Whiskey on Keto

Laconic

Pure alcohol contains no carbs as far as I understand, but some brands such as Jack Daniels say they are mellowed, by sugar maple, so are they really zero carbs. I tend to prefer The Famous Grouse, always straight with no mixer, just wanted to know which brand really is most Keto friendly?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. The JD process with the sugar maple involves how the whiskey is flavoured by being filtered through charcoal. The charcoal is prepared from burnt sugar maple wood but I would guess there's little carbohydrate in the wood to begin with and even if so nothing left after the wood has been burnt. I've found that spirits are, as claimed, zero carb - or at least they don't shift my BG at all. The problem is the things that people mix with them. Example: I'm fond of negronis - while the gin is fine the campari and vermouth (not to mention the orange slice) are not, so negronis are an infrequent treat. Neat whiskey, on the other hand...

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not throwing shade but surely you'd have to down rather a lot to consume more than a few carbs! :)

PiersAaron

Since starting keto, my ability to imbibe has been severely affected. Currently at 240lbs and one shot (usually whisky ir scotch whisky) now makes me so inebriated that I get woozy and can't walk straight. As a result when I am going to drink with friends then I will gave one-half ("1/2") of a shot of hard liquor.

A couple of times I have had half a beer (IOW 6 oz.) which I still tolerate fine. But I am reluctant to drink beer due to it's relatively high carb count. Everyone is different and thus your results may vary.