Diagnosed officially today. On metformin

DisneyGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negative people and negative outlooks.
Diabetes lol
Honestly had a panic attack in front of my DN as I have been dealing with panic attacks and on sertraline for a few years now.
I have a huge fear of doctors, hospitals and such to the point where it seems type 2 has gone un detected.

I'm on a low carb diet now.

Question, I live for Disney World, I go for 2 weeks every year. Will I not be able to eat anything sugary?

My hba1c was 99.

What food do you suggest for someone who doesn't like Fish and most vegs. I like the basics. But I'm picky.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly had a panic attack in front of my DN as I have been dealing with panic attacks and on sertraline for a few years now.
I have a huge fear of doctors, hospitals and such to the point where it seems type 2 has gone un detected.

Question, I live for Disney World, I go for 2 weeks every year. Will I not be able to eat anything sugary?

My hba1c was 99.

What food do you suggest for someone who doesn't like Fish and most vegs. I like the basics. But I'm picky.

welcome here Disney Guy
Low Carb High Fat ...... there are a lot of different delicious foods you can still eat , but not really the sugar-kinds, it takes some time to learn all the fine foods one can make and which one can still eat a lot of... but if you like meat and eggs and nuts you can still eat a lot from these kinds , you may get a lot of ideas from this link too ; https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

Bash_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?posts/2365059

Hi Disney.

Many things that contain gluten are high in carbs I.e. burgers but the good news and there's lots, if for example you buy gluten free foods you'll be eating better food and less carbs. Meat, vegetables, cheese, pickled onions (spirit vinegar) are all free so fill your boots. Hope this helps. B

Sheppie66

I've recently been diagnosed as well (3weeks ago) my hbac was 55. Since then I went onto an ULC diet. I recently got a blood sugar monitor, my fasting readings are between 4.7 and 5.2 mmol and between 5.7 and 6.2 after eating. Not sure what that means, would also appreciate some advice.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DisneyGuy
The best way to avoid doctors and hospitals is to take charge of your own health and eating. Once you've started low carb and started losing some weight you'll find your appetite and tastes change so don't worry about Disney World or anything else in the future, just concentrate on today, everyday

Reactions: Bash_ and ziggy_w

DisneyGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negative people and negative outlooks.
Diabetes lol
Peas, carrots, green beans, broccoli.

PiersAaron

If was in your exact stuation, I would be focusing on intermittent fasting ("IF") and low carb high fat. ("LCHF").

For me IF coupled with LCHF on vacation would probably look like the following:

Decaf coffee black (or with just a tiny hit of almond milk or heavy cream). Skipping breakfast other than coffee as part of IF.

Lunch would likely be a Cobb salad or chef salad with real EVOO and vinegar (or lemon juice).

Dinner moderate steak, or burger, with no bread or bun. I would probably choose creamed spinach for a veggie. Desert would be strawberries with stevia and cream (likely prepared back at the hotel)..

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows

My hba1c was 99.

I'm relatively new to the diabetes world - 2 months - so understand your shock. It's quite the eye opener isn't it?

I'm not a picky eater and don't have a sweet tooth at all, but love all the carby things which I have already consigned to the dustbin. There is no option really if you want to be healthy.

Your HbA1c is high so the processed sugar and high carb items that are the staples of the food outlets in places like Disney are pretty much a no-no - but as others far more experienced than me have said, there's tons of great foods which are fun too. Check out the food and recipes on the various topics and threads...There's ideas a plenty - some of which are very tasty indeed.

This forum is brilliant - and we're all on the same journey in a mutual support kinda way!

All the best.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LOL how about the giant turkey leg instead?

Otherwise yeah, low carb and higher fat is the way to go. No more sugar. But you will stop craving carbs after a relatively short time and start to feel really good.

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've recently been diagnosed as well (3weeks ago) my hbac was 55. Since then I went onto an ULC diet. I recently got a blood sugar monitor, my fasting readings are between 4.7 and 5.2 mmol and between 5.7 and 6.2 after eating. Not sure what that means, would also appreciate some advice.

Means you are doing exactly the right things - these are nice numbers :D

Reactions: Bash_

andi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel your pain, I love Disney and I've been many times. I think one treat a day (as long as it's accompanied by 15,000 steps and maybe a swim in the pool) is my way to do it. It's not ideal but it's my holiday and I want to enjoy it. It's so much better than my days of eating all the treats and going for cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory to boot!