Covid vaccine and glucose readings

Kevrey

Hi everyone, had my Covid vaccine the other day, It was 5.4 before breakfast, jab at 08.40. Normal reading before evening meal would be around 6, it was 10.1. Again next morning was high for me and Evening, stayed like this for several days before coming down to normal. Anyone else found this?

Reactions: SIDIYA

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think there’s been a couple of threads detailing peoples experiences. If you use the search function you’ll see more responses.

I’ve just been for my vaccination & I expect my levels to increase over the next 24hrs

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yup, me two!

I went up to 6.6mmols, which didn't give me any problems, but might have kicked me out of ketosis. I was ok, later in the evening and normal this morning.
But I would rather have the jab!
Sore arm this morning!

There is a small amount of sucrose in the formula.

Keep safe.

Kevrey

I felt drained for a couple of days and had a very sore arm, seems the Side effects vary, some people don’t even know that have had it.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a small amount of sucrose in the formula.

Keep safe.

Is that in all the approved vaccines or just a specific one? I had Pfizer.

Levels are normal so far, tested before lunch.

Jen6

Hi everyone, had my Covid vaccine the other day, It was 5.4 before breakfast, jab at 08.40. Normal reading before evening meal would be around 6, it was 10.1. Again next morning was high for me and Evening, stayed like this for several days before coming down to normal. Anyone else found this?

Jen6

I had the Pfizer jab last Thurs pm.
My evening sugar was normal 5.7 Sun Mon Last night was 7.2 morning ones okay. Hardly at yesterday as well. Hoping it will be better tonight.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is that in all the approved vaccines or just a specific one? I had Pfizer.

Levels are normal so far, tested before lunch.

Pfizer jab. Don't know about Oxford Zenica.

Levels are fine, dry throat, sore arm but I'm having a good day after counselling.

Stay safe

Reactions: TashT1

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I had the Pfizer jab a week + 1 day ago.

First couple of days I felt tired (my usual reaction to vaccines).
Next couple of days I had sore knees.
Last couple of days I have had elevated BG - mainly over (sometimes well over) 8 which is high for me.
This complicated by changing Libre sensors yesterday.
Sore ankles today.

I have no real idea if the BG is due to the vaccine as all seemed normal for the first couple of days.
However I can't point to anything else which might have caused it.

However I didn't expect changing (probably) after effects for over a week.

Reactions: DJC3 and OrsonKartt

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another Pfizer "jabee". I've had no rise in glucose levels due to the vaccination which was about a week and a half ago now, just a few expected post meal increases due to some over indulgences in carbs. All I had was a slightly achey arm for a short while that night, and was then a bit tired with a slight headache for a day or two during the first week. I have a long term and intermittent NON-Covid cough which has played up a bit this week but I'm not sure what to blame that on!

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Body's immune response will get activated after any vaccine, and to do so your body will need some extra energy and liver will start dumping some sugar into your blood which may cause slight elevation in the blood sugar reading over the course of few days. Actually you will see the same BG response during any infections or illness. I had mine yesterday morning Pfizer and after lunch till the time to bed mu BG was stuck between 6.2-7 gm/dl which is unusual for me. I am saving my strips today because i used almost 7 strips yesterday until late in the night i realised i had a vaccine :) I will owe this to the vaccine based on the reports i am reading online. However, the long-term benefits of vaccine are much valuable than this slight increase :) Just stay hydrated.

PS: I forgot to mention that it seems from my reading this response is different in D1 & D2 patients and also which vaccine you took. Here is a short clip of Dr. Bernstein experience of his Pfizer first dose:

Reactions: oldgreymare

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So just to update you guys, this high BG stayed for almost 36 hours. From this afternoon, i am back to 5s mmol/L postprandial, which was the normal before the vaccine. I didn't have any other symptoms though, just a bit of shoulder discomfort for 24 hours. Please share your experience of vaccine.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgreymare

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m really pleased to find this thread. I had the Oxford vax at the end of Jan and apart from a bit of a sore arm for a day or 2 I felt fine. After about a week my BGs started to rise. I couldn’t figure it out as I wasn’t doing anything differently, same low carb eating, same amount of exercise. I put it down to work stress in the end, but a few days ago levels dropped back to normal for no apparent reason.
@PenguinMum suggested it might have been due to to vaccination, and reading around the forum it seems that is probably the case.
I feel quite comforted by the thought that my immune system is gearing itself up.