High blood sugar numbers

Hellybell80

Good morning all,

About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with glucose intolerance. My numbers after the glucose drink was just under what would be classified as abnormal. I had to go for yearly check ups to keep an eye on it. In that time my liver started to have high results. I had to get a blood test about 6 times in the one year. Diagnosis with fatty liver.
I eventually stopped going to the drs.
Lately I've been feeling drained, wee alot especially through the night. And have pain in my upper right part of my stomach.
Now I come from a family of type 2s. Mother grandfather and brother. My step son was a type 1 and he lived with us for most of his early years, so I know about how things go so to speak.
So because of feeling under the weather I tested my sugar levels for the first time in years last night. Two hours after I ate.
It was 16.8 OK I've never had one that high.
So I've tested my sugars this morning 11 hours on fasting no drinks food what so ever.
13.8. Again never had a high fast before.
An hour after a milky coffee its 16.3.

I'll do regular tests before meals and two hours after to see if there's a trend.
But do you think having levels like this could be diabetes?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think you should go see your doctor and get tested to see. Those are in the diabetic range, they are high, so seeing your doctor for the relevant tests asap would be your best bet. Good luck.

Hellybell80

So I ended up in A&E on Saturday as the on call Dr thought I had gall stones that had caused a blockage.
They did blood tests while there and my sugar levels were 19. Dr said it wasn't that high and not to worry about it. If I felt I needed to, to speak to my Gp.
So I did today, she had me in for blood tests with the nurse.
HbAc1 said it would be next week before the results are back.
Urine was excessively high with glucose. She was concerned.
They weren't going to do a finger pick test until I asked them too. Felt like they were trying to fob me off a bit. She did it and it was 24. She messaged the Dr next door. Dr said not to worry about it, and that they can't do anything with me until I get my results back next week.
So sat at home hot and sweaty and peeing loads.
Two pieces of toast take me over 20. Hasnt gone below 13 since I've been testing the last few days.
Going to be a long week

Reactions: dani96xx

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I ended up in A&E on Saturday as the on call Dr thought I had gall stones that had caused a blockage.
They did blood tests while there and my sugar levels were 19. Dr said it wasn't that high and not to worry about it. If I felt I needed to, to speak to my Gp.
So I did today, she had me in for blood tests with the nurse.
HbAc1 said it would be next week before the results are back.
Urine was excessively high with glucose. She was concerned.
They weren't going to do a finger pick test until I asked them too. Felt like they were trying to fob me off a bit. She did it and it was 24. She messaged the Dr next door. Dr said not to worry about it, and that they can't do anything with me until I get my results back next week.
So sat at home hot and sweaty and peeing loads.
Two pieces of toast take me over 20. Hasnt gone below 13 since I've been testing the last few days.
Going to be a long week
Im no professional but it doesn't take a genius to work out you need to be on some form of medication! Prolonged high blood sugar can lead to ketoacidosis, can you call non emergency number? Get a second opinion. Stay safe

Reactions: Hellybell80

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do ring 111 if you start to feel ill.
Diabetics can't deal with carbohydrates, so type twos tend to avoid them - some don't need medication when eating a low carb diet, if you are type one then insulin is going to be essential - and there are other variants as well, but I only need to avoid starch and sugar to be OK, no tablets or anything.
Your GP is very laid back about your numbers.
My blood glucose was 17.1 at diagnosis and my GP said I was a very bad diabetic, so please, go by how you feel, and get advice ASAP if you don't feel right.

Reactions: Hellybell80

Hellybell80

My bloods were 25 when I went to bed last night and I couldn't sleep as I was sweating and felt bad. I tested in the night it went up to 29.
The Dr dosnt want to know. The hospital didn't seem to think it was an issue at 19. I've no keytones in my urine when the tested me yesterday. So its quite possibly type 2.
Speaking to 111 only gets you in hospital where again they won't do anything.
I'll cut out carbs I don't do sugar anyway.
To be honest I havnt been eating much food at all due to it making me sick with gall stone. Ill have a coffee in the morning sometimes lunch. Which at the moment is two pieces of toast. As I can't stomach much. Then a small portion of meat and veg of some sort in the evening.

DanW13

Change GP if you’re not happy with them, or kick up a fuss if they’re not doing enough for you, write to MP or escalate via official complaint. Sadly, especially in current covid times, you need to shout & scream to get heard with some GPs, it shouldn’t be that way but it is what it is.

Sounds like you’ve gone full blown T2 & need to be on meds, at least to begin with until you get your blood sugar back under control.

Your situation sounds awful, not helped by your gall bladder issues also, but at the moment the system is ignoring you sadly, so you need to get a lot more vocal & angry with it, so it can’t ignore you.

Good luck & sending you all the best wishes I can.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am concerned at how not-concerned your care providers seem to be about your high blood sugar test results. I hope you can get someone more responsive to look at your case.

Hellybell80

I've finally spoke to my diabetic nurse this morning. Yes I have diabetes, obvious with the readings I have been getting.
Now I have been using urine test strips for the last year for urine infections, which does have a glucose test on it. My Dr told me to use them if I suspected a urine infection as I was getting a lot of kidney infections for a while.
I've never had an glucose show on it at all until just before this started a week ago. I had literally tested it about week before and it showed nothing.
My nurse has said my Hba1c result is 76. Which dosnt correspond with regular blood test results. As my lowest blood sugars ave been 13 up to 28. Usually sits at 19 through the day. So she thinks its happened quickly.
Does type 2 happen so quick? Within a week or so and get so high?
Because I have suspected gall bladder issues and under investigation for them she said there is a condition that can cause high sugar levels. Never said what though.
Because I'm being sick alot she wants me to start prandial to stimulate my pancreas to create more insulin. As she think my sugar levels are too high. At least until I have my scan beginning of March.
As of yesterday I've started to get keytones in my urine not loads just up to 1.5. So was told to keep an eye on it. But I'm not actually eating much at all at the moment due to feeling sick after eating. So maybe its that.
So at least I'm getting a bit more support now.
Thanks for all the help and support guys its much appreciated during this rollercoaster ride xx