Metformin side effects

SarahMarie

Hi everyone I was diagnosed a week before Christmas and was immediately put onto Metformin 500mg, I was told to take one tablet each day for 7 days and then increase the dosage to one tablet twice per day. I was warned that if the side effects were awful then I could be switched to slow release tablets. Well that first week the side effects were awful, I had full blown diarrhoea at least 4 or 5 times per day with very little warning beforehand. I persevered for almost 7 days before phoning my GP in tears and begging to be put on to the slow release. My GP agreed and I was instructed to start again with one slow release tablet per day for 7 days before increasing the dosage to one tablet twice per day. The side effects instantly reduced and thankfully I wasn’t rushing to the toilet multiple times per day.

The thing is, I’ve now been on the slow release tablets for 7 weeks and I’m still suffering at least 5 times per week with sudden diarrhoea usually late at night. Is it the metformin? Is it likely to settle down? Is there anything I can do to try and stop it? Could it be foods that are interacting with it?

Thanks for reading and sorry for the essay

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree that everyone should be put onto the SR version of Metformin from the start as I was. It only costs a little bit more but it does avoid most symptoms for many. Sadly NICE doesn't say that. There are some who can't tolerate either version and as it only reduces BS a small amount I would discuss stopping it with the GP.

Reactions: SarahMarie

SarahMarie

My Hba1c was 53 and was diagnosed type 2. It’s just that 7 weeks in I’m still suffering once a day at least 5 times per week. Obviously I’m pleased that the side effects are nothing like what they were originally but it’s still driving me nuts

SarahMarie

It could well settle down @SarahMarie .... but Metformin is NOT the silver bullet for diabetes as some may think, diet is.

What do your meals consist of?

I’m following the SlimmingWorld plan and attending weekly zoom meetings, I’ve lost 1.5stone since the start of October, got my award tonight
095b36bd-6d58-4733-a896-07d642e9177e.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @SarahMarie and welcome to the forum!
Have you addressed your diet as well? I ask for two reasons. Firstly Metformin will not control blood sugars by itself and secondly because I’ve heard that in some people the side effects are worse if you continue to eat high carb meals, lowering your carbs will help control your diabetes too.

SarahMarie

Hi @SarahMarie and welcome to the forum!
Have you addressed your diet as well? I ask for two reasons. Firstly Metformin will not control blood sugars by itself and secondly because I’ve heard that in some people the side effects are worse if you continue to eat high carb meals, lowering your carbs will help control your diabetes.

Thank you, I started following and attending SlimmingWorld in October, we went to zoom meetings in November when Greater Manchester went into tier 3 and as of tonight I’ve lost 1.5stone. I eat a lot of meat and veg daily, pasta/rice maybe once per week, bread/cereals once per day, potatoes several times per week. Milk/cheese/fruit daily. I’ve cut back loads on the sweets and chocolate since my diagnosis and maybe have twice per week max

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of us have success in losing weight and controlling our diabetes by eating only a very small amount of carbs, so it might be worth trying to cut out all pasta, rice, bread, potatoes and cereals, it may also solve the side effects from Metformin too.

SarahMarie

A lot of us have success in losing weight and controlling our diabetes by eating only a very small amount of carbs, so it might be worth trying to cut out all pasta, rice, bread, potatoes and cereals, it may also solve the side effects from Metformin too.

I’ll give it a whirl thanks for the advice, my initial info when I was diagnosed was pretty rubbish so trying to figure a lot of it out myself

SarahMarie

As I expected ... lousy diet plan and you weren't to even know it.

Most fruits are full of sugars, pasta / rice, bread, cereals, potatoes full of carbs which are in effect, sugars once digested. Redo required.

I did ask when I was diagnosed if I now needed to eliminate sugar and was told to reduce my intake of refined sugars (which I have) and also to limit my intake of starchy carbs which again I have done. I tend to have a baked potato alongside a meat dish around 4 times per week. I will have pasta or rice once per week and then either oats or wholemeal toast daily for breakfast. So not actually that much starchy carbs but maybe I need to rethink again. I’ll try cutting out all kinds of sugar/carbs but I’m worried it won’t be sustainable long term. Thanks for the advice

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I reacted very badly to Metformin, and to the Atorvastatin prescribed with it. I just stopped taking them. They made life unbearable.
I had eaten low carb since diagnosis, so I was getting normal blood glucose levels.
Perhaps you could ask for a reprieve and see how your Hba1c is at your next test - though it would be wise to limit your carbs from now on. You will most likely be seeing high numbers eating those dense carb foods.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Poor thing! I suffered similarly with metformin, despite being put on the slow release variety. Talk to your GP surgery as soon as possible. I suffered for months and in the end my whole life was affected by the side effects. There are other medications. Try the low carb, it really works.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @SarahMarie

If you need some ideas/more of a plan for lower carb eating, take a look at this website: https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Loads of information, recipes etc. You can get what you need for free, so no need to sign up to any of the paid plans (unles you want to!).

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Poor thing! I suffered similarly with metformin, despite being put on the slow release variety. Talk to your GP surgery as soon as possible. I suffered for months and in the end my whole life was affected by the side effects. There are other medications. Try the low carb, it really works.
All agreed, for many Metformin has no issues or the issues pass but for some it doesn't, and you shouldn't live with it not improving as there are alternatives with diet and other drugs if needed. Why live in misery?

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn't tolerate either types so I understand where you're coming from. Go low carb under 30g a day and see how that goes. Very best of luck. Its a real roller coaster being new to all this.

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply but I don't know what to eat. I hate most vegetables and salad. I couldn't stomach a cooked breakfast. Really struggling

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
@SarahMarie .... you're in far safer hands with this forum's advice than you'll ever be with SW.

Oats and toast (of any colour) are really bad for so many T2s I can't begin to count. Milk? No. Thick clotted cream? Yes

Eggs, bacon, great. Yogurt? Same.

Hi @SarahMarie @Mike d is completely correct. I followed the advice to eat oatmeal with a banana and semi skimmed milk from an NHS nutritionist and my BG level went up like a SpaceX rocket to 11.5+ mmol.

By introducing lo carb (but not to the extent of a Trappist monk's purity) I am now tracking normal BG levels by and large...

We are all different where some can tolerate toast etc no probs at all..but my carb tolerance is as useful as a chocolate fireguard...

All the best!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@FIGARO5
I didn't see any question from you, so puzzled as to why you thank somebody for a reply.
If you hate veg (and even fruit) then you can still go Low Carb by going carnivore or modified carnivore (i.e. by eating eggs & full fat dairy as well as meat & fish). The minimum amount of carbs required per day is actually ZERO ! But unless you eat liver (or liver pate) you may need to use vitamin supplements on zero carbs.
Do you like nuts? Most nuts are low carb ( peanuts, cashews and some others have a little more carbs than most). I eat Macadamia, Brazil, Walnut, Almond, Hazelnut.

philosophy47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the reply but I don't know what to eat. I hate most vegetables and salad. I couldn't stomach a cooked breakfast. Really struggling
Same here, although I do like all veggies. Can't do low carb for long as it is so limiting, and I don't really feel it's healthy to exclude so many things.