Carbohydrate enjoyment

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't understand this Anticarb mentality, I love eating cereal, bread, pasta cakes and biscuits.
I've been type one for 57 years now and had my right toenail removed am 10 stone and love the fact that insulin allows me to do this.
Enjoy yourselves but control that diabetic monster.
Cheers all.

Reactions: EJTC and Maco

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love carbs too, the problem for me is that as a T2 I have too much insulin in my body already so adding more wouldn't help

Reactions: ert

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't understand this Anticarb mentality, I love eating cereal, bread, pasta cakes and biscuits.
I've been type one for 57 years now and had my right toenail removed am 10 stone and love the fact that insulin allows me to do this.
Cheers all.
I think it's because a large amount on these forums are T2 (as there are a lot more T2's than T1's in general) and are therefore insulin resistant, so carbs do causes issues.
Consequently any forums where there are all types are diabetes will tend to revolve around T2 just because there are more.

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love carbs too, the problem for me is that as a T2 I have too much insulin in my body already so adding more wouldn't help

Yeah type two is a lot more difficult in my opinion, sorry if this sounded offensive,
just a bit of a friendly rant.

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's because a large amount on these forums are T2 (as there are a lot more T2's than T1's in general) and are therefore insulin resistant, so carbs do causes issues.
Consequently any forums where there are all types are diabetes will tend to revolve around T2 just because there are more.
Yep totally understand this, not showing off but trying to be a little light-hearted about our type 1 and 2 pets.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb, I'm dancing, high carb, I'm dying.
Bit of a no brainer really.

Reactions: Evie-D

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I've been type one for 57 years now and had my right toenail removed am 10 stone and love a and love the fact insulin allows me to do this.
Cheers all.

I used to check my blood glucose at 06:30 every morning and then eat my cereal (cornflakes or hoops etc). I could drive to work within the 2 hour (driving) time limit for retesting and was happy that I was usually within range at this point. Then, I got a Libre and it showed that I was getting a massive glucose spike into the mid teens in that 2 hour period and coming back down to acceptable levels at the 2 hr mark.

Injecting more insulin just sends me hypo mid morning, injecting earlier before eating didn't have much affect. Slower burning carbs like porridge don't give me the spike and I know how to manage a breakfast croissant.

If you can do the carbs and get away with it then all well and good but we are all different.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers all.

Hi,

It's more a matter of understanding & accepting other ways of BG managment regarding a variety of D types.
Many of which are not prescribed insulin.

My personal view is I just can't be bothered to weigh up, test & bolus for the "cake" offered. So I choose not to eat it.
I'm not saying I won't have a biscuit if I'm dropping low though. ;)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Interesting. I do know of some T2 folk who have opted for insulin from diagnosis onwards. We are all different and fortunately we also have choice.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers all.
I'd rather control my carbs and avoid the issues insulin can cause, I am really fortunate (if you can say fortunate with a disease) that allows me to hopefully avoid that.

You are type 1, you can do things differently. It is good to get comfortable and in a place you are happy and it is true that the majority are type 2 so advice will err towards that and we all have to watch out for that

My dad was insulin managed type 2 eventually... Didn't go so well for him, so it's far from an ideal in my opinion

Reactions: Krystyna23040

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. I do know of some T2 folk who have opted for insulin from diagnosis onwards. We are all different and fortunately we also have choice.
I wasnt offered insulin. I dont know any type 2 who has been offered it as anything other than a last resort. I am in the UK.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasnt offered insulin. I dont know any type 2 who has been offered it as anything other than a last resort. I am in the UK.
My doctor's/nurses have done everything possible to avoid insulin prior to my changes. Put aside for now some issues with eatwell, they have prescribed combinations substantially more expensive than insulin so there seems a.definite push against it

Perhaps for some who are not diagnosed early enough they have gone so high they go straight on?

Risk of derailing thread so to bring back, but I think going straight on insulin to allow to keep eating carbs (obviously type 2) would be a mistake

Reactions: lucylocket61

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Many T2 have too much circulating insulin due to insulin resistance.
The trigger for the pancreas too produce more is high blood sugars.
So, low carb works because it doesn't spike your blood sugar high enough to keep producing more.
I sometimes refer to this is carb intolerant.

I have a condition that I over produce insulin that drives my blood sugar levels into Hypoglycaemia. I am non diabetic. My Hba1c and fasting levels are normal.
I am definitely carb intolerant.

Type two and type one are different conditions. As is mine to them.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers all.

I'm fairly attached to my eyes and toes so prefer to not eat carbs if at all possible.

Reactions: HSSS and Evie-D

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers all.

Hi Paul, the way I see it is that the insulin allows us to live first & foremost of course. It is (as we all know) a vital hormone and sometimes I cringe when I hear it described as a last resort or evil personified (I know of course that it is entirely different for a type 2 condition but sometimes no distinction is made and I worry that people are left thinking it's virtually poison in & of itself). Above and beyond that, I personally choose to eat whatever I want in a manner that will (hopefully) keep me healthy. To me that is a diet that does not include very many carbs from the items you mentioned (although I do like a slice of sourdough).Not because of any holier than thou attitude but because I know that cakes & biscuits ain't good for anyone. I tend to stick to a low carb diet, again, not necessarily because I have a vendetta against carbs but I prefer my carbs to come from veg (under or over ground), from the odd slice of decent bread, some beans and so on. I agree that IF I am out and want to indulge in a bowl of pasta, then I can and that is nice. x

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cringe when I hear it described as a last resort or evil personified (I know
I apologize if my previous post was insensitive. I was referring only to the way it has been described by the diabetic nurses I have heard about, to type 2 diabetics I know.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Personally, I love my keto diet. And not having to inject very much insulin. And being very active with it. And not having to deal with variability.

Reactions: Peppergirl

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Personally, I love my keto diet. And not having to inject very much insulin. And being very active with it. And not having to deal with variability.

I am less than 2 months into the wonderful world of managing T2 diabetes and I have to say I love anything with carbs but they most certainly do not love me!

The one thing I've picked up is everyone is different in this kaleidoscope of diabetes and food intake will affect us all differently.

I'm now choosing to put on blinkers walking past the bakers etc but if you can tolerate carbs and the damage is preventable, good on you!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I apologize if my previous post was insensitive. I was referring only to the way it has been described by the diabetic nurses I have heard about, to type 2 diabetics I know.

Oh Lucylocket, no, no, no. I was NOT referring to you at ALL, in any way possible. I value GREATLY your input on this site, you are clearly a person who shows sensitivity in all your posts & thank you for that. x