Low carb diet with food intolerances

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been Type 2 Diabetic since 2011. Metformin SR 1500mg per day since day 1. Last Hba1c was 60 which was down from 69. Just had another test this morning as my blood sugars have gone haywire. Tried two lots of additional medication and an increase in Metformin, terrible side effects. Now I am also lactose and gluten intolerant and have IBS which I have managed to control by diet i.e. no fruit, no legumes, wheat and dairy. I have gluten free porridge and I make my own Spelt bread which is the only one I can tolerate. How can I have a low carb diet without starving to death, any ideas.

@FIGARO5 here’s your new thread.

(Edited by moderator for context as post was moved from another thread).

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try Carnivore.. all animal produce with some dairy if you can tolerate?
Been know to resolve IBS as well as many other digestive problems.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb is very easy to follow if you cannot eat fruit, legumes, wheat and dairy. Just eat all kinds of meat, eggs, fish/seafood, and green + above ground veggies. No need for any "gluten-free" porridge or bread products at all.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been Type 2 Diabetic since 2011. Metformin SR 1500mg per day since day 1. Last Hba1c was 60 which was down from 69. Just had another test this morning as my blood sugars have gone haywire. Tried two lots of additional medication and an increase in Metformin, terrible side effects. Now I am also lactose and gluten intolerant and have IBS which I have managed to control by diet i.e. no fruit, no legumes, wheat and dairy. I have gluten free porridge and I make my own Spelt bread which is the only one I can tolerate. How can I have a low carb diet without starving to death, any ideas.

@FIGARO5 here’s your new thread.

(Edited by moderator for context as post was moved from another thread).

Hi,

I’m gluten and whey intolerant, with all grains causing a problem. Also major issues with most artificial sweeteners, fodmap veg, potatoes, tomatoes, pepper and aubergines.

so you aren’t alone with a restricted way of eating.

first question: how are your vit D levels? Low levels are linked to food intolerances, and getting levels to optimum can help a great deal.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/vitamin-d-deficiency-causes-asthma-and-allergies-83031

I was carnivore for 3 years, and enjoyed it. No reason not to develop a very enjoyable carni eating plan that is delicious, sustainable and wholly nutritious. Don’t fall for the myth that you can’t eat a very nutritious diet from animal products.
Over the last month or so, I have been easing off carni and loving the increased variety, but I have no idea whether my body and my food intolerances will allow me to stay non-carni for long. Time will tell. I am certainly enjoying the journey.

Last edited:

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I’m gluten and whey intolerant, with all grains causing a problem. Also major issues with most artificial sweeteners, fodmap veg, potatoes, tomatoes, pepper and aubergines.

so you aren’t alone with a restricted way of eating.

first question: how are your vit D levels? Low levels are linked to food intolerances, and getting levels to optimum can help a great deal.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/vitamin-d-deficiency-causes-asthma-and-allergies-83031

I was carnivore for 3 years, and enjoyed it. No reason not to develop a very enjoyable carni eating plan that is delicious, sustainable and wholly nutritious. Don’t fall for the myth that you can’t eat a very nutritious diet from animal products.
Over the last month or so, I have been easing off carni and loving the increased variety, but I have no idea whether my body and my food intolerances will allow me to stay non-carni for long. Time will tell. I am certainly enjoying the journey.

Hi, thanks for replying

I take Vitamin D and Calcium tablets everyday due to lack of dairy. I have been on Soya since a child. I am now 55. I don't mind eating lots of meat and fish but the only veg I like are peas, carrots and tomatoes( which I cant tolerate ) I also cant tolerate Pork. What do I eat for breakfast? I can't just live on meat and eggs?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thanks for replying
What do I eat for breakfast? I can't just live on meat and eggs?

breakfast is easy.

Cold meat and cheese (cold)
omelettes (hot or cold)
Scrambled eggs
Non-pork Sausages (good gf lc ones). These can be cooked in advance and the eaten cold or reheated.
Kippers, herring, smoked salmon
And so on... at one point I was having tuna in olive oil, eaten with a teaspoon out of the tin, because it was quick, easy, set me up for the day and my morning schedule was extremely tight.

you can also eat anything you would eat at any other time of day, hot or cold. No reason why you can’t cook a bit extra the night before and have that the next breakfast. I regularly have curry leftovers for brunch.

or just skip breakfast altogether, on days when that feels right.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I can't stand eggs for breakfast and only limited amounts at other times - and hate cooking early in the morning. I don't always have breakfast but when I do then I have cereal made from milled flaxseed and chia seeds with nuts, seeds, and cinnamon. Nice served with any nut cream or coconut cream. I still have a sweet tooth so I add a little sugar free maple flavour syrup.

I mainly eat fish and chicken plus green vegs and loads of cauliflower (rice and mash).
I can have dairy, but you could also try nut milks, eg cashew, or coconut milk. Also a nut or coconut plain yogurt is nice (can you manage a few raspberries in it as they are fairly low carb?).

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast is easy.

Cold meat and cheese (cold)
omelettes (hot or cold)
Scrambled eggs
Non-pork Sausages (good gf lc ones). These can be cooked in advance and the eaten cold or reheated.
Kippers, herring, smoked salmon
And so on... at one point I was having tuna in olive oil, eaten with a teaspoon out of the tin, because it was quick, easy, set me up for the day and my morning schedule was extremely tight.

you can also eat anything you would eat at any other time of day, hot or cold. No reason why you can’t cook a bit extra the night before and have that the next breakfast. I regularly have curry leftovers for brunch.

or just skip breakfast altogether, on days when that feels right.

I can't stomach eggs everyday. Smoked food is out yuk!! I would struggle with a meat and eggs diet due to my dislike of above ground veg. I am doomed lol

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would struggle with a meat and eggs diet due to my dislike of above ground veg.
Then try a meat only diet without the veg or eggs?
Perfectly do-able and the health benefits could be multiple.

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Let us know what you decide to try and how it goes please.

Just had a phone call from Drs. My Hbc1a was 60 in September and is now 74 I haven't changed anything in my diet or lifestyle. They want a repeat of my full blood count which includes serotonin!! My anxiety has been through the roof since Covid. This could explain my figures. Either my Metformin isn't working any more or my anti depressants. I am so scared right now