New, panicking, and asking for advice please!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Btw I lost more than 30lbs by eating more calories, more fats especially saturated ones but significantly less carb over less than 6 months. And my cholesterol improved massively in every respect and I dropped to prediabetic levels. I am not unusual in this forum for this. Many did even better than me.

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Btw I lost more than 30lbs by eating more calories, more fats especially saturated ones but significantly less carb over less than 6 months. And my cholesterol improved massively in every respect and I dropped to prediabetic levels. I am not unusual in this forum for this. Many did even better than me.

It's incredible isn't it! Years of thinking the brown carbs were good for me and fats were bad. This is going to take a while! What level of carbs do you aim for in general? 40g feels very low! Thanks so much for taking the time. I really appreciate it.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be guided by your meter. We are all different in how much we can tolerate. Best for weight loss is as low as possible, under 20g, but it might be worth eating a variety 9f things initially and testing to see what raises your bg.
Be prepared that initially you body won't like not having the carbs and you may feel a it grotty, get cravings and blurry eyes, but it doesn't last long and you soon come out the other side

Reactions: becca59

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's incredible isn't it! Years of thinking the brown carbs were good for me and fats were bad. This is going to take a while! What level of carbs do you aim for in general? 40g feels very low! Thanks so much for taking the time. I really appreciate it.
I’m kind of all or nothing so I just went as low as I possibly could and maintain it. Others ease their way down a step at a time. Haven’t counted in a while as that sort of regime fails me every time. I’m like a toddler rebelling against rules. I believe always under 50g, mostly under 30g and sometimes go under 20g. It is a big mindset change but I honestly wouldn’t want most of what I’ve ditched now. Convenience is my main temptation more than the food itself since I adapted.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I did almost the same thing, and lost weight, and my BG numbers came down but my LDL numbers got worse.
I think it depends a lot on genetics and other individual characteristics.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. I aim for <20g/day but it's sometimes a little more. My carbs come from vegetables. No idea what the calorie intake is, don't need it and don't ever count, but I have never been hungry since going low-carb. Main thing is de-programming yourself from the "carb good, fruit good, fat bad" doctrine. Other people may not be helpful..... I have friends who are horrified at my meat and dairy eating and find it impossible to reconcile with my weight loss and BG in normal levels. Best wishes - if I can do it anyone can.

Reactions: SheilaCanning

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. I aim for <20g/day but it's sometimes a little more. My carbs come from vegetables. No idea what the calorie intake is, don't need it and don't ever count, but I have never been hungry since going low-carb. Main thing is de-programming yourself from the "carb good, fruit good, fat bad" doctrine. Other people may not be helpful..... I have friends who are horrified at my meat and dairy eating and find it impossible to reconcile with my weight loss and BG in normal levels. Best wishes - if I can do it anyone can.
I am finding it so hard to get my head around things I have long considered healthy - beetroot, onions etc - as carby and therefore not so healthy for me! Thank you for the good wishes and well done on your success!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am finding it so hard to get my head around things I have long considered healthy - beetroot, onions etc - as carby and therefore not so healthy for me! Thank you for the good wishes and well done on your success!
They aren’t the worst ones out there in moderation. Take a look at dietdoctor.com for some food lists/carb counts if you haven’t already.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do eat onions, beetroot not so much. Above ground veg is generally OK - it's the starchy root veg I don't eat along with fruit that isn't strawberry, raspberry or blueberries. Root veg are still some way behind bread/rice/pasta and sugar as things I avoid.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Beetroot is about 7 percent carbs - that isn't high for me.
I tend to use onion raw so only need a small amount.

Reactions: Freema

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After been diagnosed I originally was eating about 50g of carbs but now about 70 to 80g a day which is still moderately low carb but not keto.
Everyone is different on how they react to carbs .
11 months ago I went high fat low carb and lost over 2 stone in three months and dropped my HbA1c from 90 to 40 .
Our bodies use glucose for energy and if your not eating carbs which turn into glucose it will use up your body fat for energy.
It also helps with some exercise.
Tom Watson ex deputy leader of Labour Party lost about 7 stone in a year by going low carb after being diagnosed type 2 .

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well , I am on week 5 of Ozempic , still only 0.25 mg and feel full much sooner when I eat , I have lost 3 kg .. till now..doing almost the same as I usually do , I agree that it is crusual to eat as few carbs as one can manage, but I am really not good at eating low carb high fat, know a lot of it but my character is week.. lost 34 kg initially but have gained it all back, and till corona came I did exercise around 6 hours or more every week..which didn't prevent me from gaining all the time anyway, just saying eat as little carbs as you posiibly can try to make interesting foods LCHF , but if everything else fails Ozempic is not the worst choice is my point of view , but what I don't know is if one then need to be on Ozempic for the rest of ones life , that might be something to worry about. here is some newly printed results from Ozempic ; https://www.medpagetoday.com/primar...aERCPR3k3l_OfTKX3eywX0IG4LjgNqbJKoq5qpnmjFu3s

Last edited:

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After been diagnosed I originally was eating about 50g of carbs but now about 70 to 80g a day which is still moderately low carb but not keto.
Everyone is different on how they react to carbs .
11 months ago I went high fat low carb and lost over 2 stone in three months and dropped my HbA1c from 90 to 40 .
Our bodies use glucose for energy and if your not eating carbs which turn into glucose it will use up your body fat for energy.
It also helps with some exercise.
Tom Watson ex deputy leader of Labour Party lost about 7 stone in a year by going low carb after being diagnosed type 2 .
Crikey, well done on such a great success with lowering your levels and losing the weight. Good to hear 70 - 80 is still low carb. I managed to stick to 40 today and was very pleased with myself!
My brother mentioned Tom Watson to me - I must read up on him.

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well , I am on week 5 of Ozempic , still only 0.25 mg and fell full much sooner when I eat , I have lost 3 kg .. till now..doing almost the same as I usually do , I agree that it is crusual to eat as few carbs as one can manage, but I am really not good at eating low carb high fat, know a lot of it but my character is week.. lost 34 kg initially but have gained it all back, and till corona came I did exercise around 6 hours or more every week..which didn't prevent me from gaining all the time anyway, just saying eat as little carbs as you posiibly can try to make interesting foods LCHF , but if everything else fails Ozempic is not the worst choice is my point of view , but what I don't know is if one then need to be on Ozempic for the rest of ones life , that might be something to worry about. here is some newly printed results from Ozempic ; https://www.medpagetoday.com/primar...aERCPR3k3l_OfTKX3eywX0IG4LjgNqbJKoq5qpnmjFu3s
Thank you for the information. And good luck with your own struggles. Have you suffered any side effects from the ozempic?

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the information. And good luck with your own struggles. Have you suffered any side effects from the ozempic?

Thanks dear , about side effects ; well only one evening where I did vomit for 2 hours . 5 hours after my injection , I have read a fif in a facebook group to inject in my thigh instead of stomach , then the “hormon-like” medication will be released slower . Many don’t have any side effects , I do have a history of servere vomiting so I am a bit scared of doubling my dose which is the next step maybe in 2 weeks time .. But the injecting doesn’t hurt at all

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks dear , about side effects ; well only one evening where I did vomit for 2 hours . 5 hours after my injection , I have read a fif in a facebook group to inject in my thigh instead of stomach , then the “hormon-like” medication will be released slower . Many don’t have any side effects , I do have a history of servere vomiting so I am a bit scared of doubling my dose which is the next step maybe in 2 weeks time .. But the injecting doesn’t hurt at all
It sounds like it's not intolerable. I really hope the increase doesn't change things for you and that the benefits outweigh the side effects.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I'm another who lost weight by counting carbs not calories. I also put my blood sugar levels well within the normal range.

a link below that many find helpful.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

For me I've lost over 30 kg just doing low carb- I'm an all or nothing person too so have gone for less than 20 grams of arbs a day. Over the Christmas period had a bit of carb creep and my levels went up. Still in the normal range.l Other things also effect your levels like sickness, stress and sleep. Food is by far the easiest to control and regulate. A walk after a meal with carbs also helps.

Good luck and welcome.

SheilaCanning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I'm another who lost weight by counting carbs not calories. I also put my blood sugar levels well within the normal range.

a link below that many find helpful.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

For me I've lost over 30 kg just doing low carb- I'm an all or nothing person too so have gone for less than 20 grams of arbs a day. Over the Christmas period had a bit of carb creep and my levels went up. Still in the normal range.l Other things also effect your levels like sickness, stress and sleep. Food is by far the easiest to control and regulate. A walk after a meal with carbs also helps.

Good luck and welcome.

Thank you! And wowser, that's such a good weight loss! Well done on putting your sugar levels into a normal range. I'm finding this forum so helpful and inspiring. I have been unwell and am suffering from insomnia too which I think has contributed to my issues.

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to know. I figure if I can kickstart this sugar/weight drop and hang on for a few weeks then switch to low carb that should help. When you go low carb do you count calories still?

Well done for a blooming terrific result!
Don't wait. You will get an almost immediate change with Low Carb Healthy Fats. Its the best way. Look what it did for me and still hopefully improving.