Just been told to shield

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
and all of these scores & replies go to show it's a flipping lottery!

Doireallyneedanams

Well, my jab is booked for next week.

Based on the experiences I’ve been reading, it could well be the risk of diabetes to those with historic gestational diabetes being quite a problem as we are already at risk and covid would likely exasperate this further. Combined with other factors, weight, area etc.

I have never had any serious medical diagnosis and Im 32 years old, so it just can’t be anything else. I don’t see how it makes me need to shield, but then again the letter says the “easiest way to prioritise me is to include me within the CEV group” so I assume that is quite clear that it doesn’t necessarily make me CEV, just high risk (according to the algorithm.. which must be using my old BMI)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have several conditions, including diabetes, obesity, asthma and gestational diabetes and......

Nothing. Crickets.

Maybe because I am in Wales?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, my jab is booked for next week.

Based on the experiences I’ve been reading, it could well be the risk of diabetes to those with historic gestational diabetes being quite a problem as we are already at risk and covid would likely exasperate this further. Combined with other factors, weight, area etc.

I have never had any serious medical diagnosis and Im 32 years old, so it just can’t be anything else. I don’t see how it makes me need to shield, but then again the letter says the “easiest way to prioritise me is to include me within the CEV group” so I assume that is quite clear that it doesn’t necessarily make me CEV, just high risk (according to the algorithm.. which must be using my old BMI)
In which case, and seeing as vaccinations have reached group 6 (cv) anyway, why not add such people to the cv group rather than the cev shielded group ahead of those with active diabetes as opposed to potential diabetes? Not a moan at you but simply doesn’t make sense.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just had letters off dept of health for all of us, we have to shield until 31 March, I just thought, I didn't read what year!

Anyway, I'm planning a huge party on 1st April, the kids will think it's an April fool's joke!

Keep safe.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Doireallyneedanams

In which case, and seeing as vaccinations have reached group 6 (cv) anyway, why not add such people to the cv group rather than the cev shielded group ahead of those with active diabetes as opposed to potential diabetes? Not a moan at you but simply doesn’t make sense.

No idea. It doesn’t make sense. Someone said perhaps because a diagnosed diabetic is usually aware of their condition and attempting to control their condition, whereas after gestational there could be women going about daily life with undiagnosed diabetes and unruly glucose, none the wiser.

Lilylala

No letter as yet score 70/100 and type 2 on insulin bmi of 32 and aged 52 and also main carer for 80 years old ??

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine is 19/100!
I cannot understand why a woman of childbearing age with no other conditions would be at any risk worthy of shielding even if you live somewhere it is more likely that you will catch the dreaded 'rona.
Hopefully you do not always do what you are told e.g. further deprive yourself of living a normal life and perhaps causing yourself and your family stress, by spending too long worrying about this instruction to shield.
The other thing to think about is ethnicity as I understand that this has been taken into the calculations as a way to achieve further vaccine take up by certain communities. If you had this letter I think it comes with a fast tracked jab but not had that letter either so can't confirm.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
and all of these scores & replies go to show it's a flipping lottery!
Yup 66/100
No letter, and don't expect one. Healthy BMI and hba1c, diabetes type 2 my only condition. I think type 2 scores higher that type 1?

People lower score getting letters... Well something is totally not right

MarkHaZ123

Iv also been told to shield. Came in to a letter telling me I was advised to because of health reasons.

I'm type 1 but have no other conditions. I'm generally fit, cycle alot and play football normally but also my hba1c came right down over the last year. I'm only 36 aswell

The only reasons I can think are either on my eye screening they told me I had a slight change at the back of the eyes but nothing to worry about
I also had an inflamed stomach back in November which caused a few issues but all seems to be OK. I'm still taking lanzoprazole for that.

It's strange to of been asked when so many haven't

There's no way I can shield though. I am self employed and rely on work to live, I can't claim due to accounts reasons in the last 2 years. Changed things over to a new business so it was less than 2 years old.
I'm a bathroom fitter so in people's houses all the time and shopping for materials when needed.
Il just have to carry on as Iv been doing for the last year

Reactions: KK123

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Iv also been told to shield. Came in to a letter telling me I was advised to because of health reasons.

I'm type 1 but have no other conditions. I'm generally fit, cycle alot and play football normally but also my hba1c came right down over the last year. I'm only 36 aswell

The only reasons I can think are either on my eye screening they told me I had a slight change at the back of the eyes but nothing to worry about
I also had an inflamed stomach back in November which caused a few issues but all seems to be OK. I'm still taking lanzoprazole for that.

It's strange to of been asked when so many haven't

There's no way I can shield though. I am self employed and rely on work to live, I can't claim due to accounts reasons in the last 2 years. Changed things over to a new business so it was less than 2 years old.
I'm a bathroom fitter so in people's houses all the time and shopping for materials when needed.
Il just have to carry on as Iv been doing for the last year
I have some background retinopathy, on the basis of your age and only diabetes on the scoring, if you have to shield then so should pretty much every diabetic in the country, yet many/most haven't. your stomach issues aren't part of that scoring. Unless you live in a really bad place, I score worse than you in the order of 20 points

Seriously not sure if I should be concerned I haven't had a letter or happy. Looks like they did a random generator!

DJTT1

I’ve scored 91/100, but not received anything from NHS to shield. Does anyone know if it possible to check details held on NHS digital database for errors?

Doireallyneedanams

I’ve scored 91/100, but not received anything from NHS to shield. Does anyone know if it possible to check details held on NHS digital database for errors?

It’s so bizarre. Mine if I assume type 2 includes gestational, is 46/100 and I’m to shield. Without, it’s 19/100. Apparently it’s not solely that calculator that assesses you though, it’s alongside your medical records. Of which there is no serious disease on mine. So, so strange

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s so bizarre. Mine if I assume type 2 includes gestational, is 46/100 and I’m to shield. Without, it’s 19/100. Apparently it’s not solely that calculator that assesses you though, it’s alongside your medical records. Of which there is no serious disease on mine. So, so strange
Utterly shambolic
Why can't I say I'm not surprised though

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Via your gp?