Type 1 covid vaccine.

Cupcake29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else with type 1 had their covid vaccine yet? I'm yet to receive an invite to have mine done.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I will have mine on Thursday (I'm group 6). Quite a few members have shared experience on the Type 1 sub forum. My GP practice has started inviting group 6 (age 60-64 plus any over 16 with vulnerability) from this week but did say they are starting with the oldest patients first, and group 6 is by far their biggest cohort of all the 9 groups so will take some time to catch up with everyone in this group. But approach will vary considerably across different practices.

Reactions: Cupcake29

Cupcake29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok. So just abit of a waiting game really. My gp surgery are not the best so I wasnt sure if I had been forgotten which wouldn't surprise me or if like you say group 6 will take much longer to get around to everyone. Thanks for messaging :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok. So just abit of a waiting game really. My gp surgery are not the best so I wasnt sure if I had been forgotten which wouldn't surprise me or if like you say group 6 will take much longer to get around to everyone. Thanks for messaging :)

It probably may also depend on your area and how many of each group they have, my doctors is normally very good and I haven't heard yet either so yeah just need to wait.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’m in Scotland I’m 58 not had mine yet I can wait not really fussed on having it but going to have to , to lead any sort of “” normal” life

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it'll still be a while for some of us. I know that a GP surgery a couple of miles from me have started contacting group 6 patients so I hope it won't be too long, but there are a lot of people in group 5 and group 6 to get through. The earlier groups will be needing their second doses as well.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else with type 1 had their covid vaccine yet? I'm yet to receive an invite to have mine done.

According to the news conference tonight, you will get an invite shortly. Most of the vulnerable are to be done via the Gp with the 65-69s at the larger centres. As the vulnerable are by far the biggest group it will not happen overnight. Partha Kar has said all diabetics whatever your type will be in group 6.

Cupcake29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
According to the news conference tonight, you will get an invite shortly. Most of the vulnerable are to be done via the Gp with the 65-69s at the larger centres. As the vulnerable are by far the biggest group it will not happen overnight. Partha Kar has said all diabetics whatever your type will be in group 6.
Ok that's good to know. Thankyou.

Cupcake29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it'll still be a while for some of us. I know that a GP surgery a couple of miles from me have started contacting group 6 patients so I hope it won't be too long, but there are a lot of people in group 5 and group 6 to get through. The earlier groups will be needing their second doses as well.
Yeah I can imagine they still have alot to get through.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
67yo type 1 here. I got a lertter from NHS Scotland on Friday letting me know I'd an appointment Monday 15th at a hub in the city centre. It was all done and dusted by 11am. I know for most here they are still working on folks 70yo and older so I think perhaps the GP's surgery got me taken earlier because of the diabetes. Bill

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My area is flying through the priority groups. I’m getting vaccinated on Wednesday but I have a couple of risk factors so not sure if that sped things up. Having said that my mum hasn’t had hers & is in the group above with MS

DCop

I’m LADA. Had the vaccine yesterday. I thought I’d got away without side effects, but 8 hours after I got headache, tiredness, shivers, sweating, painful joints, dizziness and general flu-like symptoms. These have lasted for over 12 hours and I felt so bad at one point I almost called 111. Beginning to resolve now but not very nice. But looking forward to second jab. “Short-term pain for long-term gain”.

Checked my blood sugars and they were pretty high throughout the night (9s instead of usual 6-7), but not alarmingly so.

Last edited:

Nessa-Jean

Type 1, 48, Greater London, with multiple autoimmunities. I got a text message from my GP surgery last week and had the vaccine on Sunday.
Was all quite well organised imo

Unfortunately I seem to be getting most of the side effects, feeling quite ill..my blood sugars elevated within an hour or so and I haven’t been able to regulate them since..am sitting on 12-15mmol despite increased basal (insulin pump) and increased bolusing for meals. Had shivering/temperature, fatigue, strong headache, slight nausea (probably the raised bsl) and an overall feeling of blah. Appetite also low.
I have no regrets in getting the vaccine, I feel it essential..I hope to be feeling better in a day or so.

Hopefully it won’t be long for yours xo

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing yet from my neck of the woods (West Midlands) but hopefully it will be soon. Currently arguing the toss with work about a return to 'normal'.