What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you get the Aldi nut bar recently? - I thought they had stopped doing them - I tried to get them about a month ago and couldn't they said they thought they had stopped doing them

Yes, I buy them most weeks from Aldi

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Breakfast
Cup of tea no milk, chicken breast
Lunch
Grilled salmon with spinach
Green tea

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Max68

No breakfast or lunch again today bar coffee. Tonight, once again due to use by dates, I will be finishing off the salad with the last two chicken legs and cold sausages with maybe the pack of smoked salmon. Strawbs as dessert and maybe a couple of squares of Lindt. Four days now without a bag of crinkle crisps and I can imagine it must be easier coming off drugs!! :banghead: By the way does anyone know if it matters if you take metformin before of after a meal? When my HBA1c was ok I took it after but forgot once or twice. Last six months I take it before and the HBA1c has gone haywire. Doesn't make any difference I suspect but thought I'd ask.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

TMAD today. Lunch was part of an uneven pork belly joint delivered by Waitrose chopped into pieces, coated in salt and chilli oil and air fried.

Dinner - got creative in the kitchen. Had a load of lamb leftover from the weekend and didn’t fancy a cold meal. A bit of Googling later and I turned it into (almost) carnivore shepherd’s pie. Used my mini-chopper to blitz the lamb, sautéed some onions in butter and added some lamb stock. That formed the base. The topping was blitzed Awfully Posh pork crackling mixed with grated cheese (mixed cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan). Baked in the oven. Pretty good and enough mixture left to make a couple of burgers for tomorrow.

Pre-baking, post-baking and plated up in the pics! And tomorrow’s burgers.

Attachments

• DECBEFA4-178B-420B-BAA9-B805D35E5E0E.jpeg
    DECBEFA4-178B-420B-BAA9-B805D35E5E0E.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 124
  • FF1E66F7-B159-49A5-8D03-311614F13715.jpeg
    FF1E66F7-B159-49A5-8D03-311614F13715.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 3FEEBCB6-7F71-499D-8A31-30A5E055EDFC.jpeg
    3FEEBCB6-7F71-499D-8A31-30A5E055EDFC.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 4D8564F3-8884-4485-8C87-E8560BF00B6F.jpeg
    4D8564F3-8884-4485-8C87-E8560BF00B6F.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 123

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice @Goonergal looks very tasty

L: tuna melts... about 6 small ones.! omg, my first time with these and they are way too tasty . Some cold, some reheated in microwave. Final piece of chilli choc cake with final spoon of berries and yoghurt chia mix.

D: sausage casserole. Did carby pancakes for boys so rewarded myself with 3 sqs Montezumas hemp and sea salt smothered in cream with half a teaspoon almond butter. Really don't like it plain.
Is this me, the real me, saying there's a chocolate I don't like?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal wow looks amazing
@Max68 ive not needed metformin at all for past three years since I went keto low carb. Think metformin has only a small impact on the bgs well it did for me. Re when you take it think I used to take at start of the meal to make sure with food as metformin gave me tummy problems despite stoically taking for two years thinking it would help me. For me eating lc and stress management brought mine down not metformin but it’s individual
@Lainie71 your menu today must be making you hungry? I need more fat to fill me up - are you trying to lose weight by cutting not only your carbs but also fat? I lost almost 5 stone by eating keto and enough fat with my protein to keep my hunger at bay.
Today had two lc food deliveries - a huge chunk of CornishCheese and also rolls and bread from seriously low carb. My quick early tasting of said cheese meant today was a 16/8 rather than 18/6 but really enjoyed my treats today
Breakfast nibble of cheese then two boiled eggs and one slice of hm lc bread
Lunch one slice of hm lc bread as open sandwich with smoked trout and more of the cheese
Mid pm OH had pancakes so treated myself to a DGF lc brownie
Dinner Cajun chicken with salads and soda water with bitters followed by two lc hm chocolate truffles with weak black coffee.
Arm still mildly sore after my jab yesterday teatime but otherwise feeling really well and so pleased as I’m a carer of my autistic son and elderly mum, that I will hopefully be protecting them too,

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The days just move on somehow despite the restrictions! yesterday and today had usual slice of HiLo toast cooled, thick butter, copious tea.
Lunch yesterday was two thin slices roast beef with a dab of horseradish mustard and a spoon of coleslaw. Today was the same but accompanied by a mug of h/m leek, celery & broccoli soup. Supper yesterday was mini meatballs in chilli tom sauce and broccoli (for a change!). Tonight will be tomato and mushroom omelette.
I think tomo could well be a small lamb chop from freezer with roasted Med veg.
Waiting patiently to hear about my vacc now though until we both have both it wont mean any safety.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The days just move on somehow despite the restrictions! yesterday and today had usual slice of HiLo toast cooled, thick butter, copious tea.
Lunch yesterday was two thin slices roast beef with a dab of horseradish mustard and a spoon of coleslaw. Today was the same but accompanied by a mug of h/m leek, celery & broccoli soup. Supper yesterday was mini meatballs in chilli tom sauce and broccoli (for a change!). Tonight will be tomato and mushroom omelette.
I think tomo could well be a small lamb chop from freezer with roasted Med veg.
Waiting patiently to hear about my vacc now though until we both have both it wont mean any safety.
Hope you hear soon I’m 65 and OH 67 so both in current target group hopefully you won’t have to wait long now.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I’ve had a very physical day - lots of heavy lifting; wooden pallets, 4st bags of spuds etc. It’s made me hungry but, depressingly, BG hasn’t dropped under 6 all day.
Black Coffee for breakfast.
Mid morning bag of Cheesies
Packed lunch at work: SLC roll filled with roast beef, Mayo, mustard and lettuce. Then a small (15g) bar Divine 70% chocolate
Dinner: fresh cod fillet based on https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-garam-masala with cabbage noodles. A bit of Red Leicester cheese and a glass of wine
@Max68 I came off metformin a couple of years ago but I remember it needs to be taken with food. Have you been taking it a long time before you eat? As @shelley262 says, I think it’s more to do with digestive upsets than the effect on BG/HbA1c.
@Goonergal the Shepherd’s pie looks wonderful.
@MrsA2 tuna melts are so good aren’t they? But they are very more-ish!
Fingers crossed for Vax soon @PenguinMum. The chap I work closely with wasn’t in today as he’s been up all night coughing! He’s gone for a Covid test today ( We share an office and we spent yesterday laying a floor covering together, we wore masks but it was hard to stay 2m apart tbh)

Reactions: Max68 and maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: chilli with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55

Onlinecaroline

Brunch - courgette fritters, poached eggs, chorizo, halloumi and homemade hollandaise sauce. Was very tasty and fatty!

Snack - Pepsi Max and a Fibre one caramel protein bar. I didn’t need it but I had a bit of stress work afternoon.

Dinner - was meant to be buffalo chicken and broccoli but ordered Indian - garlic chicken tikka, saag paneer and some garlic mushrooms.

DGF pecan blondie with a strawberry and a cuppa

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - greek yoghurt with berries & a little raspberry benecol poured over the top

Dinner - 2 slc rolls filled with burgers, onions, a little burger relish and halloumi cheese on top. Afters of gooey mess

@maglil55 SLC order arrived yesterday - all dated until 21/2 - one good thing about the weather is it was chilled when it arrived so have put some in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Hi everyone I am a bit behind I can't even remember when I last posted my meals. is there are way of finding your last post on here I do know I have had a few breakfast/brunch which was either scrambled eggs with sourdough toast buttered and black coffee and yesterday had it with bacon.

pancake tuesday yesterday I initially was just going to have chicken wings for dinner but ended up making a quick recipe made with flour so not low carb pancakes recipe by nigella Lawson. so had two pancakes with butter and cream and dash of maple syrup and have plenty of leftovers but about an hour or so later yep you guessed it was hungry so had a plum. it is what it is I ate these foods don't want to dwell on it as it will cause me anxiety. and I've realised I go through stages when I stop eating fruit and bread then for some reason start eating them again so trying to look at foods differently and not label them as good or bad because when I do that get anxious then eat more arrrrg it is a struggle at times.

breakfast this morning

scrambled eggs made with fresh cream cooked in homemade ghee on a slice of toasted buttered sourdough (13g of carbs) and two mugs of black coffee.

late lunch salada biscuits buttered with sardines in chilli oil black tea and a small slice of watermelon and a small slice of watermelon about 28g Carbs.

I've realised I go through stages when I stop eating fruit and bread then for some reason start eating them again so trying to look at foods differently and not label them as good or bad because when I do that it is when I eat more of the foods I label as bad. so trying to be mindful is a struggle at times.

dinner will be chicken wings and a green salad with home made baba ghanoush and hummus.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found another new online shop

https://8foods.co.uk/

It's a mix of sweet and savoury. I've ordered their version of millionaire shortbread, spicy carrot cake and carrot & sesame crackers. All very low carb etc.

Quite pricey but we'll see what the quantities are like (and the taste!). Hopefully it won't get stuck in Peterborough!

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday Bed & FBG were both 6.9. @shelley262 - you certainly hit lucky with the Covid jabs. Tomorrow morning for me. @mrs A2 - I agree. What a difference a week made to the snow. I didn't need my YakTraks and I got to physio yesterday without incident. @Goonergal - that looks excellent.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with cheese triangles.
L. Nothing
D. Mattesons smoked sausage and one of these Iceland broccoli & cauliflower things. Lidl Active lolly.

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunch - greek yoghurt with berries & a little raspberry benecol poured over the top

Dinner - 2 slc rolls filled with burgers, onions, a little burger relish and halloumi cheese on top. Afters of gooey mess

@maglil55 SLC order arrived yesterday - all dated until 21/2 - one good thing about the weather is it was chilled when it arrived so have put some in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.
Mine arrived today dated 25/2. Like you bulk was straight into freezer but I kept 2 loaves in the fridge. I ran out yesterday (still had some rolls) but was delighted to see the bread arrive today.

Reactions: Mrs T 123