prescribed me some kind of aspirin to take to thin my blood & I have to go back in 2 months time.
I am still in shock and a little sad, as I have always been so healthy- I am now 61 years of age, diabetes 2 & now the smoking has to stop - it's going to be tough, but I have to do this or I will be in trouble.
I feel really down at the moment and can not believe all of this is happening - besides all of this, I feel fine- still working away as a tiler - which is a very hard job.
Has anyone else over here had some similar situation, I would love to hear from you.

I stopped smoking 10 or 11 years ago, very hard the first week, but I wouldn't give in and haven't touched a cigarette, can't even stand the smell and as you have said the smoking needs to stop. So first of all, you have to want to stop, then use all your will power and determination to do it. Get in touch with your GP or local Stop Smoking centre to get help and above all, much needed support. At the end of the day, it's your body and you have to take care of it.
Try and change your cigarette habits, just take little steps, like going to bed earlier and I had sugar free polo's as back up, when it got bad. Wished I had never started smoking, but so proud of myself for giving up.
ps I redecorated my daughter's bedroom with the money I saved, new carpet as well :)

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I saved a fortune when I gave up and had driving lessons, eventually got my first second hand car..... I hate the smell of cigarettes now and my sense of smell is like a blood hound now!

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped smoking because I was frightened enough. Before that I thought I was indestructible.
I suspected there was something amiss before I found out for sure and I was in a similar situation that you are now, some different symptoms but some of the same smoking-related problems.
The point is you CAN do things to help.
Firstly, stop smoking. Then, eat well / look after your blood sugar levels, lose weight if necessary and exercise. It sounds like you're very active which is a great start.

I wrote about my problems, not for my benefit, but for friends or anybody else who may need information or a gee-up.
I've sent you a link via PM to the relevant bit of my web site.
(I have put the whole saga on here before so am reluctant to do it again.)

You can help yourself, that's the message.
PM me if you wish. Best of luck.

Reactions: Allan59

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I quit, for me, the first couple weeks were crazy hard. Especially mornings with coffee, or the after dinner smoke. Anyway, dig in and prepare for battle, tell everyone around you want to quit and it’s likely you’ll blow a cork. Don’t do the gum or patch, they just prolong the agony. Every week afterwards gets easier. Get it done!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
My Dad still smokes. He's 72 and has been smoking since he was 16. In the last two years he's had a stroke, lost the vision in one eye, had a heart attack, been diagnosed with atherosclerosis (fat plaques) had a stent put in and short-listed for a pacemaker. He won't go into hospital for a pacemaker because he says the nurses won't let him smoke.

This is darn near killing me as well as him, every phone call, every knock on the door - is he dead, is this the notification.

Please, please stop smoking. You're just beginning to have problems, please stop before they get worse. Get help, get support.

And well done for seeing the problem and deciding to do something. I just wish my Dad was as sensible.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that stopping smoking altogether is the best way to go but if not you may want to consider vaping as atleast its relatively less harmful and will give you the nicotine fix and throat kick that can aid with quitting eventually.

Like the joke goes... "Quitting smoking is the easiest thing. I do that everyday"

Best of luck eitherway.

Reactions: Allan59

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I didnt stop smoking, smoking stopped me. Heart attack at age 46,that was almost 32 years ago.

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
Thanks everyone for your input.
Well, this is my 5th day without a cigarette -it's been really tough, especially when I am at work.
I am a tiler and when I go out from the customers house to fix some thing, I always have a cigarette before I go back in.
I have managed not to do this - I know it's only the 5th day - but I am taking a day at a time.
So far so good !!!!

Reactions: Ozunablade

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Well done old bean and keep it going......tell your self "well I've managed 4 days then 5 then 6 "etc
I gave up about 20 years ago and used drugs to do so.
If you are doing it on willpower alone then you are a better man than I.
good luck
Tony

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for your input.
Well, this is my 5th day without a cigarette -it's been really tough, especially when I am at work.
I am a tiler and when I go out from the customers house to fix some thing, I always have a cigarette before I go back in.
I have managed not to do this - I know it's only the 5th day - but I am taking a day at a time.
So far so good !!!!
Try to find a different habit, walk 20 steps , drink some water, etc

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My T1 mother started smoking at university in the 50s when everyone smoked. Throughout my childhood and adult life I remember her frustration at her repeated attempts and failures to quit smoking. She finally quit cold turkey at the age of 70ish when her friendly DN told her that she'd be dead in less than a year if she continued. Less than a year later she was diagnosed as needing a quadruple heart bypass, which they would have refused to do had she not been off cigarettes for at least 6 months. In the end they did a double bypass (lungs too weak to do more) and she got another 8 quality years of life. I like to think she would still be alive today (OK, maybe a bit iffy as she's be 87) if she'd never smoked, but I'm quite sure that she would have been dead at 70 if she hadn't stopped when she did.

Stopping at 61 is way better than stopping at 70 and the longer you stay clean the more your body will recover. Unfortunately nicotine is way more damaging to diabetics than to non diabetics. Stay clean, stay safe. And whatever you do, don't have just one cigarette, or just half a cigarette, to stave off the cravings, it always ends badly (or at least it did my mum). Your body can recover if you give it a chance. Good luck, I know it's hard. You can do this.

Reactions: Tony337