New Scientist article on LCHF

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems there's a piece on recent LCHF research in the recent New Scientist - unfortunately it's behind a paywall, and I'm not about to take out a subscription. The 100 or so words I've seen are a bit gee-whiz journalist rubbish (eg "fad diets") but I'd really like to see what it says. Anyone got it or know where it can be read? I might even have to read an old-fashioned print copy.

Dark Horse

It may be available online via your library and the rbdigital app if you're in the UK. I've read it and found it very superficial.

Reactions: stamullen

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems there's a piece on recent LCHF research in the recent New Scientist - unfortunately it's behind a paywall, and I'm not about to take out a subscription. The 100 or so words I've seen are a bit gee-whiz journalist rubbish (eg "fad diets") but I'd really like to see what it says. Anyone got it or know where it can be read? I might even have to read an old-fashioned print copy.
The Biography bit on the author is:-
"Clare Wilson reports on medicine, health policy, archaeology and the life sciences. She previously edited medical features for New Scientist, and was a news reporter for Hospital Doctor, a medical magazine. She has a BSc in Cell Biology."

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New Scientist used to be a fairly reliable source of information, like The Lancet. It has been taken over by Elsevier, and those of us with experience of this publications house recognise that they now have an editorial bias that is not necessarily conducive to the truth or true science. They seem to have lost their direction in favour of a more popular pathway, presumably to pay the bills.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
New Scientist used to be a fairly reliable source of information, like The Lancet. It has been taken over by Elsevier, and those of us with experience of this publications house recognise that they now have an editorial bias that is not necessarily conducive to the truth or true science. They seem to have lost their direction in favour of a more popular pathway, presumably to pay the bills.
Thank you, you've confirmed what I suspected might be the case. Money corrupts.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As my granny used to say, it's not the money, but the love of money, that corrupts.
Your granny adopted the Biblical approach, very commendable. However I have lost count of the number of once respectable publications that have followed New Scientist and the Lancet (and Which?, for that matter) into the darkness. I excuse newspapers, which were never respectable in the first place.

ColinTudhope

Your granny adopted the Biblical approach, very commendable. However I have lost count of the number of once respectable publications that have followed New Scientist and the Lancet (and Which?, for that matter) into the darkness. I excuse newspapers, which were never respectable in the first place.

Fair comment
Cheers

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just picked up on this, very interesting! I have read the New Scientist off and on since the sixties, more regularly in the last few years. I had held the magazine in high regard, until about a year or so ago, when they reproduced the Eat Lancet (?) report without any criticism and trashing a reply from an advocate of a more meat based diet.
That report and several since has showed a bias in their reporting of diets that has destroyed any trust that I had in their journalism to be objective.
A sad day, and I no longer feel I can have any reliable source for truth from any source. The main stream media is just a joke these days.

Reactions: Oldvatr