To poop or not to poop

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Basically as the above title says, so is Califig sugar free better or Fybogel. DN seems to think its okay to to take Fybogel - help a couple of times a week. Being on the LCHF is having a bit of an effect in that dept :grumpy:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Basically as the above title says, so is Califig sugar free better or Fybogel. DN seems to think its okay to to take Fybogel - help a couple of times a week. Being on the LCHF is having a bit of an effect in that dept :grumpy:
I had a tendency to constipation when I first went low carb, I just used Senna tablets for the occasional problematic days, whilst increasing seeds in my diet to add fibre without excessive carbs. Look out for recipes for low carb granola or sprinkle ground flax seed on your food

Reactions: BRSBRI

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I had a tendency to constipation when I first went low carb, I just used Senna tablets for the occasional problematic days, whilst increasing seeds in my diet to add fibre without excessive carbs. Look out for recipes for low carb granola or sprinkle ground flax seed on your food

Thanks, I do sprinkle chia seeds and linseed but its not working - or I am just not due to go if you know what I mean

SarahEN

Thanks, I do sprinkle chia seeds and linseed but its not working - or I am just not due to go if you know what I mean
Try soaking the chia seeds & drinking a bunch more water when you eat them otherwise they can have the opposite effect! Chia seeds expand when in contact with moisture, which is fine if it happens in a bowl - in fact it's a great hydrator on that case - but less fine if it happens in your intensitinal tract.

Also, inulin powder is a decent top up fibre source, low calorie, low carb, no sugar & some evidence it lowers blood glucose levels too. A teaspoon in your coffee or in water & it doesn't change the taste of anything. But maybe start with 5g to see how you go on as it can be extremely effective!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried them all and nothing has worked for me, so it is a packet of Laxido about 5 times a week.

About six weeks ago I tried reducing.... the response was pretty awful, in fact one of the worse experiences of my life...after 5 days without a dump x2 two packets finally at 03:45 in the morning it arrived....
Really not going back there again.
Discussed with GP, did a poop sitch investigation, nothing to be concerned about and though further investigations could be arranged, now is probably not the best time! Keep taking the powders...
I do.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can you tell us about what sort of foods you are eating please?
Hi I eat goats yogurt with a small sprinkle of chia linseeds. Loads of green salads, spinach, occasional tomatoes ( they spike my bg), Black Farm sausages, bacon with the fat, asparagus generally cooked in a garlic butter. Lots of water - very rarely have tea with goats milk as it spikes me so I have it black as well as herbal teas and lemon water. Eggs fried, boiled any which way I can., avocado, sardines in olive oil and salmon with melted butter. I have an apple but not too oftern and about 6 frozen blue berries - I have been eating wallnuts as almonds bung me up! Chicken I eat mainly but steak or pork after workouts otherwise I get too hungry and want to eat like a horse.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just use a teaspoon of psyllium powder in water, I believe it’s the same stuff as fybogel only without the branding and whatever else they put in there to improve the experience. The texture is nasty, but it’s quickly chugged down so no biggie. I understand that psyllium increases the amount of water held in the stool, increasing bulk and prompting the bowel naturally to do its thing, rather than a laxative that chemically stimulates bowel contractions and can ultimately make the bowel ‘lazy’.

But I could be wrong, of course!

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've tried them all and nothing has worked for me, so it is a packet of Laxido about 5 times a week.

About six weeks ago I tried reducing.... the response was pretty awful, in fact one of the worse experiences of my life...after 5 days without a dump x2 two packets finally at 03:45 in the morning it arrived....
Really not going back there again.
Discussed with GP, did a poop sitch investigation, nothing to be concerned about and though further investigations could be arranged, now is probably not the best time! Keep taking the powders...
I do.
Laxido worked when I lost weight before and had the same issue, but I could not stand the taste! Usually lemon water first thing in the morning works but I have been bunged up for two days, or its just that my body is not churning out the horrid carbs that I used to eat and now its normal that its not that often - if you know what I mean.

Reactions: hankjam

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Try soaking the chia seeds & drinking a bunch more water when you eat them otherwise they can have the opposite effect! Chia seeds expand when in contact with moisture, which is fine if it happens in a bowl - in fact it's a great hydrator on that case - but less fine if it happens in your intensitinal tract.

Also, inulin powder is a decent top up fibre source, low calorie, low carb, no sugar & some evidence it lowers blood glucose levels too. A teaspoon in your coffee or in water & it doesn't change the taste of anything. But maybe start with 5g to see how you go on as it can be extremely effective!

Oh that sounds bliss I will try any to be honest - my husband laughs and says "he always thought I was full of ...."! At least I can laugh about it, it could be all the pork I have been eating recently.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Where is the best place to get the inulin powder? :arghh:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Psyllium works for me also. Before I started taking it the constipation was a real nightmare.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat loads of green veg with melted butter on. I love green veg, so its no hardship for me. I have 1 slice of bread a day too, homemade out of stoneground wholewheat flour. I dont need anything to keep me going. Sometimes extra fats are good for keeping this soft and slippery on their way out (TMI?) So upping your fats may also be good.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Laxido worked when I lost weight before and had the same issue, but I could not stand the taste! Usually lemon water first thing in the morning works but I have been bunged up for two days, or its just that my body is not churning out the horrid carbs that I used to eat and now its normal that its not that often - if you know what I mean.
Are you adding salt to your food too?
Sometimes that can be missing and can help the problem.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Are you adding salt to your food too?
Sometimes that can be missing and can help the problem.
No because I have high blood pressure and thought it would add more problems. Would there not be enough salt in the butter and other food sources that I eat...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No because I have high blood pressure and thought it would add more problems. Would there not be enough salt in the butter and other food sources that I eat...

If you are cooking everything from fresh then no probably not.

I think the old "salt causes hypertension" is another of the myths that needs putting out to grass.. as always its excess carbs.

Edit to add my BP dropped when I went ultra low carb and lost lots of weight..

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you, I will try anything at the moment. When I weigh myself because I am bunged the scales stay at the same point, yet after I have been the dials move :)

Reactions: Carol1957

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you are cooking everything from fresh then no probably not.

I think the old "salt causes hypertension" is another of the myths that needs putting out to grass.. as always its excess carbs.

Edit to add my BP dropped when I went ultra low carb and lost lots of weight..
mmmm thats very interesting - neither myself or other half cook with salt. I used to use low salt and gave that up also when I was diagnosed with high BP. I still don't think I should be on the tablets to be honest, I have super white coat syndrome and anxieties that make it worse. I have been determined to get off the BP tablets since I have been on them, and really hope to be off them once I get to my ideal weight - I am getting there.... I am 11.8 now - but full of poop :depressed:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mmmm thats very interesting - neither myself or other half cook with salt. I used to use low salt and gave that up also when I was diagnosed with high BP. I still don't think I should be on the tablets to be honest, I have super white coat syndrome and anxieties that make it worse. I have been determined to get off the BP tablets since I have been on them, and really hope to be off them once I get to my ideal weight - I am getting there.... I am 11.8 now - but full of poop :depressed:
Get yourself a home BP monitor (they aren't too expensive) and take your own measurements at home. If you are low carbing and feel a bit dizzy then I''d suggest reducing the BP meds if you are still taking them. The last thing you want is to fall over due to low BP.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Get yourself a home BP monitor (they aren't too expensive) and take your own measurements at home. If you are low carbing and feel a bit dizzy then I''d suggest reducing the BP meds if you are still taking them. The last thing you want is to fall over due to low BP.
I have been really headachy but just put it down to cheese and my glasses not being right