Newly diagnosed since contracting COVID 19 anyone else?

Pontylad

Hi all had a thorough eye test at the end of November and given a clean bill of health. Middle of December contracted Coronavirus and my weight started dropping off and I was drinking a hell of a lot of fluids....lost 2 stone in about a month-brilliant I thought but obviously something wasn’t right! (Dropped from 18 and a half stone to 16 and a half stone)
Organised a doctors appointment to get my bloods tested and also took along a urine sample. Nurse took my blood and said phone up in 2 weeks for your results but I kept on to test my urine as she was reluctant to do so as she said the blood would be more accurate. 5 minutes later I was presented with a blood glucose kit and a consultation with the doctor for diabetes!
So lucky I kept on as my fasting bloods were in the high 20s.....I was to take Gliclazide and Metformin.
I have been on this mix along with a statin for my cholesterol. But due to chronic stomach pain stopped the metformin.
After about 5 days my stomach is a million times better and have been given the prolonged released Glucophage (metformin) to try. I’m thinking of dropping the Gliclazide due to other side effects (40mg) and just trying the XR release metformin.
My bloods are now between 5-7 most of the time.
I’m a normal fit healthy big built gym fit guy who walks and cycles regularly to keep fit.
Anyone else have diabetes since COVID 19?
I’m hoping it will go as quick as it came....
Regards,
Simon

Reactions: BRSBRI

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What an unpleasant experience! Glad you got the diagnosis you needed, and are now getting the treatment you need.

I think that diabetes triggered by covid is something that no one, least of all the health care professionals, understand properly yet, even though it has received a fair bit of media coverage. And I also think that there must be a lot more people out there who are getting diagnoses of diabetes after contracting covid, but their doc isn't necessarily connecting the two.

Please stick around and let us know what happens, because while it is usually accepted that once you have a D diagnosis, you will always be somewhere on the diabetic spectrum (even if you manage to reverse it through lifestyle changes), I am not sure that anyone can make that assumption in your circumstances. It is just too early for all the data to be in yet.

Reactions: Pontylad

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but diabetes won’t go away. If you are type 2 you can do a lot to mitigate the effects and avoid long term problems but it’s something that will always be there. With a low carb diet you might get off your meds and go into ‘remission’ but your diabetes won’t be cured.

To answer your main question - Yes I had covid in March & diagnosed diabetic in June confirmed type 1 in January. You might want to ask the dr to order a c-peptide to confirm a T2 or T1 diagnosis. It appears as your being treated as T2 but it’s worth checking especially if they think covid was involved.

Good luck & welcome to the forum

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been T2 for 9 years. I had Covid19 in March. Since then my BGs have been more difficult to control. I had Long Covid for about 10 months. I am thinking now that maybe, just maybe, I am well again. In the last month my BGs have returned to what they were pre covid. So yes, maybe there's a chance that yours will do the same. Time will tell, let us know how things work out and...welcome to the forum.:)

Edit: I agree a c-peptide test would be a good idea.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You did well to push them to do something when you were at the doctor's. If you know something is wrong, it's the right thing to do, as it's your health and your future at stake. Now you have the means to test your blood, you can keep an eye on what's going on. I would agree that after this episode, it is probable that you are going to have to live with diabetes of some sort, but if you are careful, this can have a lot less impact on your life. It's by no means certain, at this point, quite what type of diabetes you have.
You are clearly not stupid if you can get yourself dignosed by providing a urine sample at your first appointment, so if you are concerned about how you are doing you know you can ring alarm bells and show them your testing records. I think we all wish our problem would just disappear, but things like that rarely happen.
Wishing you a happy healthy life, however things turn out.

Sugarlisa

Hi all had a thorough eye test at the end of November and given a clean bill of health. Middle of December contracted Coronavirus and my weight started dropping off and I was drinking a hell of a lot of fluids....lost 2 stone in about a month-brilliant I thought but obviously something wasn’t right! (Dropped from 18 and a half stone to 16 and a half stone)
Organised a doctors appointment to get my bloods tested and also took along a urine sample. Nurse took my blood and said phone up in 2 weeks for your results but I kept on to test my urine as she was reluctant to do so as she said the blood would be more accurate. 5 minutes later I was presented with a blood glucose kit and a consultation with the doctor for diabetes!
So lucky I kept on as my fasting bloods were in the high 20s.....I was to take Gliclazide and Metformin.
I have been on this mix along with a statin for my cholesterol. But due to chronic stomach pain stopped the metformin.
After about 5 days my stomach is a million times better and have been given the prolonged released Glucophage (metformin) to try. I’m thinking of dropping the Gliclazide due to other side effects (40mg) and just trying the XR release metformin.
My bloods are now between 5-7 most of the time.
I’m a normal fit healthy big built gym fit guy who walks and cycles regularly to keep fit.
Anyone else have diabetes since COVID 19?
I’m hoping it will go as quick as it came....
Regards,
Simon

Got Covid pneumonia on November last year and was hospitalised for 14 days and then Covid diabetes with it and then given a extra blood test as was told I was diagnosed type 2 and given metformin 500mg twice a day so next week I have my first eye screening test for diabetes and blood test so I will see how I go on

Pontylad

Got Covid pneumonia on November last year and was hospitalised for 14 days and then Covid diabetes with it and then given a extra blood test as was told I was diagnosed type 2 and given metformin 500mg twice a day so next week I have my first eye screening test for diabetes and blood test so I will see how I go on
Yes I’m also scheduled for an eye test end of this month

Sophieg

I had COVID at end of October and was still suffering with tiredness and shortness of breath so had blood test and chest X-ray last week and my blood sugar came up high in the blood test got to have another test in a few weeks to confirm the diagnosis but was high risk of developing diabetes anyway as I am overweight and have pcos which has also got worse since I have had COVID. Before covid I was overweight and not loosing it however much I tried but I was active going to the gym when aloud and jogging but since covid I have not managed exercise I even find walking hard though I am trying.